The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need help with a backstory.

sir_buttersworth
I want to come up with a good origin story for my Khajiit Sorcerer, Jo'Sahir. He is a Lightning Mage that I have based off of Raistlin from Dragon Lance. Jo'Sahir is a powerful and young Lightning Mage, but he is also physically frail and tired seeming. I want him to also do something related to Herma Mora, like maybe he is a Herma Mora Devote. If anyone can help me, Thanks!
Edited by sir_buttersworth on December 20, 2015 8:33PM
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, let us take what lightning is at it's very essence: plasma, which is essentially a highly energized gas. So, there is plenty of energy in lightning. You already said that Jo'Sahir is weak and tired. Well, Jo'Sahir cannot go around fighting Daedra, solving mysteries, and saving Tamriel without energy.

Well, how exactly does this Khajiit get energy? Well, I would say that he absorbs the energy of lightning. How would he do this? Well, other than a magical stone (that quest in Malabal Tor involving a Khajiit merchant), well, would be of course, plenty of knowledge and experience in magic.

Of course, how does Jo'Sahir obtain his knowledge for his magic? Well, then we can take into account another idea that you had: Hermaeus Mora. Of course, your Khajiit could have bargained with Herma-Mora for knowledge in storm magic.

So, a backstory would essentially encompass how he obtained magical knowledge from this Daedric Prince.

Of course, only one question remains: Magicka Sorcerer, or Stamina Sorcerer?
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, how does Jo'Sahir obtain his knowledge for his magic? Well, then we can take into account another idea that you had: Hermaeus Mora. Of course, your Khajiit could have bargained with Herma-Mora for knowledge in storm magic.

So, a backstory would essentially encompass how he obtained magical knowledge from this Daedric Prince.

What if his bargain with Hermaeus Mora gave him powerful knowledge of lightning magic and the use of magicka, at the cost of some of his stamina (since he seems tired etc.)?

Daedric bargains always have a price, just trying to think what that could be.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, Hermaeus Mora would probably trade knowledge for knowledge; but I can't think of what knowledge your khajiit would have that he would want.

EDIT 2: Helping Hermaeus Mora's followers to acquire their own knowledge also seems to gain his favour; e.g. filling soul gems for his followers to run some experiments (Oblivion). Your khajiit may only need to have assisted his followers in order to get his attention to make the deal as his 'reward'.
    Edited by ListerJMC on December 21, 2015 4:29AM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • sir_buttersworth
    Of course, only one question remains: Magicka Sorcerer, or Stamina Sorcerer?
    Jo'Sahir is a Magicka Sorcerer. He has almost all Magicka, a few Health Points, and hardly any Stamina Points.
    Thanks for the help @Totalitarian and @ListerJMC :smile:
    Edited by sir_buttersworth on December 21, 2015 4:57AM