Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [EXTENDED] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stomping Sinmur

Giggs
Giggs
Soul Shriven
I understand folks have said that this particular quest is bugged.
I too am one of those.
When I started the quest to stomp Sinmur only one of the NPC's was working. The dps caster it's name fails me. Seeing Sinmurs health and only being lvl 37 at the time I was fearful that I would die. My first attempt I was being crushed and he would 2 shot me. So I paused for a moment and thought that here have got to be other quests that I have not completed to get these other NPC's working. Sure enough I started to find them. Each of the quest's I had started and completed had what I'll call distictive "red/burgundy tents" low and behold each of the NPC's that I helped/completed quests for in turn helped me to finish off Sinmur. This is not to say that the final quest is not bugged or shall we say working as intended. Having to kite the Sinmur around for 30 minutes was not a fun experience. The NPC's would hold aggro for a short period of time, and then Sinmur would come running after me. So my strategy as was to knock at his ankles while the NPC's had his attention avoid bad and when his attention turned to me I ran while kiting him I would cast and slowy but surely he died, this was a rinse and repeat process and I was kiting him everywhere I could to keep him at distance. I was able to continue on my journey, and now questing in Coldharbour.

I hope this of some help to folks who are having some difficulty with this one.
  • Lorgren_Benirus
    This quest worked without issues for me.

SPOILERS BELOW!

First, for best result you need to complete all other quests in The Rift, or at least the ones related to that quest chain and gather all of the Wuuthrad shards. Then, when you get to the summit to battle Sinmur, don't just charge in. Stand back, let the NPC's do their talking and then let them attack, just keep following them. Don't engage enemy until they do. Sure, they're slow witted and take time before they engage but they will do it. Keep doing it until you reach Sinmur.

And yes, Sinmur has loads of health. But if you think you have to keep chipping that down then you're not entirely correct. You did collect the Wuuthrad shards and they were brought up there by the king for a reason. Look around on the altars during the Sinmur fight, you can find the shards there. USE the shards and the fight will be quite different.
    Edited by Lorgren_Benirus on April 19, 2014 9:32AM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've just done this quest and was given no indication in the game that I should complete other quests before this. Not only is that poor design in itself (after all, you got a hint with saving people of Bleakrock), but I feel I'll be paying twice if those quests are no longer available to me for at least some xp.

That being said, I did manage to kill him by using my bow and kiting him down the stairs into the large circular area below. I then proceeded to bore myself silly kiting him around, throwing out degeneration and the odd arrow once I'd made enough distance. Took me a good 10-15 minutes.
  • miegaliustheone
    Thete wrote: »
    Well, I've just done this quest and was given no indication in the game that I should complete other quests before this.

This is not quite right. Npc giving you quest, tells that fight would be easier with "companions" (friends) or/and shards of Wuuthrad,event tells where to find them, and ads marker on map (if you do not have one). Of course it is not underlined, written in red, and otherwise emphasized, that it will be hard without them. I ran into boss, died few times, came here (searched forum), canceled quest, and then listened to quest giver :)

Now I am collecting shards (found much more quests than expected)
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've just done this quest and was given no indication in the game that I should complete other quests before this.

This is not quite right. Npc giving you quest, tells that fight would be easier with "companions" (friends) or/and shards of Wuuthrad,event tells where to find them, and ads marker on map

Didn't get any of those things.
  • stvhierro
    stvhierro
    Soul Shriven
    I have done something that worked! Just abandon all your quests except main story and Stomping Sinmur will work!!
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to collect the shards and then use them midfight.

I wish people in this game would read the damn quest text and take a moment to interact with the NPC's instead of clicking their way obliviously as if in a hurry to get through the game.
  • stungateb14_ESO
    stungateb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Crescent wrote: »
    You need to collect the shards and then use them midfight.

I wish people in this game would read the damn quest text and take a moment to interact with the NPC's instead of clicking their way obliviously as if in a hurry to get through the game.

I wish the damn developer would give us a damn quest tracker api function instead the halfassed counter.
  • iolowynhughesb16_ESO
    iolowynhughesb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    How many shards are there exactly?

I have the shaft part, and one shard so far, but all I have is the quest to meet Jorunn at Arcwind. Surely there're more pieces?
  • SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    I believe there are 2 shards...at least that is how many I have atm, but my quest still seems to be broken. The Skald-King, Walks-in-Ash, The Nord with the eye-patch and the Dunmer dude are all there on the platform. There is no chatter among them and they do not attack the npc mobs at all. Also, the giant I came to slay is not anywhere.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are 3 shards, still, if sinmur doesn't spawn, file a bug report.
  • WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Have collected all three shards, have completed all Rift Quests. There is no NPC grouping within the Sinmur area. Having killed all the cultist, Sinmur doesn't appear within the compass highlighted area.
    Have filed a bug report.
    Alarm clocks kill dreams. A conclusion is simply where you stopped thinking. The measure of the greatness of a society lies in how it treats its weakest members.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    He spawns higher up and walks down - at least, that's what I've found. The compass and map are wrong.
  • VampiricOmen
    VampiricOmen
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I helped a friend defeat Sinmur yesterday, and it was the longest, most drawn out fight I'd ever come across in ESO. The NPCs weren't doing anything and another player happened along a third of the way into the fight. He hits like a truck but is relatively slow, enough so that my level 40 NB wasn't stomped into the ground like I had been expecting when my attacks only moved a fraction of his health bar with each hit. Although my mana magicka was taking a right beating with the frequency that I had been casting Strife (used stamina abilities for DPS), only one death happened between the three people attacking him. Avoid the club to the ground attack that diverts three ways by skirting around the sides. Those hurt, as does the red cone of death.

I was dreading coming across this quest when I finally moved on from the previous Zone (still in Eastmarch), but now armed with this knowledge, the fight might be one to look forward to.
    Edited by VampiricOmen on June 29, 2014 12:03AM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If working properly, EP's last quest is actually the easiest among all three factions. lol
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with this whole quest chain is that it's possible to collect the shards BEFORE Wuuthrad shatters in Arcwind Point.

Those quests should NOT unlock until after the axe flies apart.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with this whole quest chain is that it's possible to collect the shards BEFORE Wuuthrad shatters in Arcwind Point.

There are loads of quests that make no sense if you do them out of order. It isn't worth necroing a year old thread over it ;)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

There are loads of quests that make no sense if you do them out of order. It isn't worth necroing a year old thread over it ;)
    I've bug reported it, but I thought it made perfect sense to bring it up so other players can be on the lookout for it.

In this case, these are tangential quests that should only unlock after Arcwind Point. Not that hard to fix, I would imagine.

B)
  • Ghamorra
    Ghamorra
    I went ahead and fought Sinmur while my fiance was running around to finish her Pact Hero achievement. I had all the pieces of Wuuthrad and all the companions. Sinmur seriously took me 30 minutes and I was level 43 when I fought him. It was boring and fairly lame as my NPCs couldn't hold agro and I spent a vast majority of the battle healing and summoning. Eventually he died.

Roughly an hour later my fiance wanted to take him on so I joined her. We went up to the platform where Sinmur was for me and without fighting him she received notice that she completed the quest. Didn't even lift a blade.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did this quest at VR11 (I'm Daggerfall so Sinmur was a VR10 rank)... took me about 35 minutes to kill him and I had almost zero help, and no recognition of shards. Crazy!!! His health kept regenerating and seemed like I was taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back... about 15 minutes in he was back at full health!! lol.
  •  HollyQ502
    I did this last night as part of Cadwell's gold - I am posting in case someone still looks for information on beating this guy. Overall it wasn't bad, because I had all the shards but Thallik caused me some frustration because I didn't kill him right away - I don't know why, he wasn't bothering me, so I just ignored him, but what happened was I got Sinmur down to 0 health and he still didn't die so I killed Thallik, and when I turned around to Sinmur, he was back at a quarter health and it took me 5+ minutes to beat him down to dead (I'm VR8). So kill Thallik first, is what I'm thinking.

Definitely have the shards though, otherwise I'd probably still be beating on him.
  • BloodLustedPeon
    Well, I've just done this quest and was given no indication in the game that I should complete other quests before this. Not only is that poor design in itself (after all, you got a hint with saving people of Bleakrock), but I feel I'll be paying twice if those quests are no longer available to me for at least some xp.

That being said, I did manage to kill him by using my bow and kiting him down the stairs into the large circular area below. I then proceeded to bore myself silly kiting him around, throwing out degeneration and the odd arrow once I'd made enough distance. Took me a good 10-15 minutes.

It helps when you read what NPC's say... plenty of indication that having the other shards will help you.
  • Svissloki
    Svissloki
    Soul Shriven
    Level 38 here, I came across " Stompin' Sinmur " as a natural progression in the game.

I tried and tried to kill this giant, but failed. His health would just rise to the top again !

I have tried everything and wasted coin, time and effort at failing this annoying quest.

I actually logged off for a whole 7 days, cancelled my ESO Plus account, asked for help from support - did not get any, was just told that ' there is no issue or bug ' with this quest.

Just yesterday I logged in to attempt again, still the same story, the giant Sinmur is unbeatable!

I agree with a few others here that this is just plain bad game design, it was very annoying. So far in my many hours I have had to work around many annoying little glitches, but this is the most annoying.

My thoughts are, if I shouldn't be doing this quest or if I don't have all the shards ... then why am I invited along to assist the King and his companions to take part.

I left the arena and went back to Windhelm to take part in some crafting and just for the sake of it, I ventured in King Journns temporary throne room.. and there he was with everyone else, sitting there and interacting with me like nothing had ever happened, telling me to be gone " he was very busy ".

This has happened many times through the game - so many NPCs exist in more than one place even when you are working through a quest with them or even complete it. Like " Kynes Honor " ... Sahun is still sitting in the pub drinking down his sorrows even after the quest with his mother is complete ! .. and you can find him at the same time nursing his recovering mother in Kynes Grove ! ... but uh he is in the pub at Windhelm ! ? huh.

I am getting really annoyed with ESO and I can see why so many people just gave up on it, these mistakes and glitches really break me out of the games immersion !

...and a note for the game developers, stop being so damn lazy and develop it ! ... I was happy to pay a monthly ESO plus subscription and spend money in the crown store... but not anymore, since you guys seem to care very little about the game anymore ! shame on you.
    Edited by Svissloki on January 2, 2016 2:53PM
    Svissloki