The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dunmer Vampire Worship Question

Lokryn
Lokryn
✭✭✭✭
So, my main character is a Dunmer Vampire Nightblade and I'm coming up with his backstory. I like to roleplay him as close as possible to what the "Vestige" experiences without actually being the main hero of the story. So, I made him a soul shriven and a Noxiphilic Sanguivoria vampire. Despite the Dunmer hatred of undead, he still identifies as a Dunmer first and vampire second. Naturally, he has to hide his true nature from other Dunmer since being exposed means certain death.

So, with all that in mind, I'm trying to think of who my character would worship or at least revere. Traditionally, Vampires worship Molag Bal but based on the Scion of the Blood Matron quest, my character hates both Molag Bal and Arkay. The Tribunal is out because of the strict doctrine against vampires. Should he look to the "Good Daedra"? Can you guys give your opinions on a good fit for who he could worship? Thanks.

• Arshiya
    Arshiya
    ✭✭
    I think safe bet for him would be Azura whos domain is dusk and the dawn. Also if you a dunmer, are you EP? Just asking cause I rp a vampire on EP, though she seems to have next to zero religion.
    I am well aware that there is no need to feed that often. I just want to. Amy.
    Otherwise I play on PC platform on EU.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I play on NA server.
  • Arshiya
    Arshiya
    ✭✭
    Ah no worries, but wait a moment, let me reconsider. Perhaps you could derive your woship from your occupation. In terms of dunmeri traditions, Boethiah is a no go given you are a vampire, now if you had shady occupation (Morag Tong) Mephala would be your path.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mephala could certainly be an option. But I wonder who the Morag Tong revere during this time period, Mephala or Vivec. If it's Vivec of the Tribunal, that wouldn't work. In that case, my character could join the Dark Brotherhood who still reveres Mephala and especially Sithis. That could be interesting.

• Arshiya
    Arshiya
    ✭✭
    Lokryn wrote: »
    Mephala could certainly be an option. But I wonder who the Morag Tong revere during this time period, Mephala or Vivec. If it's Vivec of the Tribunal, that wouldn't work. In that case, my character could join the Dark Brotherhood who still reveres Mephala and especially Sithis. That could be interesting.

Mhmm well I have my doubts, though it seems that the brotherhood revering Mephala is rather general belief, yet any proof is hard to find in-game. But that discussion belongs elsewhere:)
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    True. The connection with Mephala being the Night Mother of the Dark Brotherhood is only rumor. Whereas, Mephala helped directly founded the Morag Tong.
  • Arshiya
    Arshiya
    ✭✭
    Still, one of my favorite mystery. Perhaps given dunmeri worshipped Mephala such asset had to be taken into account whereas multinational Dark Brotherhood is perhaps difficult to manage.
  • crashen17b14_ESO
    crashen17b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You don't necessarily need to worship anyone. But if you do, there is no reason you can't worship say, Almalexia from afar, and sort of 'beg forgiveness' from Mother Morrowind for your condition. That would drum up some interesting internal conflict, hopefully without devolving into the typical maudlin self-hating vampire.

On the other hand, the daedra have as many aspects and facets as they do followers. You could have a unique perspective of a daedra and worship a certain aspect of them. Nocturnal would be a good choice, given that she is the patron of darkness and night. My breton vampire blood-mage reveres Namira as his patron, viewing her as a guardian of the diseased, shunned, forgotten and outcasts. Why? Because he used to be a healer, but became infected with a unique strain of vampirism when trying to stop some sort of plague outbreak in a nameless village. His strain of vampirism leaves him scarred, deformed and decayed looking, making him an outcast and shunned as a leper. In time, he came to see Namira as his benefactor, teaching him the ways of being unseen by those around him (much like a beggar).

To him, Namira isn't just the daedric prince of crawling darkness and disease, she's the protector of those afflicted by such things. So there is no reason different daedra can't mean different things to different people. Get creative! Get unique!
  • Arshiya
    Arshiya
    ✭✭
    Breton vampire blood mage? Have...have we met before? Anyway guess Dunmeri worship is tad more complex matter, given tribunal isn't fond of vampires, but general daedric religion never hurts. MY breton vampire blood sorceress actually does not have a prefered deity (apart from Molag Bal whom she is afraid of), though her view on worship and religion is heavily biased given her past.
    Edited by Arshiya on January 13, 2016 11:54AM
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting concept crashen! I like it.

Nocturnal would be a good one since he is an accomplished thief and spy. I think I might make a backstory with my character revering both Nocturnal and Mephala. Thanks guys.