Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should I reroll a new guy to learn how to tank?

myrrrorb14_ESO
myrrrorb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I haven't played a tank in forever. Well before the switch to no regen while blocking.

I have an idea on a Templar Magicka tank I want to try out, but not sure if I should use my current character or start fresh and learn from the ground up.

Any advice?

Best Answers

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Search the forums, I've answered plenty on Magicka Templar tanking.

I will say this though.

As a Magicka Templar you can do all 3 roles in veteran dungeons by just changing gear. If I'm with my guild, I'll actually heal and tank and have 3 DPS.
    PC EU
    Answer ✓
  • gdefter
    gdefter
    ✭✭
    as mentioned above,if you want to just try it out,then just reroll.What i am going to add is that there are differences in end game,a redguard cannot be as powerful a magicka sorc as an altmer no matter what you do,same goes for playing roles,a nord is meant for a tank,a khajiit for burst damage dps,yes you can do a khajiit magicka templar,but in end game and pvp,you re going to be put at major disadvantages from your enemies who have the same class with you,but proper race.That being said,if you want to try something,reroll,but if you want to really feel it,that is being a tank,you should pick a race that is good at this,nords for example,or imperials for a more versatile build.My advice is always pick the right race for your new character's playstyle,trust me,it really is worth it ;)
    Answer ✓
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class can be any role. Even if some classes might be better than others for certain roles, the difference is often barely noticeable. I say stick with the character you already have and reset your attributes, skills, and champion passives to suit your needs. You can always switch back again later if you change your mind.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your just looking to "try something out" and don't have a specific build in mind you know is OP, I suggest using the character you already have. What is your current character? and what's holding you back from using it?
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently a Vet 16 Breton Templar.

Trying out different gear and skill combinations can be a bit expensive, but I suppose what's holding me back is that I'm at end game being a newbie trying to learn tanking skills.

My Google search didn't produce a very big list on current magicka templar tank builds, but I will search these forums in more detail later.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently a Vet 16 Breton Templar.

Trying out different gear and skill combinations can be a bit expensive, but I suppose what's holding me back is that I'm at end game being a newbie trying to learn tanking skills.

My Google search didn't produce a very big list on current magicka templar tank builds, but I will search these forums in more detail later.
    Although it can be somewhat cumbersome it's actually quite easy to level skills by doing either the dailies in cyrodiil (if you haven't already) or by grinding the sewers. Simply keep 1 or 2 dps grind skills on your bar and then put 2-3 of the tanking skills as well, not to use but to simply level as you kill things.

Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just about finished maxing out my skills that I was concidering. Wasn't too bad, just put them on bar while finishing various achievements. Oddly enough doing low level stuff can still level skills.
    Edited by myrrrorb14_ESO on January 14, 2016 8:28PM