Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hardy and spell shield cp

CtrlAltDlt
CtrlAltDlt
✭✭✭
Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted, I didn't find anything concrete about it and I've only been playing for a few months.

My question is if I want more mitigate against damage of magicka based skills I should focus on Hardy (the tooltip says magic damage)? But i see that there is also a spell shield star, what is the relation between these two as far as mitigation goes? Which would I benefit more from ?
PC NA - jeazzy

stamblade outnumbered pvp vol 1. youtu.be/h1ONYfpAJJ8
Stamblade outbumbered pvp vol 2. No cheese youtu.be/rN4_aRVMvWw
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In most cases, you're better of going with Hardy. Every 1% in Hardy reduces the base damage by 1%. Every 1% in the spell shield star increases your spell resistance by 1% but the mitigation provided is less than 1%. Suppose you had 20k spell resistance, a 1% increase is 200 spell resistance. At v16 the mitigation provided by 200 spell resistance is approximately 0.3% (200/660).
    Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • mb14_ESO
    mb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Just to make sure I understand.
    Spell shield would help with resistance to anything that cost magicka that was cast at you, but Hardy would only reduce spells that cause magicka damage?
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CtrlAltDlt wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted, I didn't find anything concrete about it and I've only been playing for a few months.

My question is if I want more mitigate against damage of magicka based skills I should focus on Hardy (the tooltip says magic damage)? But i see that there is also a spell shield star, what is the relation between these two as far as mitigation goes? Which would I benefit more from ?

@CtrlAltDlt ,

If you would simply ignore the existence of the CP star Spell Shield, and just consider Elemental Defender & Hardy, whatever build you have, you hardly make a mistake !

Hardy Star reduces damage from Poison, Disease and Magic Damage. Max 25%
    Elemental Defender Star reduces damage from Elemental Damage (Frost, Fire, Shock) Max 25%

Spell Shield reduces damages from all 6 kinds of Damage. So the effect of both other Stars combined. Max 16%.

Min-Max
    Between Hardy & Elemental Defender: Depends on the occurence of both kinds of Damage.

Between Spell Shield and the other two Stars:
    1. Depends on how much Spell Resist you already have: the higher, the earlier a couple of CP's in Spell Shield start to be effective. But as @Asayre states: for every 1% gain in Spell Shield, at 20k Spell Resist, you only gain 0.3% effectiver damage reduction.
    2. Depends on how much elemental damage you get. If little elemental damage, Spell Shield does not add much benefit anymore compared to Hardy.

To optimise you should really calculate it precisely depending on how much Spell Resist you have already.

For almost all builds: only invest 3-5 in Spell Shield when you invest 50-100 in Hardy/Elemental Defender. (Damage Shield builds need zero Spell Shield).
    So... in practice you only fill up Spell Shield, when you have nothing really usefull to do with your CP points, AFTER Hardy & Elemental Defender are already at 100 CP. And many other stars already above 50. At the given rate of CP points unlocked, that will be many years from now !!!

This all could very well change if ZOS rebalances all the CP star effects and values as announced.
    Also ZOS will/should recognise how useless the current Spell Shield Star bonus is.

My own main character, a NB Siphoning Tank, with 5 HA Reinforced, S&B, with the Shield Expert passive from the Steed, with a Spell Resistance unbuffed of 25k......
    min-maxed at high effective health pool, damage mitigation, self heal...
    .... has only 3 CP's invested in Spell Shield.
    I have currently 383 CP available.

EDIT:
    BTW.... Minor and Major Resolve, buffs for 990 and 5280 increased Spell Resistance, do NOT benefit from the % increase of the CP star Spell Shield.
    If these buffs would benefit from the CP star Spell Shield, I would have put even 5-8 CP's in Spell Shield.

Edited by hrothbern on January 2, 2016 1:55PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU