Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Enchanting question

NBrookus
NBrookus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
If I have a piece of purple gear and I put a gold enchant on it, I know the item won't have the full value of the gold enchant.
But if I later upgrade the purple item to gold, will the gold enchant auto upgrade to it's final level, or would I have to re-enchant?

Tempering Alloy is stupidly hard to come by right now, but I need to enchant my gear. I'm hoping I can skip burning through a bunch of Reporas.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    If I have a piece of purple gear and I put a gold enchant on it, I know the item won't have the full value of the gold enchant.
    But if I later upgrade the purple item to gold, will the gold enchant auto upgrade to it's final level, or would I have to re-enchant?

Tempering Alloy is stupidly hard to come by right now, but I need to enchant my gear. I'm hoping I can skip burning through a bunch of Reporas.

I'm pretty sure it will upgrade ^^
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be easy to test on low level gear and enchantments, and if you have a bunch of Druegh Wax, then you could try it with clothing.

Wait, your on the PC, load up the PTS and try it. I think the characters are still copied over there, so you can use up their gear. Even if they are not leveled to VR16, the same principal should apply to VR14 or VR12
    Edited by Nestor on December 10, 2015 9:32PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my experience, unless they've changed something recently, enchantment values are the same regardless of the color of the gear. So, if I put a gold enchant on white gear, it still shows the same value as the glyph itself. And, improving the gear doesn't make the enchantment increase in value.

However, you only get the full enchantment value on jewelry, weapons, and the chest, head, and legs for armor. All other armor pieces have reduced enchantment values.

Unless something has changed recently or my memory is failing...
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 10, 2015 11:14PM
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few samples of the a bit complex logic:
    - a dropped epic gear with original glyph will be improved to gold -> the glyph gets upgraded to gold too.
    - a dropped epic gear gets your own epic glyph, then improved to gold -> gear gets golden but glyph stays epic level.
    - an epic (dropped or crafted) gear gets golden glyph and then gets improved to golden -> the gear is golden and glyph stays golden.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    - a dropped epic gear with original glyph will be improved to gold -> the glyph gets upgraded to gold too.

Really? I wish I had paid more attention to the Molag Kena enchantment when I made that one Gold.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    - a dropped epic gear gets your own epic glyph, then improved to gold -> gear gets golden but glyph stays epic level.
    - an epic (dropped or crafted) gear gets golden glyph and then gets improved to golden -> the gear is golden and glyph stays golden.

Thanks! So it's safe to spend those Reporas and Kutas; I won't have to re-do them.