The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka dk pvp

exeeter702
exeeter702
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I'm in the process of leveling up my Breton magicka dk.

I'm interested in two things here, and I'd love if some people can shed some info / experience on them..

1) Is there a viable option to play a proper mage archetype, ie ranged caster, I don't mean ranged like a sorcerer for example as most dk skills are mid range at best. Would I be stuck using a s/b?.

I was interested in playing with a destro staff and resto staff, running meteor and playing more at range like a fire mage. Is this not really viable atm?

2) what of dk shield healers in pvp? My igneous and healing ward, shield for a laughable amount to the point where it's literally not worth the cost to cast it in a pvp environment. I enjoy pve healing on my dk and was wondering if I had a possible Avenue to do so in pvp as well.

I should stress im really not interested in dw despite the SD increase nor am I interested in s/b, both these weapons are aesthetically major turn offs.

Thanks
Edited by exeeter702 on December 13, 2015 5:34AM
  • CamBam370
    CamBam370
    ✭✭✭

I'm interested in two things here, and I'd love if some people can shed some info / experience on them..

1) Is there a viable option to play a proper mage archetype, ie ranged caster, I don't mean ranged like a sorcerer for example as most dk skills are mid range at best. Would I be stuck using a s/b?.

As a player that has played a magika Dk through all the nerfs i highly reccomend

S+B with resto for small scale pvp
    - High Magika Regen
    - Has the best healing ability for a dk at the moment. Dragon-blood is horrible in pvp.
    - Invasion is a must for a dk, chains is not something you should rely on.

Desto+Resto if you are running in groups above the number of 7-15
    This is a viable option but you will feel squishy.
    It is very hard to deal lots of damage because many of the abilities in the destro skill line are de buffs, knckbacks and interrupts.
    You will only be limited to a few skills if you go this route because most of the dk abilities are close range.
    This is great for group play because you do not need to rush in and fight in the front you can fulfill the role of ¨proper mage¨

I personally run S+B because it combos well with my build, but you should test out your sets evry person is different, and in the current moment of pvp dks are being thrown on the backburner.

2) what of dk shield healers in pvp? My igneous and healing ward, shield for a laughable amount to the point where it's literally not worth the cost to cast it in a pvp environment. I enjoy pve healing on my dk and was wondering if I had a possible Avenue to do so in pvp as well.

The shields are absolutely atrocious unless you have champion points. The ingeous shield is more for the staminia you get form using it.
    Healing ward should only be used at low health. It is a very use full shield.

They had completely nerfed healing so it would be very hard to be a dedicated dk healer.
    I recommend not trying but if you want to, try and add you champ points to increased healing, get the pv passive in the support or assault skill line combat medic, it increases your healing in combat.
    Try to max out your resto and the passives.

The builds for Dk´s vary from player to player. Just test what you want to play and if you don´t like it try another.

What kind of armor are you wanting to run?
    What server are you on?

Former Emperor
    Xbx 1
    Pc
    CamBam

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pc NA, light 5 heavy 2 until I get undaunted passive

• hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

I was interested in playing with a destro staff and resto staff, running meteor and playing more at range like a fire mage. Is this not really viable atm?

I should stress im really not interested in dw despite the SD increase nor am I interested in s/b, both these weapons are aesthetically major turn offs.

Thanks

If you want to play your DK as magicka in PvP, Id advise you start as soon as you can because currently it is the hardest class play style to play. Your going to want to stack the class healing options, draw essence/whip/unstable - morphs with heals to them with a heal or 2 from the resto staff tree as well. Dragons blood is not anywhere close to what it used to be from a healing aspect.

Unlike all the other classes where you can get sustain/survivability/damage to a min maxed perspective, your not going to be able to do this with a magicka DK. So you are going to need to decide which of the 3 you'd be ok not having. s&b / DW/ destro are all viable weapon options for your dps bar.

Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to PvP 1 on 1 and not just be relegated to a group PvP you would need a shield/1H, the other Resto Staff.

Dual staffs are fun but man it sucks 1v1 usually as a DK

At least with shield you should be able to take some hits or even a Two Hander.

Any Mage type character would be a Templar IMO not a DK. Dual Sword/Resto Staff Magika Temp is a load of fun.
    Loads better than a DK other than that bitchin Dragons Leap that I oh so miss...

With my VET 16 Magicka it was always tough looking out of NB's, trying to pop immovable/shields before they got to you first so you could hopefully last a few seconds to try and put some hurt on them.

• CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    I primarily play stamina dk but I made a magicka dk before Orsinium dropped on ps4 and just uploaded a video of how I've been playing. You can check my channel to see Stam dk too.
    This is all PvP oriented.

https://youtu.be/1-oFiqdTHo0

Also, I'd appreciate any tips, feedback, advice..on what I can do better. Im new to the whole magicka, light armor, and stick weapon stuff

• puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you moved well and had pretty good positioning all the time.
    As long as Comet/Meteor is up you have a fighting chance. Tough to finish when it is not if solo.
    Kinda sad we rely on a Mage skill ULT to do significant damage as a Magicka DK.

In Groups we are great with support and kills, talons/whip and dragons leap.
    1v1 another story unless you get a lucky reflect.
  • CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    @puffy99
    Appreciate your feedback bro
    I agree on the ultimate part for sure. As awesome and strong as it is to finally use meteor, my class ultimates are nowhere near my Stam dks. Standard is mediocre at best and not worth my time due to cost and lack of damage.
    Magicka- standard(under 2k damage), corrosive (no), take flight (11k)
    Stamina- standard (+3k buffed), corrosive (?damage, but a naked enemy is usually dead), take flight (+20k buffed)

Gonna keep working on it. Thanks again for your comment.
  • Chadwikid
    Chadwikid
    ✭✭✭
    The good old magicka DK. My favorite class personally and my main.

I have tried many many different set ups with my DK (all my skill lines at maxed barring undaunted cuz I'd rather kill people than npc's). Sword and board/resto works, destro/resto works, dual wield/resto works (notice a trend here lol). Light armor works, heavy armor works. They all have/require different techniques and play styles. They have different strengths and weaknesses. They key to remember is Dk's DO NOT have the burst damage you can achieve with any stamina class or sorcs/nb's. The class isn't designed that way. You have superior resource management and the ability to apply CONSTANT pressure. You must learn to use it.

Don't believe the hype! Yes magicka dk's are in a horrible place at the moment and they are hard mode. In good hands they can be played with incredible effectiveness.

My favorite is dual wield/resto. I have no gap closer (unless I feel like annoying people with chains...assuming it's working that day). I don't feel it's necessary as Magicka Dk's have superior cc abilities to any other class in the game and some massive heals based off damage (power lash). I'm a DK if someone's gonna run you ain't gonna catch them period.

Also the only place that mag Dk's constantly perform extremely well is 1v1 so...I dunno wth you guys are all talking about. A stamina DK is probably my hardest opponent that wb leap combo hurts. I eat nb's for breakfast. Sorc battles usually end I. A stalemate and Templars are just a pain in the balls.
  • CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    Chadwikid wrote: »
    The good old magicka DK. My favorite class personally and my main.

I have tried many many different set ups with my DK (all my skill lines at maxed barring undaunted cuz I'd rather kill people than npc's). Sword and board/resto works, destro/resto works, dual wield/resto works (notice a trend here lol). Light armor works, heavy armor works. They all have/require different techniques and play styles. They have different strengths and weaknesses. They key to remember is Dk's DO NOT have the burst damage you can achieve with any stamina class or sorcs/nb's. The class isn't designed that way. You have superior resource management and the ability to apply CONSTANT pressure. You must learn to use it.

Don't believe the hype! Yes magicka dk's are in a horrible place at the moment and they are hard mode. In good hands they can be played with incredible effectiveness.

My favorite is dual wield/resto. I have no gap closer (unless I feel like annoying people with chains...assuming it's working that day). I don't feel it's necessary as Magicka Dk's have superior cc abilities to any other class in the game and some massive heals based off damage (power lash). I'm a DK if someone's gonna run you ain't gonna catch them period.

Also the only place that mag Dk's constantly perform extremely well is 1v1 so...I dunno wth you guys are all talking about. A stamina DK is probably my hardest opponent that wb leap combo hurts. I eat nb's for breakfast. Sorc battles usually end I. A stalemate and Templars are just a pain in the balls.

That's for this post bro. Good info