The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help with nightblade build.

ForwynLove
ForwynLove
Soul Shriven
Hello. I started game as a nightblade but i don't really know anything about this game... Can someone give me a good PvE build for a nightblade? With explaining all and stuff? I was thinking about playing with dual wielding and bow. Also, what should i max on nightblade? Stamina, Health? I will be grateful for your instructions.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you use DW and Bow stamina is the way to go for pve I go 4 to 1 stamina and health leave your majikia alone your skills will morph later to base off stamina
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thought more people would respond but if you use DW /Bow first take siphon so you can heal and damage then have one bow ability and DW on your bar so they both level till you hit level 15 and get your second bar you will only be able to use the ability of the weapon you have equipped but both will level so they keep pace till you hit 15
  • ForwynLove
    ForwynLove
    Soul Shriven
    Thought more people would respond but if you use DW /Bow first take siphon so you can heal and damage then have one bow ability and DW on your bar so they both level till you hit level 15 and get your second bar you will only be able to use the ability of the weapon you have equipped but both will level so they keep pace till you hit 15

Thank you for your reply! I was wondering what about other skills, like assassination and shadow, should i take some of them too? Medium armor aswell?
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    Thought more would reply as well. Medium armor for sure. I pvp and pve and i have 40stam 20health and i feel good in both zones. The siphoning tree itself is mainly for magicka builds. He is recomending swallow sould for heal but you may prefer the mark move, which you can place on a low hp enemy to weaken their armor. In a tight situation put the mark and rush an enemy to death for a 40% heal, you will need this. Also if you run dw which i prefer you miss out on the 2h move that has the best stam heal. You may need to pvp a bit till assault rank5 which gives you the only other stam heal known as vigor.. Siphoning attacks move can help you get stam back. Dw tornado will be good for aoe, i like the rapid strikes move too, if you back up too far though the animation continues but your damage stops. Cloak can buy you a few seconds to heal( take purging morph) but doesnt work on some bosses. The blade move morphed to suprise attack is the best nb attack move. Fear move help you against multiple monsters( crowd control moves last 6 seconds indicted by the swirly thing by their feet). I could go forever lol, if you have more questions just post and on here and tag me and ill help u out
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medium armor is the way to go teleport strike can be your bread and butter strike and work stealth passives you get many buffs for an attack from stealth plus try to backstabe if you can get behind your target buffs there also
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭
    @ForwynLove

If you're a new player just starting out, you're going to want to slot skills from ALL class-based skill trees (assassination, shadow, & siphon).

If your plan is to go the DW/Bow stamina route, and DW being your main bar, I would suggest placing Teleport Strike for a gap closer, Veiled Strike for burst melee dps, and Strife for ranged dps/steady healing. These are all magicka based abilities, so you will want to use the stamina morph when applicable (i.e Ambush and Surprise Attack).

You can fill your first bar with Assassin's Blade (Killer's blade stam morph) for your finisher, and Dark Cloak (Shadow Cloak morph) for your escape/evade, and that will do nicely until you reach level 15.

The object of this build is to take advantage of stealth, and damage out of stealth. You can get some very nice burst damage as a Nightblade using melee abilities by utilizing the sneak damage increase.

Once you reach level 15, you will be granted access to your second bar. If you plan to use Bow, there are a number of different skills that would work fine. It really depends on your play style and what works well for you and what you're comfortable with. I tend to use my back bar (second bar) more for buffing my character, rather than stacking dps skills. But it is truly up to you on how you want to play. However, you may need adjust your first bar to make this more viable.

As far as skills, the first Bow skill, Poison Arrow, is a perfect choice. PA will give you sustained dps at relatively low cost to your stamina pool, not to mention open the skill line to leveling. Along with P-Arrow, there are class skills such as Cripple (more sustain as well as debuffing the enemy with slow movement, while increasing your speed), or Blur (20% dodge increase buff). It may be wise to reslot Strife on this bar, since you are predominantly range attacking.

Keep in mind that these class skill are all magicka abilities and as a stamina user you will not be using them often, and even eliminating them from your skill bars completely at later levels. But for now they will work fine. The importance is to increase your skill level in those class and weapon trees. Having those abilities slotted while gaining XP will do that. I would also suggest adding some AoE (area of effect) damage abilities. You can slot Whirlwind form the DW tree instead of Strife. Or you can put Twin Slashes for a low cost bleed DoT (morph it for minor healing) and place Volley on your Bow bar for your AoE. The beauty of it is that you have options, even at low levels.

As for gear, you want to wear medium armor and place skill points in medium armor passives. This will increase your physical damage output, while giving you some utility such as low cost to sneaking, sprinting, dodging, etc. I always tell new players that it is a good idea to also wear one light armor piece and one heavy armor piece, both with the training trait, while still wearing 5 pieces of medium. This will benefit you in the long run of the game. Wearing set pieces are fun and will certainly increase your skills with bonuses, but are not necessary starting off since you will soon out-level them, and they can be difficult to obtain when you are lower in level. But, if it's what you want, you can often find generous, high-level crafters willing to help if you ask for it.

Put Attribute Points into Stamina for extra resource management. If you find yourself dying often, then add some points to increase Health. If you need to cloak more often, add some points to magicka. It's alright to do that. You can always redistribute points later if you need.

Remember that most of these skills is for new players starting out. Most likely you will not be using Strife and Cripple once you start advancing in level (especially since the Bow passives increases movement speed after roll dodge, making Cripple pretty useless), but this is best for increasing those skill lines, and helping you survive from the start. Also, a lot of the best abilities are at the end of these skill trees, making build changes inevitable.

I hope this helps.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
  • ForwynLove
    ForwynLove
    Soul Shriven
    Wow guys! Thank you for your replies! I'll definetly keep in mind your advices and definetly i will use them. :smile:
  • StueyMac40
    StueyMac40
    ✭✭
    Great advice on here.........just created a NB so will use the info here as a build template! Thanks to all who posted
  • Leucius
    Leucius
    Thanks for the posts, I learned a lot. I have a lvl 30 NB and am just coming back to the game... I was thinking of rerolling him, but at this stage it might be better to just slot as appropriate per this thread, since he has most stuff unlocked.