Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

glyphing a nirnhoned staff

wlb
wlb
✭✭
i'm going to start crafting my own dest and rest staves with the nirnhoned trait. my question is what kind of glyph should i craft for them. im a high elf sorc with 2 light and 5 medium 25k magica and 15k health. what kind of a glyph works best with a staff and my build. should i use an elemental fire/ice/shock or try a life drain/magica drain. even a disease glyph is doable im a v7. thanks for any input, give me your thoughts.

Best Answer

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In general desease for pvp, fire / poison for pve, but I can't tell if that's the best for you since you play a very uncommen build. You do know that using staves and other magicka based skills benefits from wearing light armour whereas medium armour has buffs for stamina based skills?
    Answer ✓
  • wlb
    wlb
    ✭✭
    yeah it is uncommon but it suits my style which is a little bit of everything i dont expect to be champ in pvp or other specialized arenas i just wander all over the map _in cyrodiil i wanted to change my name to "dies on bridge" im just interested in how the spell resistence and spell penetration of nirnhoned could be used to the best advantage.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVP use disease, and for PVE use poison.

The biggest question I have, is why are you using destro/resto staves rather than dual swords on you main bar, and a staff on your back bar? You're giving up a 15% increase in spell power, plus an extra set piece and bonus as well.
  • wlb
    wlb
    ✭✭
    dual wielding is based on reaction time and reflexes for speed and response time, my reflexes aren't that great, this is the first mmo i've ever played and the only game in pvp _ i find that action at a distance gives me my best chance of making it off alive that bridge twixt allessia and sejanus :) my basic question is with what power does the spell penetration of nirnhoned work best? i guess ill craft two staves with disease and poison and see which works best in various circumstances thanks for the advice
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What reaction time? You're just holding the two swords and casting as usual. If you want to wail on something, then have at it, but you'd just use the swords like you would your staves. Except you'll be increasing your spell power by 15%, and get an extra set item to get bonuses from. Oh, and better resists because you'll be wielding two nirnhoned weapons instead of just one.
  • Love_Chunks
    Love_Chunks
    ✭✭✭
    Your build makes me cry on the inside. My advice, dont waste nirnhoned on v7 weapons. Use sharpened destro staff and precise on you resto staff. Even more so, once you've realized staves and their skills are garbage with medium armor, sharpened swords/2hand/bow will be more beneficial. That or change to atleast 5 light armor and keep the destro staff sharpened until you reach v16. Glyphs are pretty much what people mentioned already save for using a glyph of rage on one of your swords if you decide to use the dual wield skill line.
    Me: It's[WB spamming DK] a really cheesy build
    Guildy: I like cheese with my wine, and WB creates some really good wine.
  • wlb
    wlb
    ✭✭
    all this reminds me of the old teso joke "How do you tell a player from a NPC? The NPC is tastefully dressed." o:)
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    out of interest why would dual wield give a 15% spell power boost @Pomaikai ? Sorry if its a dumb question.

I'm a sorc too, dual wield on back bar to get another set (5 LA Magnus, 2 LA Torugs Pact + 1 Staff, and 2 Dual Wield Seducer (so i get Mag Regen on the back bar) i'm all about maxing spell damage / power so interested!

Sorry to digress your thread @wlb ;)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • wlb
    wlb
    ✭✭
    i think he says that you will have two nirnhoned weapons in play at once instead of just a single two handed staff each of the swords will add 14 percent spell penetration if improved to superior quality -blue, i may be wrong
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    out of interest why would dual wield give a 15% spell power boost @Pomaikai ? Sorry if its a dumb question.

I'm a sorc too, dual wield on back bar to get another set (5 LA Magnus, 2 LA Torugs Pact + 1 Staff, and 2 Dual Wield Seducer (so i get Mag Regen on the back bar) i'm all about maxing spell damage / power so interested!

Sorry to digress your thread @wlb ;)

It doesn't increase spell damage. It does increase damage though, but only on the tooltip of skills. The reason is the last passive under dial wield - twin blade and blunt. Increases damage while dual wielding by 5%. Plus you get an extra set piece.
    wlb wrote: »
    i think he says that you will have two nirnhoned weapons in play at once instead of just a single two handed staff each of the swords will add 14 percent spell penetration if improved to superior quality -blue, i may be wrong

The value on a staff is double that of a one handed sword. So other a staff or two swords will give same penetration and spell resistance.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks, I read increasing spell power by 15% and got excited. Actually, what's the difference between spell power and spell damage? I assumed same thing, but set traits talk damage, but my mundus stone says spell power. Is that different then?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I read increasing spell power by 15% and got excited. Actually, what's the difference between spell power and spell damage? I assumed same thing, but set traits talk damage, but my mundus stone says spell power. Is that different then?

It does increase spell power. Equip two swords and look at your character sheet, then equip a staff and do the same.