Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting high level motifs

Kuanoxaites
Kuanoxaites
Soul Shriven
My main crafting character is VR5 and has maxed out the Clothing level (50). Since he's only in the Caldwell's Silver zone, I've left his crafting skill at level 6 (Ironthread/Ironhide) to still be able to collect and do writs. I'm only doing the clothing writs to gain malachite shards/glass pages/etc.

Since I have the skill points, I'd like to take clothing to level 10 to be able to make Dwemer and other high level motifs that require a high degree of crafting but then I'd lose the ability to do clothing writs (and their accompanying rewards) until I'm much higher leveled. Has anyone noticed a benefit to continuing to do crafting writs after maxing out one of the crafting fields? Is it worth to continue?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have not done any rank 10 crafting writs mostly because:
    • I've heard the cost/reward ratio is pretty poor.
    • I just bought the **** glass motif because I have no patience for the fragment/glue/RNG game.
    • As an altoholic each piece of rank 10 material is precious to me.

However, I think you only need rank 9 to learn the high-end motifs, and I know I for one am drowning in voidcloth & shadowhide. I imagine (although I have not checked) that the prices for the rank 9 mats are getting pretty cheap in the guild stores and I know that mats are very easy to farm in Craglorn (where you can also find nirncrux) and Wrothgar (where you can also find cassiterite sand).

So it may be worth it to jump up to rank 9, learn your desired motifs, and add a little farming to your routine in order to clear your daily writs.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

So it may be worth it to jump up to rank 9, learn your desired motifs, and add a little farming to your routine in order to clear your daily writs.

Yep.

Now, you only need to be at 9 in one Equipment Craft to learn the Motifs, then you can use it on all Equipment.

I have not ever tried this, but you might be able to put a material at 9, learn the motif, then later on respec and remove those points.

However since writs are your main concern, you have to ask yourself if they are worth it after Mat level 6 or so. It is around there that you have to use up close to a 100 stack to make the gear asked for and the return on your investment is no where near that. L6 and lower you can do multiple writs on a 100 stack or close to it. With L1 to L3 you can do several writs per stack.

Then again, L9 writs do give you a chance to get surveys which have a good chance to get Nirn.....

Of course the Mid VR Ranked mats are easy to find as no one really farms them and the demand for them in the stores is quite low as most people skip 3 or 4 VR Ranks so they skip entire material levels.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with wayfarerx. Take your skill to 9, do your writs in Craglorn. You don't have to fight mobs there, plenty of nodes with easy access. You get a chance a nirn from the writ and from farming. If you're well stocked on tempers, sell the excess raw mats, always a good source of cash. You can farm the same mats in Wrothgar, but unless you are active there and are pursuing Ancient Orc motifs, I don't see the point, as otherwise you won't need cassiterite sand.

Nirncrux is still highly valued. If you don't want to craft with it, it sells very quickly.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Purple and gold upgrade mats.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    wayfarerx wrote: »

Yep.

Now, you only need to be at 9 in one Equipment Craft to learn the Motifs, then you can use it on all Equipment.

I have not ever tried this, but you might be able to put a material at 9, learn the motif, then later on respec and remove those points.

However since writs are your main concern, you have to ask yourself if they are worth it after Mat level 6 or so. It is around there that you have to use up close to a 100 stack to make the gear asked for and the return on your investment is no where near that. L6 and lower you can do multiple writs on a 100 stack or close to it. With L1 to L3 you can do several writs per stack.

Then again, L9 writs do give you a chance to get surveys which have a good chance to get Nirn.....

Of course the Mid VR Ranked mats are easy to find as no one really farms them and the demand for them in the stores is quite low as most people skip 3 or 4 VR Ranks so they skip entire material levels.

Learning the motif and respeccing does indeed work.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Kuanoxaites
    Kuanoxaites
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to up my clothing the level 9 since I really want to craft the rare motifs and frankly, the last several writ rewards have been...disappointing. And I can always respec!