Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [EXTENDED] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The broken spearhead broken?

freelancer492
Don't know what to do here.. Trying to do the broken spearhead but I can't talk to captain kaleen. So I went and explored and did the quests but now irien isn't showing up so I can't get into the grave...
  • freelancer492
    I abandoned the quest and now I can't even get it back.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you did Innocent Scoundrel, Like Moths to a Candle, or Buried Secrets, then The Broken Spearhead will no longer be available. You should get The Spearhead's Captain or The Spearhead's Crew instead though.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Mephane
    Mephane
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    If you did Innocent Scoundrel, Like Moths to a Candle, or Buried Secrets, then The Broken Spearhead will no longer be available. You should get The Spearhead's Captain or The Spearhead's Crew instead though.

If only I had known 10 minutes earlier. Not knowing any of the NPCs to recruit, In the original dialog I just picked Lerisa. Then I soon met Jakarn first in the to free him and then into the goblin cave. I like the character and decided I would recruit him instead, so I aborted "The Broken Spearhead"... big mistake. Now I cannot get that quest again. Jakarn however now offers me a quest which leads to him being recruited, but

a) I have permanently missed out on "The Broken Spearhead", which also means my total quest count forever is 1 less that it could be, should be.
    b) The way Captain Kaleen now talks to me in this new quest, it is more like some random stranger who approaches her in the tavern, as opposed to before after she rescued me when I was basically automatically considered part of the crew.

In any single player RPG, that would be the moment to immediately reload a previous save. But no, this being an MMO, it's been broken permanently. I've lost all my will to even to keep going with this story and questing, knowing I have unknowingly sabotaged it.
    - Bosmer Nightblade Archer -
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mephane wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    If only I had known 10 minutes earlier. Not knowing any of the NPCs to recruit, In the original dialog I just picked Lerisa. Then I soon met Jakarn first in the to free him and then into the goblin cave. I like the character and decided I would recruit him instead, so I aborted "The Broken Spearhead"... big mistake. Now I cannot get that quest again. Jakarn however now offers me a quest which leads to him being recruited, but

a) I have permanently missed out on "The Broken Spearhead", which also means my total quest count forever is 1 less that it could be, should be.
    b) The way Captain Kaleen now talks to me in this new quest, it is more like some random stranger who approaches her in the tavern, as opposed to before after she rescued me when I was basically automatically considered part of the crew.

In any single player RPG, that would be the moment to immediately reload a previous save. But no, this being an MMO, it's been broken permanently. I've lost all my will to even to keep going with this story and questing, knowing I have unknowingly sabotaged it.
    @Mephane I assume you completed one of those three quests after aborting The Broken Spearhead? From what you have said, it sounds like you finished Innocent Scoundrel and Jakarn is going to give you The Spearhead's Captain. You could try talking to Kaleen instead of picking up that quest from Jakarn, but I don't know what that will do. If you can't get The Broken Spearhead again, then the only difference is a couple of lines of dialogue and missing out on 85 Gold and 54 XP, which is not a big deal in the long run.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Mephane
    Mephane
    ✭✭✭
    I finished Innocent Scoundrel while I had The Broken Spearhead active. Only afterwards I realized that Jakarn was a) such a cool guy to have around b) one of the three recruitment choices, c) not the one I had picked. So I aborted and wanted to take the recruitment choice anew.

In a single player RPG I'd just reload for the game messing up like that, here I can't. I am also not so much concerned about the bit of gold or XP, but a) total quests completed (I am a quest completionist type of player) and b) the way Kaleen now treats me, like a creepy stranger who talks to her in a tavern, no longer like the one she rescued out of the ocean.
    - Bosmer Nightblade Archer -
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that interaction with Kaleen is a bit odd, but you'll soon get past it. As you go through the game, if you play the storylines "in order", there are quite a few quests that you'll miss out on, because some of them are solely "pointer quests" to get you back to where you should be if you go too far ahead. Because of that, while they do count towards "total quests", I don't worry about whether I have done every possible pointer quest or not, because doing the storyline in the right order makes more sense to me.