The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Laurel Style Material for Mercenary Armor

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Laurels are not that hard to get. Until the Mercenary motif and laurel mechanic were announced, I had barely done any dungeons. Now I am doing them almost every day. There are lots of ways to deal with the situation. Laurels can be banked, so specialized alts can do the dungeons, and crafters on the same account can craft with them. The motif is so common, they are dirt cheap, so no reason not to learn them on both alts...one for farming, one for crafting. The dungeons get easier the more you do them. Normal dungeons were a challenge, vet dungeons impossible at first. Now, normal dungeons seem easy, and vet dungeons are still impossible....not really, but they do require more work. They are doable even if that means more deaths than I was used to. And you don't have to run vet dungeons at your level to get a laurel or skill point...find someone at a lower level and scale to them. Do whatever it takes to get through.

Regarding the assertion that this motif caters to the all in one character, my only question is why aren't all your characters able to do it all? I have several alts maxed in crafting in early vet levels while spending very few skill points on the crafts. Now they have access to skyshards throughout Tamreil, and can be made into full fledged crafters as well as capable fighters....there are lots of skill points and it doesn't cost that much to change abilities if needed. Any character can do it all, with a little attention.

Instead of complaining about the fairness of the system we were given, look at it as an opportunity to broaden your game experience. I might still be intimidated by public dungeons if I didn't have to go there for laurel. But I'm finally leveling my Undaunted skill, and unlocking some very good passives. I don't really care about the Akavari motif, and I suck at PVP, but the motif gives me a little more motivation to PVP anyway. I figure all I can do is get better, but only by engaging myself in an aspect of the game I have mostly avoided.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Laurels are not that hard to get. Until the Mercenary motif and laurel mechanic were announced, I had barely done any dungeons. Now I am doing them almost every day. There are lots of ways to deal with the situation. Laurels can be banked, so specialized alts can do the dungeons, and crafters on the same account can craft with them. The motif is so common, they are dirt cheap, so no reason not to learn them on both alts...one for farming, one for crafting. The dungeons get easier the more you do them. Normal dungeons were a challenge, vet dungeons impossible at first. Now, normal dungeons seem easy, and vet dungeons are still impossible....not really, but they do require more work. They are doable even if that means more deaths than I was used to. And you don't have to run vet dungeons at your level to get a laurel or skill point...find someone at a lower level and scale to them. Do whatever it takes to get through.

Regarding the assertion that this motif caters to the all in one character, my only question is why aren't all your characters able to do it all? I have several alts maxed in crafting in early vet levels while spending very few skill points on the crafts. Now they have access to skyshards throughout Tamreil, and can be made into full fledged crafters as well as capable fighters....there are lots of skill points and it doesn't cost that much to change abilities if needed. Any character can do it all, with a little attention.

Instead of complaining about the fairness of the system we were given, look at it as an opportunity to broaden your game experience. I might still be intimidated by public dungeons if I didn't have to go there for laurel. But I'm finally leveling my Undaunted skill, and unlocking some very good passives. I don't really care about the Akavari motif, and I suck at PVP, but the motif gives me a little more motivation to PVP anyway. I figure all I can do is get better, but only by engaging myself in an aspect of the game I have mostly avoided.

I have two characters, both v16. My first was my original main and is my Master Blacksmith and Clothing Crafter, while my second (new main) is my Woodworking, Echanting and Provisioning crafter. I have enough free skill points to drop points in BS and Cloth. Since I'm only running dungeons on him, I made it a point to obtain all 14 chapters and all duplicates from there go to my crafter. This made obtain Laurels very easy per day. As you said, it's also giving me the opportunity to get his Undaunted level caught up, among other achievements and items. Likewise, I have enough skill points to accomodate 10/10 improvement for BS/Cloth, to ensure I can easily farm with one toon, rather than multiple, while still supplying mats to my crafter.
    Edited by OmniDevil on December 4, 2015 6:14PM
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it would be more reasonable if it drops from ALL bosses in Group and Public dungeons.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

@Ourorboros
    Necro-ing this because I want Merc style and no one seems to have it XD
    I don't have a whole ton of gold but I can supply all mats, other than laurel obviously. Can I have you make me some medium armor?
    Edited by Draxys on December 16, 2015 5:32PM

rip decibel
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Learn the whole motiff for 100% drop rate from final boss in vet dungeon. Get a group together. Go to Wayrest Sewrs on Vet. Farm it. This dungeon is super easy. It can easily be done and takes like 15 minutes. Otherwise to "sell" the laurels you can have someone with laurels make mercenary styled armor, sell it to you and you'll have a really good chance at the laurel on deconstruction.
    PC/EU DC
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »
    Learn the whole motiff for 100% drop rate from final boss in vet dungeon. Get a group together. Go to Wayrest Sewrs on Vet. Farm it. This dungeon is super easy. It can easily be done and takes like 15 minutes. Otherwise to "sell" the laurels you can have someone with laurels make mercenary styled armor, sell it to you and you'll have a really good chance at the laurel on deconstruction.

Okay "learn the whole motif" means you have to luck out with the random drops from chests... and I'm still working on that... sorta.

As far as "super easy" vet stuff goes?

Still ... not a min-maxer, the group I go with knows enough not to stand in stupid, but we do regularly get defeated by the daedra-cursed timers of "finish this in 30 sec or get buried in adds" to the point where I would like to find whatever #$@$$ came up with that design and shake them warmly by the throat.

I hate farming.....

We have never finished a vet dungeon.

That being said, I will suggest that we try vet Wayrest this weekend and see how it goes.

Fingers crossed.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Okay "learn the whole motif" means you have to luck out with the random drops from chests... and I'm still working on that... sorta.

As far as "super easy" vet stuff goes?

Still ... not a min-maxer, the group I go with knows enough not to stand in stupid, but we do regularly get defeated by the daedra-cursed timers of "finish this in 30 sec or get buried in adds" to the point where I would like to find whatever #$@$$ came up with that design and shake them warmly by the throat.

I hate farming.....

We have never finished a vet dungeon.

That being said, I will suggest that we try vet Wayrest this weekend and see how it goes.

Fingers crossed.

The motiffs are super cheap for mercenary. What platform / server are you on? If you are pc/eu I can send you some merc motiffs. Good luck in Wayrest!
    PC/EU DC
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The motiffs are super cheap for mercenary. What platform / server are you on? If you are pc/eu I can send you some merc motiffs. Good luck in Wayrest!

Thanks for the kind words.... I do play mostly PC NA, but I have a few characters on PC EU (highest is currently 12th Templar goblin orc).
    He is almost to the point where I'll try joining a random or guildie group for Wayrest - as none of the rest of my NA buds care to play on EU (started a couple characters when there was a long maintenance on PC NA a while back ... I'm an altoholic, got to like my guys).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis