Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Another Housing Suggestion: A 3 Phase Release Plan

• Drakk89815
    Drakk89815
    ✭✭
    Just seen this linked in another housing post. This is a fantastic and brilliant idea that covers most of what us players who are looking to build our own homes are looking for.
    Xbox One - Drakk89815
    Options
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a way of thinking, it is an insightful idea, however, it would take a considerable amount of time to put something like that in a game, but as I have seen throughout tamriel (& coldharbour) it could be possible to implement a portable housing feature like what you see in red dead redemption where you could set up a little portable campsite* & save. But in the case of ESOTU, you could create a campsite to rest, cook things by using a pot over a campfire, temporarily gain small bonuses that only work outside of cyrodiil**.or even have fun emoting, like playing the lute, sleeping on a rug, It could be a good way for other players to interact, communicate, or even stuff around drinking mead, mead & more mead.

(*The current position would have to be safe far from enemies like bandits, trolls, etc. basically any deadly foes with a red health meter above their heads.)

(**Any bonuses gained should have no effect in cyrodiil so as to prevent any PvP advantages.)

This idea should be a Crown Store upgrade that works across all characters for accounts that purchase it, it is entirely up to Bethesda studios & Zenimax online for the Price, Platform, etc.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
    Options
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jando wrote: »
    IMHO, housing isn't worth the Dev time. I want new content, new zones, new stories, new dungeons, new raids, new pvp, new services: barbershop, race/class change, PC Controller Support, etc. and a functioning LFG tool...then..yes, housing would be nice.

Its if they plan to reward Loyal/Veteran players with multiple VR14's alt. I think we deserve something, we have been here almost 1.5 year now. Housing could expand our Enlightment bank so we dont need to play so often. I want own Enlightment Chamber. Housing could be a place for different builds, you could walk to a mannequin, put new gears, new skills by pressing one button only, imagine the luxury if you had pre-set builds somewhere, from tank to DPS in no time.

I personally hope they just put the houses to the instances where people play. Expand them a bit if needed, shouldnt be a big deal to add 5 house spot for Stonefall's Davon's Watch. People arent in houses 24/7, so maybe it could work out.

Also Ive had thing strange feeling since Orsinium is solo zone, so maybe our houses are there.
    Edited by Sausage on August 11, 2015 11:51AM
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Awesome post, I want.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ooh.I just had an idea as I read the OP! The houses could be put there by the devs,but they could be used as solo like the Harborage,but with friends joining your group if you want them to enter. Thing is,how would you put stuff down? We cant set things into place the way the game is now.We can pick things up,just not put em down.No options for that.So,what would we use the houses for if we cant set things up in them?
    Options
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I'd like to chime in about @Gidorick 's phase 3 idea (Or actually expand), would be to use these plots of land to have a wider array of function. Such functions as: mutliple buildings, player chosen placement of objects/building foundations, and an intelligent use of phasing that could allow the plot of land to have other player visiters (If marked as public), or keep everyone out (if marked as private), or even shared with/or owned by a guild as a guild housing area (Guild master buys plot in guilds name rather than own name).
    Options
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only thing id change is architect to contractor :wink:
    Options
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gidorick you're like my favorite person on the forums lol. Like i said before, if there are hooks like lotro housing, ill be pretty upset. I really enjoyed using my imagination and building things out of a ton of other things like swg, and rift. The instancing, little neighborhoods were interesting but the being forced to put things in certain spots was very irritating.

I would also love to hang my last fish I caught for master fisher on my wall :)
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Sylance9! That means a lot. Truly. :smiley:

I COMPLETELY agree that item placement in homes would have to be freeform. ZOS will have to come up with interface for that.... Actually, an interesting way to handle this would be to add a telekinesis skill that would cast in front of a player in a radius that could be changed by the player. All the items in that radius could be highlighted as being selected. The player could then raise/lower/turn the items they have picked up with telekinesis. The better their skill the more they can pick up at a greater distance for a longer duration. Other skills could be things like Autoloot and Autofarm.

This skill could be used in battle. It could be against the law to use in towns our they could simply have wards preventing the spells use....

The main problem here is I don't think ESO was created with a physics engine. They use the Havokv engine, which includes these kinds of physics, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement it.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentinel wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to chime in about @Gidorick 's phase 3 idea (Or actually expand), would be to use these plots of land to have a wider array of function. Such functions as: mutliple buildings, player chosen placement of objects/building foundations, and an intelligent use of phasing that could allow the plot of land to have other player visiters (If marked as public), or keep everyone out (if marked as private), or even shared with/or owned by a guild as a guild housing area (Guild master buys plot in guilds name rather than own name).

This is another reason why housing needs to be in instances, so that game mechanics only need to be changed for the house itself. Plus making them in town and not in a housing zone.

Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be an awesome and kind of natural progression of the concept. Guild towns would be amazing! I could even see this opening up individual market places to coincide with the guild store.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • log234
    log234
    ✭✭✭
    This is awesome, would love to see this in-game and would definitely sink a lot of time and resources into getting a great home!
    First ever Emperor of Dawnbreaker (EU)

Aldmeri Dominion:
    • Aendir Celion (Former Emperor): Bosmer - NB - Bow & DW
    • Varda Eléntari: Imperial - Templar - DW

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who needs a bot to finish a game.

Meridia, Stendarr, Dibella and Julianos
    Options
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    With housing could come things like being able to become merchants. You could be a carpenter or blacksmith, or even a contractor and sell armor, weapons, housing materials, etc. If you are an alchemist and have a field for mats, then you should be able to sell finished potions from your little farmer's cart out in front of the house too.

This however counters the instanced housing, which sounds like a better implementation than an open world that's been overdeveloped.
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
    Options
  • MuddledMuppet
    MuddledMuppet
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit poor, will I be able to pick up something cheap in Cyrodiil?
    Options
  • terrordactyl1971
    terrordactyl1971
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like an instances island with my own castle
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow I missed this topic in the past. I definitely like the idea. Oblivion had great housing quests, and Skyrim had hearthfire, which was cool in its own right. Option 3 is the most interesting to me because it allows for the personal touch, and I agree with those who posted they would like it so players could hire out their crafting skills toward that end. I'd take it a step further though and say that the hireling would produce things like clay/stone/straw/glass for an Architect/Engineer skill line (Which I would recommend could also craft siege engines?). Additionally, I think base components could also be crafted by other skill lines (cauldron from blacksmith, support beams from woodworker, drapes/apholstery from clothier). I also think this 'Architect' skill line would have its own stoneworking element to it (maybe we should call it a stoneworker) which could produce bricks, marble, riverstone etc for building Foundations, Paths, Walls, and Roofs. They could get really detailed with this, but I think it could bring a fun element to crafting, where even motifs could get involved.

Example 1: Want a Telvanni mushroom house? To grow the house you would need to be a Dunmer or have the Dunmer Motif, along with a requisite alchemy, provisioning and enchnating skill line. The materials would also include grand soul gems from enchanting, a new mushroom material from alchemy and some other materials from provisioning to feed the mushroom and a given period of time to grow. Interiors could use paper/leather lamps of the dunmer style that would require either metal and clothing or wood and clothing based materials.

Example 2: Want a Redguard Mudcrab/Shellbug house? I'd say you have to actually hunt down and kill a bug 'Boss' and then arrange it with similar style as the Telvanni design above.

Example 3: Nord Longhouse would require things like the Nord motif, riverstone (architect/mason), wood (woodworking), and glass.

Example 4: Daedric/Xivkyn construction would look a lot like daedric shrines/temples and require the same motif. I recommend some greater requirements (and dangers) for having this.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

This would be an awesome and kind of natural progression of the concept. Guild towns would be amazing! I could even see this opening up individual market places to coincide with the guild store.

Guild towns sound fantastic as well, perhaps even with the Guild pennant hung up on the roads in the area, and more experienced/strong guilds could have large fortifications, moats or walls around their City.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a house. With the best housing system from start. Now.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooow

:'(
    Options
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We’ve all seen some of the wonderful housing ideas that have been prosed on this forum. They are thought out and complex systems that would add a rich dynamic to ESO. I figured I will offer my own thoughts to how housing could be accomplished in ESO, with a 3 phase plan.

Obviously, all of this is pure conjecture.

The implementation of a Housing system should first and foremost work within the confines of the lore and the world of Nirn. I do not believe open-world player-built housing makes sense for ESO. With one server and one world, if every player were allowed the freedom to build a house within Nirn we would be left with a landscape littered with huts that would just be an eyesore.

I also believe housing should be implemented in phases. We have seen this done with the Champion System and we are going to see this done with the Justice System so I think there is good chance this will be done with Housing as well. Below I have outlined my suggestion of a 3 phase release plan of a housing system.

The summary...

Phase 1: Allow purchase of pre-existing homes within city boarders.
    Phase 2: Allow purchase of pre-existing homes in the wilderness that have material farms attached to them.
    Phase 3: Allow the purchase of in-world instanced plots of land where players will construct their own homes.

OK now the details...

Phase 1: Pre-existing City Housing
    First and foremost there should be, within ESO, the option to purchase/rent property within each of the stable and populated cities of ESO. It wouldn’t make much sense to settle down in Camlorn, but Daggerfall should have the option, a few in fact. From little one-room huts to large multi-room estates. Some cities might only have one choice for the player, some might have many, and some might have none.

The point is: there should be pre-built, instanced locations for players to buy, decorate and use as their own space in the cities of Tamriel. Every player would use the same door to access the space. If a player doesn’t own the space they are sent to a public instance of the space that includes a bulletin board with the option to buy the property.

I would personally prefer that the bulletin board offer a “quest” to the player to buy the house and the quest send the player to that particular town’s leader who then might give the player some tasks to perform for the town to prove they are worthy of being a citizen… but I recognize that might not be a popular concept.

Either way, the end result is the player having ownership of property in a town that they can make their own.

Phase 2: Pre-existing In-World Wilderness housing with material farms.
    Wilderness housing would function similarly to the City Housing but would differ in a few ways. Purchasing the home may be a bit more difficult. Sometimes the homeowner may be in the house and might need some incentive to sell their home. Perhaps you rough them up a bit or make better arrangements for them in a nearby town, or track down their long lost lover so they want to leave. Perhaps these actions bring the asking price down a bit.

If the homeowner is not in or near the home, the player could receive a quest in the home, via a book or a note, which will take the player to the location of the Homeowner. In these instances the home may be overrun with creatures that the player will have to clear out in order to occupy the space.

The Incentive to these wilderness homes will be the “farming” aspect. Each home will be near a mine, a clearing, or will have a garden attached to the home.

The homes with mines will include a mine key, which the player receives upon purchasing the home. The player can then go into the mine and dig up Ore and Runes (for Blacksmithing and Enchanting). Mines could have multiple levels or areas that the player must work to reach. Perhaps there is an ore rich wall that must be mined many times in order to be broken down. Each of these mining sessions will yield ore, but not as much as an ore deposit. Additionally the wall could be mined a limited number of times a day depending on their rank in blacksmithing and/or Enchanting. Each new area would provide better ore and better runes and would allow the player to access the next ore wall to mine.

The clearings would operate similarly to the mine but perhaps it’s a scroll or an amulet that opens a magical door or portal to the clearing instead of a key. The clearing would be used to gather wood and reagents (for Woodworking and Alchemy). There should be a stream that runs through the clearing and multiple types of trees. Not every wood type is available in the clearing and the different tree types must be chopped down in order for the clearing to automatically yield better wood types. Each different type of tree could take a different amount of chops to activate. The same concept could be applied to aquifer springs around the clearing. The player could open aquifers that could allow the clearing to automatically yield better reagents for alchemy. These springs could also themselves yield different purities of water for the alchemic potions.

As for the gardens, which would be attached to the actual house, there should be a fence or wall around the garden that is high enough so that players cannot jump into the garden from the outside world. A gate should separate the garden from the main world since the garden would technically be part of the instanced home. Even so, they garden environment should reflect the day/night/weather of the zone to give the illusion of being “outside.” In these gardens, plants of the player’s choosing should be able to be grown. The plant types could be for either the provisioning or clothier line and players should be allowed to use a plant they currently have in their inventory to plant their crop. Let’s say the garden would have 10 rows of crops that can be planted. Each row must be tilled to increase that row’s production ability. While the row is being tilled, no crop can be planted. The higher the production ability of the row, the better the plant that can be cultivated.

It should take a very long time to bring each farming station to the next level of production. With daily limits to the activities a diligent player should be able to get to level 2/3/4/5 in 10/30/90/120 days respectively (this suggestion would have the player take total of 250 days to get their farm to max-yield).

There could also be regression tasks that, if not done regularly, could cause the farm to decrease in yield level. The mine could require reinforcements, the clearing could require the removal of leaves, and the garden could require pulling of weeds.

Phase 3: Player-Built Homes
    At the third phase, areas around Tamriel would be opened to allow for players to create their own home in the zone of their choosing. Some of these inaccessible areas in each zone could be slightly reworked to have a load-screen-triggering pathway. Once through that path, the player would have their own little slice of Tamriel to do with that they will. These properties could include a myriad of environments from coastal property to forest alcoves, depending on the zone they are in. Just as the previous phases, players should enter a public instance of the property if they do not own the property with a bulletin board posting the sale of the plot of land.

The home building in ESO should do what it can to emulate the feeling of the Hearthfire home building found in Skyrim but should also fit within the design and mechanics of ESO. Like Hearthfire, the property should include a Drafting Table and a Workbench.

When accessing the Drafting table, the players view should pull out to a rotatable 3/4 bird’s eye view of the property with level selection. In total, there should be 5 levels available to the property. The default level for the ground should be the second level. The “ground” should be able to be changed to any level, depending on the particular home design.

Ultimately, a player should be able to create a 4 level mansion with a basement, a one level ranch with a 4 level basement, or any combination between. Initially, the player should only be able to build up to 4 levels with the 5th level being unlocked upon reaching the highest rank of the Architect skill. Once the player decides on a floor plan, they are given a list of the crafted items for the various rooms of the floor plan. When the player has all the appropriate pieces, they can create the different rooms through the drafting table. As in Hearthfire, each property should come with a starter kit that is located in a treasure chest next to the workbench.

A separate Homestead skill line could be added with different Style kits spread throughout Tamriel in the same manner as Recipes and Motifs. These Style kits could work much in the same way as the Motifs, allowing players to make their home in the style of the different cultures of Tamriel. Players should be able to, if they so desired, make a weird hodgepodge house of different styles. They could even use the same resources as the armor sets.

While I think it would be awesome for us to be able to forge the materials needed to make a home and furniture with the woodworking, blacksmithing and clothier skills, I don’t think that would be the best route for ESO custom player homes. Homebuilding in ESO shouldn’t directly involve Blacksmithing or carpentry. For the sake of the mechanics and economy of ESO it would be more useful to utilize the Player Home creation aspect of ESO as a gold sink and focus the skills on learning how to construct the different parts of the home rather than crafting the materials.
    The following materials should be purchased from a merchant or found out in the world: Fittings, Locks, Hinges, Nails, Rods, Stone Bricks, Mortar, Masonry Clay, Clay Tile, Treated Planks, Treated Logs, Rope, Straw, Linen, Yarn, Pewter, Fluffed Cotton, etc. These items could be combined in various ways to construct all the items contained within the various skills.

Homestead Passive Skilltree
    Architect: The main skill line for building the home. The player should begin at Architect Rank 1 by knowing how to construct Floors, Walls, Roofs, Doors, Windows, Stairs, and Banisters.
    • Rank 1: Ability to construct 1st floor rooms
    • Rank 2: Ability to construct 1st level basement
    • Rank 3: Ability to construct 2nd floor rooms
    • Rank 4: Ability to construct 2nd level basement
    • Rank 5: Ability to construct 3rd floor rooms
    • Rank 6: Ability to construct 3rd level basement
    • Rank 7: Ability to construct 4th floor rooms
    • Rank 9: Ability to construct 4th level basement
    • Rank 8: Ability to construct on a 5th level
    Handyman Hireling:
    • Rank 1: Will receive mail once a day from the hireling with material
    • Rank 2: Will receive mail once a day from the hireling with more material
    • Rank 3: Will receive mail twice a day from the hireling with even more material
    Constructor:
    • Rank 1: Ability to make freestanding walls, fences, barriers and reliefs
    • Rank 2: Ability to make Crafting, alchemy, enchanting, and dye stations
    • Rank 3: Ability to add areas for gardens, clearings, mines, a stable and a Wayshrine
    Landscaper:
    • Rank 1: Ability to plant trees, bushes, and dirt pathways
    • Rank 2: Ability to create waterways and ponds, and place rocks and boulders
    • Rank 3: Ability to deform the terrain
    Homemaker:
    • Rank 1: Ability to make pots, dishes, cups, silverware, bottles, candle holders, etc.
    • Rank 2: Ability to make curtains, rugs, pillows, room dividers, etc.
    • Rank 3: Ability to make instruments, fireplaces, fire pits, chandeliers, etc.
    Craftsman:
    • Rank 1: Ability to make Chairs, Tables, Desks, Bookshelves, Crates, etc.
    • Rank 2: Ability to make Benches, Beds, Dressers, Side tables, Cabinets, Chests, etc.
    • Rank 3: Ability to make Wardrobes, Corner Curios, Wine Racks, Bars, Weapon Racks, Armor Mannequins, etc.
    To place items crafted by the Architect, Constructor, Landscaper, Homemaker, and Craftsman skills, the player should visit the Drafting table. When decorating, items should be affected by physics, gravity and collision when placed and should fall into their resting place realistically. The Havok Engine should be able to handle that part quite well. Items should be designated as “interior” or “exterior” items. Only the height of certain items should be considered. If a player wants to create a floorless room and plant some saplings while throwing a rug outside, so be it!

The inventory used to house the crafted items should be the players own inventory and bank, much in the same way other crafting is handled. Using the same inventory will allow these items to be sold in guild stores and traded among players.

Functional Furniture!
    No matter the phase, all the furniture in the player homes needs to be functional. The first phase of housing could also be the first phase in a long plan to incrementally update ESO with functional chairs, benches, beds, hammocks, etc. ZOS should allow players to use functional furniture in their homes and, over time, replace the non-functional chairs across Tamriel with functional ones.

The functional furniture includes the ability to store items in furniture or container that would logically house items. Desks, Bookshelves, side tables, cabinets, etc. should all have storage space within them and should allow the player to store their items. These items should be locked away inside the house and should ONLY be accessible by revisiting the house. No magical cabinet-banks, please.

Building a house should be powerful and simple, but this type of system is a long ways off. This is why a multi-phase housing release is preferable. The phases could be released months, quarters, even years apart from one another. Having pre-existing homes would go a long way to satisfying a large fraction of the user base. Adding more functionality later by adding the farming wilderness homes would whet player appetite for more functionality and would, no doubt, lead to many players upgrading. Once the fully customizable homes are released you’ll have a mass of players rushing to make gold so they can afford to add that next room to the second floor of their home.

That’s once, twice, three times a goldsink. :wink:

awesome!!
    Options
  • pirate3
    pirate3
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of MMO housing (especially hate ow) and I've never had much use for it personally. It does seem to be very important to some people however - the folks over at MOP seem particularly obsessed with it. I can't see any reason not to implement some form of instanced city housing for those who want it. My only concern would be the impact that it might have only communal areas - e.g fewer people using the bank or crafting stations in the main zone hubs because they have all that functionality in their homes. I think it's important to try and keep these zones feeling as busy as possible, especially those in the starter zones.
    Options
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in Star Wars Galaxies, many main cities were busy despite the existence of player housing. If anything, the player cities enhanced the experience.

Typical modern MMO 'trophy storage' instances are a bit crap though in my opinion - pointless!
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree @pirate3 COMPLETELY. That is why I wrote the following thread on how personal home crafting stations could be different from public crafting stations.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/208786/player-home-personal-crafting-stations-concepts/p1

Same for banks... I don't think homes should be shared between characters because then they would just be used as banks. We need to keep the cities lively!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Mekkalyn
    Mekkalyn
    This would be huge and incredibly amazing.
    I would love a house building.
    Loved it in the skyrim expansion.
    I love to decorate virtual houses!

I'd be happy with much less, but what the OP says sounds exceptionally wonderful.
    Options
  • pirate3
    pirate3
    ✭✭✭
    We need to keep the cities lively!

This is the most important thing. For the long term health of the game, fresh players arriving in their starting cities need to feel that the game is populated and active. At the same time, I have to accept that qol systems like housing can keep existing players engaged, particularly those who are not drawn to PvP or end-game PVE activities. You've clearly put a lot of thought into your suggestions. I expect that some form of housing will eventually be introduced, it's pretty much an MMO staple these days, not to mention a feature of the more recent single player TES games.
    Options
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I simply await what Zenimax has planned for this! I'm sure they've yoinked a few proposals here and there though lol
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree @pirate3 COMPLETELY. That is why I wrote the following thread on how personal home crafting stations could be different from public crafting stations.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/208786/player-home-personal-crafting-stations-concepts/p1

Same for banks... I don't think homes should be shared between characters because then they would just be used as banks. We need to keep the cities lively!

I agree, but I'd still like an area to pile up my cheese wheels.
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • WitchKing_of_Nirn
    I'd love to see this in the game. I've dreamt about it lol tbh. The only thing I'd change is the individual city buildings can only be owned by 1 person at a time, making them super sought-after and highly expensive so only the best players can afford to buy it. Then have separate "rented housing" that's more cost efficient but has a monthly or weekly fee.

Great plan though, I'd be playing for years if they do this!!!
    Options
  • VamppireGhost
    VamppireGhost
    ✭✭
    We’ve all seen some of the wonderful housing ideas that have been prosed on this forum. They are thought out and complex systems that would add a rich dynamic to ESO. I figured I will offer my own thoughts to how housing could be accomplished in ESO, with a 3 phase plan.

The implementation of a Housing system should first and foremost work within the confines of the lore and the world of Nirn. I do not believe open-world player-built housing makes sense for ESO. With one server and one world, if every player were allowed the freedom to build a house within Nirn we would be left with a landscape littered with huts that would just be an eyesore.

I also believe housing should be implemented in phases. We have seen this done with the Champion System and we are going to see this done with the Justice System so I think there is good chance this will be done with Housing as well. Below I have outlined my suggestion of a 3 phase release plan of a housing system.

The summary...

Phase 2: Allow purchase of pre-existing homes in the wilderness that have material farms attached to them.
    Phase 3: Allow the purchase of in-world instanced plots of land where players will construct their own homes.

OK now the details...

First and foremost there should be, within ESO, the option to purchase/rent property within each of the stable and populated cities of ESO. It wouldn’t make much sense to settle down in Camlorn, but Daggerfall should have the option, a few in fact. From little one-room huts to large multi-room estates. Some cities might only have one choice for the player, some might have many, and some might have none.

The point is: there should be pre-built, instanced locations for players to buy, decorate and use as their own space in the cities of Tamriel. Every player would use the same door to access the space. If a player doesn’t own the space they are sent to a public instance of the space that includes a bulletin board with the option to buy the property.

I would personally prefer that the bulletin board offer a “quest” to the player to buy the house and the quest send the player to that particular town’s leader who then might give the player some tasks to perform for the town to prove they are worthy of being a citizen… but I recognize that might not be a popular concept.

Either way, the end result is the player having ownership of property in a town that they can make their own.

Wilderness housing would function similarly to the City Housing but would differ in a few ways. Purchasing the home may be a bit more difficult. Sometimes the homeowner may be in the house and might need some incentive to sell their home. Perhaps you rough them up a bit or make better arrangements for them in a nearby town, or track down their long lost lover so they want to leave. Perhaps these actions bring the asking price down a bit.

If the homeowner is not in or near the home, the player could receive a quest in the home, via a book or a note, which will take the player to the location of the Homeowner. In these instances the home may be overrun with creatures that the player will have to clear out in order to occupy the space.

The Incentive to these wilderness homes will be the “farming” aspect. Each home will be near a mine, a clearing, or will have a garden attached to the home.

The homes with mines will include a mine key, which the player receives upon purchasing the home. The player can then go into the mine and dig up Ore and Runes (for Blacksmithing and Enchanting). Mines could have multiple levels or areas that the player must work to reach. Perhaps there is an ore rich wall that must be mined many times in order to be broken down. Each of these mining sessions will yield ore, but not as much as an ore deposit. Additionally the wall could be mined a limited number of times a day depending on their rank in blacksmithing and/or Enchanting. Each new area would provide better ore and better runes and would allow the player to access the next ore wall to mine.

The clearings would operate similarly to the mine but perhaps it’s a scroll or an amulet that opens a magical door or portal to the clearing instead of a key. The clearing would be used to gather wood and reagents (for Woodworking and Alchemy). There should be a stream that runs through the clearing and multiple types of trees. Not every wood type is available in the clearing and the different tree types must be chopped down in order for the clearing to automatically yield better wood types. Each different type of tree could take a different amount of chops to activate. The same concept could be applied to aquifer springs around the clearing. The player could open aquifers that could allow the clearing to automatically yield better reagents for alchemy. These springs could also themselves yield different purities of water for the alchemic potions.

As for the gardens, which would be attached to the actual house, there should be a fence or wall around the garden that is high enough so that players cannot jump into the garden from the outside world. A gate should separate the garden from the main world since the garden would technically be part of the instanced home. Even so, they garden environment should reflect the day/night/weather of the zone to give the illusion of being “outside.” In these gardens, plants of the player’s choosing should be able to be grown. The plant types could be for either the provisioning or clothier line and players should be allowed to use a plant they currently have in their inventory to plant their crop. Let’s say the garden would have 10 rows of crops that can be planted. Each row must be tilled to increase that row’s production ability. While the row is being tilled, no crop can be planted. The higher the production ability of the row, the better the plant that can be cultivated.

It should take a very long time to bring each farming station to the next level of production. With daily limits to the activities a diligent player should be able to get to level 2/3/4/5 in 10/30/90/120 days respectively (this suggestion would have the player take total of 250 days to get their farm to max-yield).

There could also be regression tasks that, if not done regularly, could cause the farm to decrease in yield level. The mine could require reinforcements, the clearing could require the removal of leaves, and the garden could require pulling of weeds.

At the third phase, areas around Tamriel would be opened to allow for players to create their own home in the zone of their choosing. Some of these inaccessible areas in each zone could be slightly reworked to have a load-screen-triggering pathway. Once through that path, the player would have their own little slice of Tamriel to do with that they will. These properties could include a myriad of environments from coastal property to forest alcoves, depending on the zone they are in. Just as the previous phases, players should enter a public instance of the property if they do not own the property with a bulletin board posting the sale of the plot of land.

The home building in ESO should do what it can to emulate the feeling of the Hearthfire home building found in Skyrim but should also fit within the design and mechanics of ESO. Like Hearthfire, the property should include a Drafting Table and a Workbench.

When accessing the Drafting table, the players view should pull out to a rotatable 3/4 bird’s eye view of the property with level selection. In total, there should be 5 levels available to the property. The default level for the ground should be the second level. The “ground” should be able to be changed to any level, depending on the particular home design.

Ultimately, a player should be able to create a 4 level mansion with a basement, a one level ranch with a 4 level basement, or any combination between. Initially, the player should only be able to build up to 4 levels with the 5th level being unlocked upon reaching the highest rank of the Architect skill. Once the player decides on a floor plan, they are given a list of the crafted items for the various rooms of the floor plan. When the player has all the appropriate pieces, they can create the different rooms through the drafting table. As in Hearthfire, each property should come with a starter kit that is located in a treasure chest next to the workbench.

A separate Homestead skill line could be added with different Style kits spread throughout Tamriel in the same manner as Recipes and Motifs. These Style kits could work much in the same way as the Motifs, allowing players to make their home in the style of the different cultures of Tamriel. Players should be able to, if they so desired, make a weird hodgepodge house of different styles. They could even use the same resources as the armor sets.

While I think it would be awesome for us to be able to forge the materials needed to make a home and furniture with the woodworking, blacksmithing and clothier skills, I don’t think that would be the best route for ESO custom player homes. Homebuilding in ESO shouldn’t directly involve Blacksmithing or carpentry. For the sake of the mechanics and economy of ESO it would be more useful to utilize the Player Home creation aspect of ESO as a gold sink and focus the skills on learning how to construct the different parts of the home rather than crafting the materials.
    The following materials should be purchased from a merchant or found out in the world: Fittings, Locks, Hinges, Nails, Rods, Stone Bricks, Mortar, Masonry Clay, Clay Tile, Treated Planks, Treated Logs, Rope, Straw, Linen, Yarn, Pewter, Fluffed Cotton, etc. These items could be combined in various ways to construct all the items contained within the various skills.

Architect: The main skill line for building the home. The player should begin at Architect Rank 1 by knowing how to construct Floors, Walls, Roofs, Doors, Windows, Stairs, and Banisters.
    Handyman Hireling:
    • Rank 3: Will receive mail twice a day from the hireling with even more material
    Constructor:
    • Rank 3: Ability to add areas for gardens, clearings, mines, a stable and a Wayshrine
    Landscaper:
    Homemaker:
    • Rank 1: Ability to make pots, dishes, cups, silverware, bottles, candle holders, etc.
    Craftsman:
    • Rank 2: Ability to make Benches, Beds, Dressers, Side tables, Cabinets, Chests, etc.
    • Rank 3: Ability to make Wardrobes, Corner Curios, Wine Racks, Bars, Weapon Racks, Armor Mannequins, etc.
    To place items crafted by the Architect, Constructor, Landscaper, Homemaker, and Craftsman skills, the player should visit the Drafting table. When decorating, items should be affected by physics, gravity and collision when placed and should fall into their resting place realistically. The Havok Engine should be able to handle that part quite well. Items should be designated as “interior” or “exterior” items. Only the height of certain items should be considered. If a player wants to create a floorless room and plant some saplings while throwing a rug outside, so be it!

The inventory used to house the crafted items should be the players own inventory and bank, much in the same way other crafting is handled. Using the same inventory will allow these items to be sold in guild stores and traded among players.

Functional Furniture!
    No matter the phase, all the furniture in the player homes needs to be functional. The first phase of housing could also be the first phase in a long plan to incrementally update ESO with functional chairs, benches, beds, hammocks, etc. ZOS should allow players to use functional furniture in their homes and, over time, replace the non-functional chairs across Tamriel with functional ones.

The functional furniture includes the ability to store items in furniture or container that would logically house items. Desks, Bookshelves, side tables, cabinets, etc. should all have storage space within them and should allow the player to store their items. These items should be locked away inside the house and should ONLY be accessible by revisiting the house. No magical cabinet-banks, please.

Building a house should be powerful and simple, but this type of system is a long ways off. This is why a multi-phase housing release is preferable. The phases could be released months, quarters, even years apart from one another. Having pre-existing homes would go a long way to satisfying a large fraction of the user base. Adding more functionality later by adding the farming wilderness homes would whet player appetite for more functionality and would, no doubt, lead to many players upgrading. Once the fully customizable homes are released you’ll have a mass of players rushing to make gold so they can afford to add that next room to the second floor of their home.

I agree with everything your saying. From Daggerfall to Skyrim you could obtain your own house in someway or another to buying, building, DLC or simply killing the owner and claiming his/her precious property and all the "Ill Gotten Gains" that came with it. So lets go "Zenimax Online". Us Elite long time elder scrolls wanna see the things that make "Elder Scrolls" fans to begin with.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy."
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The summary...

OK now the details...

Handyman Hireling:
    Constructor:
    Landscaper:
    Homemaker:
    Craftsman:

Functional Furniture!

I agree with everything your saying. From Daggerfall to Skyrim you could obtain your own house in someway or another to buying, building, DLC or simply killing the owner and claiming his/her precious property and all the "Ill Gotten Gains" that came with it. So lets go "Zenimax Online". Us Elite long time elder scrolls wanna see the things that make "Elder Scrolls" fans to begin with.

It would be amazing if there were homes that were occupied that you could only open for purchase after the current owner "inexplicably left town".... or to be blunt: after you killed them.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or simply killing the owner and claiming his/her precious property and all the "Ill Gotten Gains" that came with it.
    And turn housing into a non-stop gank fest? No thanks.
    Edited by Leogon on December 29, 2015 2:04AM
    Options