The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How many points does it take to completely master an entire craft?

MaoLinx
MaoLinx
I hear that around 300 skill points is the max and I've been wondering if I could master Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Clothing, and Provision while still having left over points for anything else. I'm a Dk.
  • KaylynT
    KaylynT
    I maxed out all 6 crafts and still had enough skill points to use.
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you'll have enough points, but just enough to for a small skill set with very little left over to allow for putting points into skills you may want to use in different situations.

For most, that's OK as they're fine with never having to change out skills on their bars. For me, I like swapping skills around depending on the situation. To each their own.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OmniDevil wrote: »
    Yes, you'll have enough points, but just enough to for a small skill set with very little left over to allow for putting points into skills you may want to use in different situations.

For most, that's OK as they're fine with never having to change out skills on their bars. For me, I like swapping skills around depending on the situation. To each their own.

Agreed. My tank DK needs a bunch of extra skills for solo/DPS/vWGT versus a character that's only PvE DPS (for example). I had to drop WW and a craft.

If you don't PvP, skill points max out at something like ~230, which sounds like a lot but crafts and passives suck up a lot. Assuming they add skyshards in future DLCs, it may become a non-issue for everyone.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MaoLinx wrote: »
    I hear that around 300 skill points is the max and I've been wondering if I could master Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Clothing, and Provision while still having left over points for anything else. I'm a Dk.

Depends. If you only put points into combat skills that you use (including 2 weapon lines), don't put points into werewolf/vamp, and don't max out all legerdemain passives, you will have a lot of points for crafting. I have my DK main at max levels in all 6 crafts for mat harvesting in Orsinium, though for consummables I don't put points into skills that don't affect hirelings, writs, or harvesting nodes in Orsinium. I use a different character for alchemy, a second for provisioning, and a third for refining gear I craft with my main. I have a lot of skill points left. I am still need to level undaunted and the alliance skill lines more, but I have enough skill points for those passives when they unlock.

I am about to finish my final research on my main, so that will eventually get me back 7 or 9 skill points (I'm not sure if I have 1 or 3 invested in woodworking research).
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MaoLinx wrote: »

One more thing:

Why concentrate all crafting on the same character? It makes sense to have your character able to craft the max level for each craft since that gets you top level nodes in Orsinium. It also makes hirelings give you better stuff for that character. But you don't actually have to craft everything with that main. There is no need to have that main able to also craft green recipes, 3 ingredient potions, and green glyphs. Off-load all of that to an alt.

I suppose leveling alts immediately in enchanting is a lot of work, but it is really easy for provisioning and alchemy. Just have them do shard runs straight out of Coldharbour. So long as they are < level 6, you can die and resurrect at no cost. Just run around in all your faction's zones grabbing shards.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've mastered everything and have all the skill points I need. There are still a LOT that I'm missing so you should be good
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone needs a good Crafter as a friend!
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • MaoLinx
    MaoLinx
    I'm mostly a solo player here. I group up with people for pvp, but I try to make it so I can be self reliant.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Current maximum number of skillpoints should be somewhere around 340 (don't quote me on the exact number). Of these, 50 are gained through PvP ranks and 15 from skyshards in Cyrodiil. Another ~20 come from normal and veteran group (4-man) dungeons and their quests. That gives you something around 250 minimum that you can acquire solo.

I would say that you get all passives and a good set of active abilities to get you through most situations with approx. 150 skillpoints. Bottom line, you have something in the range of 100 points for your crafts, or 5 fully skilled craft lines.

If you can't manage, respec and redistribute until you have found the proper balance,
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To max out all passives in all of the crafting professions, you would require 130 Skill Points according to eso-skills.com.

However, some would argue that some of the passives are optional and others will outlive their usefulness. For example, 3 points in Keen Eye for some may be overkill and once all of the research traits are learned, the related passives to reduce learning times are no longer required.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps