Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Temper expertise and Tempering alloy, something's not right.

Lancillotto
Lancillotto
✭✭✭
I have put two skill points into Temper expertise, but it still takes me 10 tempering alloys to upgrade an epic item to legendary quality (without taking chances)... I think this should be fixed.
Edited by Lancillotto on July 27, 2014 8:17AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 tempers without expertise, 14 with expertise I, 10 with expertise II, 8 with expertise III.

What's not right?
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    20 tempers without expertise, 14 with expertise I, 10 with expertise II, 8 with expertise III.

What's not right?

Well, what I am saying is that considering how rare tempering alloys are it doesn't make much sense that you still need so many of them (more than any other tempers).
    With no skill points into Temper Expertise I can upgrade a green item to blue with just 7 dwarven oil, and a blue to purple with only 10 grain solvent, but from purple to yellow it takes 20 tempering alloys. I think that either that last number should be decreased a bit (15 maybe) or the bonus from Temper Expertise lvl. 3 should be increased a bit (so that in the ends it takes something like 5 tempering alloys for an upgrade).
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of tempers required reflects the item's intended rarity. A legendary is supposed to be twice as rare as an epic. Thus the 4 grain solvents vs 8 tempering alloys.

It just becomes a matter of opinion whether 8 is too much or not. I think it's fine. It is still much easier to get a top tier item than what is usual in MMO's.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of tempers required reflects the item's intended rarity. A legendary is supposed to be twice as rare as an epic. Thus the 4 grain solvents vs 8 tempering alloys.

It just becomes a matter of opinion whether 8 is too much or not. I think it's fine. It is still much easier to get a top tier item than what is usual in MMO's.
    ^ This. I can remember trying to make the ICC craftables when they first came out in WoW. People were charged 25-50K as "tip" and you still had to bring them all mats, which were absurdly expensive. These weren't even legendary, just Epics of at that time the highest iLvL. Sure it sucks wasting 8 Tempurs for a single Legendary improvement but it is what it is. If it was much cheaper everyone would have Legendary and it wouldn't have any real value, since the stat increase from Epic is already almost nothing.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My issue is, if there is a Trait on the piece, anything less than 100% will fail, I have never had a 80% or 90% Temper succeed on a Traited item. I can get a much higher success rate on mundane things with one temper applied, it works about half the time.

I also see no need to really go beyond Green on most things. Maybe once I get to the upper VR levels it will matter more. Plus I won't be swapping out my gear every 3 or 4 levels either so I won't feel like I am wasting the Tempers.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    My issue is, if there is a Trait on the piece, anything less than 100% will fail, I have never had a 80% or 90% Temper succeed on a Traited item. I can get a much higher success rate on mundane things with one temper applied, it works about half the time.

I also see no need to really go beyond Green on most things. Maybe once I get to the upper VR levels it will matter more. Plus I won't be swapping out my gear every 3 or 4 levels either so I won't feel like I am wasting the Tempers.
    Hehe, I re-craft an entirely new set and improve to blue (Armor), Purple (Weapons) every single VR. It's quite a bit of mats for a very small increase but I have the mats to burn so it doesn't really bother me. I also don't push through VR fast anymore. Since I finished Cadwell's Almanac I actually haven't actively leveled my VR8 main, but instead have been working on alts.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't the increase in numbers from one tier to the next originally a lot higher than it is now?
    Nestor wrote: »
    Totally agree with this, I never go 'blue' on armour and only rarely on weapons.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭

That would be true if you had similar rates for getting the mats. Consider that the chance for gold mats is lower from refining/hireling AND that there are no purple drops to deconstruct for the mats. I would be surprised if the rate you get gold upgrade materials is even 1/3 of the rate you can get purple upgrades. Add that to the double materials and you're looking at 6x as rare as an epic.

As far as going for 'blue' armor, there's not a whole reason not to with leveled crafting. Between refining raw items, hirelings, and deconstructing dropped blue items, it's pretty easy to get the requisite blue upgrade materials for personal use at 3 items per improvement from about level 30 onward. Definitely by the time you hit VR.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • sickboy2808
    sickboy2808
    ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute here, i always want 100 percent upgrade so always use 20 temps everytime. If i put skill points into temp expertise i only have to use 8 temps for 100% upgrade? Omg i have played since launch and thought using that passive it would just mean at say 80% i would have better chance of it succeding lol. I didnt know it more than halved the amount of temps needed? If this is the case then its perfect haha and im daft
    ZOS takes cheating very Lightly. You have been warned, and any cheaters found out will get the Least punishment possible...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute here, i always want 100 percent upgrade so always use 20 temps everytime. If i put skill points into temp expertise i only have to use 8 temps for 100% upgrade? Omg i have played since launch and thought using that passive it would just mean at say 80% i would have better chance of it succeding lol. I didnt know it more than halved the amount of temps needed? If this is the case then its perfect haha and im daft

Oh, yes, the Passives are much needed if you ever want to have hope that you can upgrade your gear.

However, please note, that basically you need 100% chance to Succeed or you will have a 100% chance to fail on Improving Items. If you try to Improve a non traited item, then you may not need the full 100%, but then again, why would you make an item that does not have a trait?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legendary should never be easy.

That's why it's called Legendary.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Mansome
    Mansome
    ✭✭✭
    Just be glad they allow us to even move up the quality with a 100% chance for success. Try playing something Aion or Archage where you have 20 to 25% chance to succeed. Where months of farming just blow up in the blink of an eye all because you did not get fall into that 20 to 25% range. So yeah we have it good compared to other games.