The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Developer seeking feedback for potential of market value tracking app

Narkoleptika
Narkoleptika
Soul Shriven
Hello, I'm a web developer. Something I've noticed that seems to be lacking in ESO is information on the prices of things.

I've joined a trading guild but maybe I didn't join a good one? I was able to get a little info on how much a few things cost, but the guild store doesn't really seem to be very active. I'm still largely in the dark with respect to the items I'd like to sell, their value, and whether they're even worth selling.

Now I imagine I can just suck it up and play long enough to figure it out through trial and error. But that's not ideal. It's 2016, if I Google the thing I should be able to find the thing.

So I was thinking, I can make make the internet do stuff. Why not make an item market value tracking app? I used to play RS and I really liked the ability in that game to go look at the current price for any item in the GE. BTW I am only talking about the website bit of the GE that tracked prices. Not the in game part that killed player trading.

I realize the challenge in making an item value tracker for eso because of all the player crafted items and leveled versions of the same items, etc etc. But I think it can be done. What I have in mind is pretty straightforward. Users submit items or edit existing items with how much they're worth. And when you search for items you get an average price. It would have to be user run since I don't believe there's any way to pull market info directly from ESO.

So my questions are

Is it just me? Is this something that other players would find useful?

If I do start this project is there an ideal way that it should be structured? Maybe users submitting prices isn't the best way to go about it?

What features and functionality are essential? Item search, obviously, but what else would be useful?

Is there already a resource similar to what I'm describing and I'm just the Google noob that missed it?

Any other thoughts, comments, questions?

Thank you
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Console players would use it, but I'm pretty sure there are PC add-ons that do what you're talking about. Right now if I want to find the going rate for an item I go to a couple large towns and find the average price in the guild traders.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be more useful is trend data like gw2spidy. What is selling the most? What has suddenly increased in sells? What prices have dropped the furthest below or above average? Most popular new items. We can't get supply data from the api, but you can still come up with some useful information once without it.

This would be particularly nice after a major update when people are trying to figure out what new item is popular.

V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Users submit items or edit existing items with how much they're worth. And when you search for items you get an average price. It would have to be user run since I don't believe there's any way to pull market info directly from ESO.
    Your faith in humanity is cute but misplaced ...
    shades.gif

PS:
    You could make an AddOn that saves data about actual sales into a ESO SavedVariables file and then use an 3rd party App to push that data to your web server.

The problem with that is that you will need to have a substantial amount of players using your AddOn to get a good average for prices and you need them to install an app that runs either in parallel with ESO or after ESO quits to actually upload data to your server.
    Neither of which will be easy to achieve but it's not impossible.

You really only want to track actual sales, *NOT* asking price or what people think stuff should be worth.
    Edited by SirAndy on December 31, 2015 9:23PM
  • Narkoleptika
    Narkoleptika
    Soul Shriven
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Users submit items or edit existing items with how much they're worth. And when you search for items you get an average price. It would have to be user run since I don't believe there's any way to pull market info directly from ESO.
    Your faith in humanity is cute but misplaced ...
    shades.gif

Haha what you are taking as faith in humanity is more laziness. I was hoping to accomplish this without making an addon which is perhaps the more naive cute thing. xD

I've consulted with google since my previous post. I am now aware of esoui and Garkin's updated price tracker. It appears to accomplish what I want, but it is sadly outdated.

If anyone has any more insight into this, I'd love to hear it!

However, I will most likely wait for an update. Gotta keep DRY :b