Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Set of heavy armor for a sorcerer?

pala_the4th
pala_the4th
✭✭
What set of heavy armor do you suggest for a high elf sorcerer veteran lvl 8?
I am currently using the seducer set I crafted in wayrest but I would like to hear your thoughts on what could be better.
EU XBone
High Elf Sorcerer
  • bicketybam
    bicketybam
    ✭✭
    I have a magicka based Templar and I went 5 piece Julianos, 3 piece Seducer, 3 piece willpower.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @pala_the4th What weapons are you using?

5x Seducer is a good starting point, you need the cost reduction for the sorc skills.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you a mage?

Theres some cool dropped sets that work well with the Sorc like, Storm Knight and Thunderous
    N64 NA EP
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda depends on your role (healer, damage, whatever). Law of Julianos or Torug's Pact crafted sets, Soulshine drop set for a damage dealer while leveling. Maybe drop Soulshine for Molag Kena for endgame. I haven't really messed with heavy armor too much myself, just throwing out ideas.

I'm leveling a damage sorc at the moment running 5 Julianos, 2 Cyrodiil's Light (rings), 2/3 Willpower (neck, staff, 2 weapons), and 2 Torug's Pact. But... I use all light armor. Having said that, there's no reason Julianos and Torug's can't be crafted in heavy.
    Edited by Number_51 on December 15, 2015 5:00PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the issues caused by Heavy Armor for Sorcs aren't solved by gear, but by a single spell: Elemental Drain. I understand why people are telling you to go with Seducer and similar solutions, but I've tried all that, and it doesn't work. You give up so much damage potential in order to boost your regen that you can't kill stuff fast enough!

Here's what works: design your build and your CP allocation around elemental damage from Destruction Staff, Overload and class spells like Boundless Storm and Elemental Fury. Choose Thief mundus to make up for the spell crit you lost from the 5 piece Light Armor bonus you no longer enjoy. Forget about magic based damage like Daedric Curse and Crystal Frags, you won't be able to sustain these spells. For the same reason, don't waste CP in Thaumaturge, put it all into Elfborn and Elemental Expert.

Spamming Elemental Drain and Impulse, I'm able to grind IC sewers all day with only 800 magicka regen. I make sure to keep my Ultimate high so that I can switch to Overload for gankers and the occasional boss. My Willpower jewelry is all enchanted with spell damage and the rest of my gear is either 3-4 piece Torug's + 5 Julianos or 3-4 Twilight's Embrace + 5 Twice Born Star, depending on whether I'm emphasizing Spell damage or crit. If you use TBS, add Shadow as your second mundus after Thief. I carry Dual Wield on my off bar so that I can pop Overload with an extra 400 spell damage.

To make all this work - and it DOES work - you need to get in the habit of tapping as many mobs as possible with Elemental Drain. This is the key to making Heavy Armor work, because you really need that penetration and magicka return when you give up Light Armor passives!

Edited by Emma_Overload on December 15, 2015 5:57PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently using the seducer set I crafted in wayrest but I would like to hear your thoughts on what could be better.

VR8? Get the 5 Piece Soulshine (two rings, necklace and whatever 2 armor you want but the chest piece does not match up well with other armors) and then have a 5 piece Julianos.

Put Glyphs on the jewelry for either Cost Reduction or Spell Power as the case may be. Then round it out with a Mundus that helps your character.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    ElfBane/Julianos plus willpower should work as well.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seducer is fine until you level up and can get elf bane. The question though...why heavy? With my sorcerer I focus on regen and max magic and always have a ward up. If they're damaging my health, I'm doing something wrong.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    What about Magnus? Ive been using that.
  • pala_the4th
    pala_the4th
    ✭✭
    I have the thief mundus and soulshine stuff is in craglorn, I guess I can try to craft that.
    How do you craft rings though???
    EU XBone
    High Elf Sorcerer
  • pala_the4th
    pala_the4th
    ✭✭
    As to why have the heavy armor, I enjoy a damage absorbing ward AND heavy armor. I find it useful against bosses and in PVP, as to decrease the glass cannon thing of sorcerers. I can lead the attacks through the castle doors, as I have seen yesterday :)
    EU XBone
    High Elf Sorcerer
  • pala_the4th
    pala_the4th
    ✭✭
    I am using destruction staff as a cryo sorcerer.
    EU XBone
    High Elf Sorcerer
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As to why have the heavy armor, I enjoy a damage absorbing ward AND heavy armor. I find it useful against bosses and in PVP, as to decrease the glass cannon thing of sorcerers. I can lead the attacks through the castle doors, as I have seen yesterday :)

Just to make the point though.... while you have a ward up your extra armor/spell resist from running heavy armor below the ward is useless... wards don't take account of physical/or spell resist.

If you're keeping wards up a lot then you're actually seriously gimping your build by not running light and getting the added dps & sustain from those passives. With wards up heavy is doing nothing extra at all.... only when the wards drop...

I've tried spending a load of time in heavy myself as a sorc... just doesn't have the damage or the sustain of a 5L, 1M, 1H setup, and the added tankiness is very minimal as a sorc due to stuff like your wards, surge etc.

P.S. to answer a Q from above... soulshine isn't craftable... its a drop from the vet 6-10 zones from chests, bosses etc. It's REALLY cheap on guild traders at the minute though so try and have a look round those. Especially as you can get jewellery for the set... tis very good.
    Edited by Flaminir on December 16, 2015 10:43AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of the issues caused by Heavy Armor for Sorcs aren't solved by gear, but by a single spell: Elemental Drain. I understand why people are telling you to go with Seducer and similar solutions, but I've tried all that, and it doesn't work. You give up so much damage potential in order to boost your regen that you can't kill stuff fast enough!

Here's what works: design your build and your CP allocation around elemental damage from Destruction Staff, Overload and class spells like Boundless Storm and Elemental Fury. Choose Thief mundus to make up for the spell crit you lost from the 5 piece Light Armor bonus you no longer enjoy. Forget about magic based damage like Daedric Curse and Crystal Frags, you won't be able to sustain these spells. For the same reason, don't waste CP in Thaumaturge, put it all into Elfborn and Elemental Expert.

Spamming Elemental Drain and Impulse, I'm able to grind IC sewers all day with only 800 magicka regen. I make sure to keep my Ultimate high so that I can switch to Overload for gankers and the occasional boss. My Willpower jewelry is all enchanted with spell damage and the rest of my gear is either 3-4 piece Torug's + 5 Julianos or 3-4 Twilight's Embrace + 5 Twice Born Star, depending on whether I'm emphasizing Spell damage or crit. If you use TBS, add Shadow as your second mundus after Thief. I carry Dual Wield on my off bar so that I can pop Overload with an extra 400 spell damage.

To make all this work - and it DOES work - you need to get in the habit of tapping as many mobs as possible with Elemental Drain. This is the key to making Heavy Armor work, because you really need that penetration and magicka return when you give up Light Armor passives!

You forgot to mention that you run out of magikca if you have to streak a couple times or have to recast your shields.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You forgot to mention that you run out of magikca if you have to streak a couple times or have to recast your shields.

And therin lies the problem with heavy armor on magicka builds... everything you do is a workaround.... a long winded way to 'make it work' and not be 'as bad'.

Emma is spot on... ele drain is great... and you can sit there and tag as many mobs as possible to keep your sustain up and that will work....

BUT an equivalent light armor build will already have killed all those mobs and not had to worry about ele drain. The light armor user will have sustained their magicka, had far higher dps, will have been faster by not messing around with drain, and will have stayed alive via their surge heals & wards.

If somebody specifically wants a special snowflake build for whatever reason that centre's around heavy then great.... all power to them.... but there's a lot of people out there using heavy as they think it's actually a genuine benefit and doing something really positive for their magicka build, which it just isn't.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have the thief mundus and soulshine stuff is in craglorn, I guess I can try to craft that.
    How do you craft rings though???

Sadly, you don't.

Do you want to play your sorc like a "typical" spell casting mage? If so, then the same sets apply as to light armor:
    Kagrenacs, Julianos, Seducer, Magnus, Willpower. All good.

If you are going for a more tanky type of magicka build I could recommend toying around with these two

Orgnums Scales and Permafrost.

I'm not good at mathing but that will give you somewhere around 6 million health regen with your bubble up ;)
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seducer and Magnus are good combos. You could also replace Seducer with Julianos for more crit % if needed.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »

Seducer and Magnus are good combos. You could also replace Seducer with Julianos for more crit % if needed.

Or combine the 2 5 Julianos and 3 Seducer.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured