Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

overwhelmed a little and need some advice

beveri8469
beveri8469
Soul Shriven
Just started playing ESO and was wondering if i need to just work on lvling a toon then worry about crafting
or should i work on crafting while im lvling my toon.
honestly not sure what to do.
just dont want to waste skill points if i dont have to.
thank you very much.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on PC get the SkyShards addon and scoop them up as you clear each zone. If you know you want to be a crafter deconstruct all your drops relevant to that Craft as you level up. Don't put any skill points into crafting aside from the ones required to level up further. You can fill the rest out later when you have more skill points but right now unlocking all your relevant class, racial, and armor passives/skills need to take priority.
  • Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    easy way to get all the things needed to level up crafting is to not make yourself new gear. Don't bother upgrading anything either. Save all your mats while you level and you will be amazed at the stockpile you will have. As you level you will get drops which will be more than enough to equip your character thru your journey and when its outdated you can deconstruct it.

As you quest, stop and collect any harvestable nodes you come across and save them. All the drops you get ...deconstruct them. Once you level a craft to a high enough level to put points into the "get more out of refining" passive, do so and refine all the mats you have collected. It will increase your chances of getting purple/yellow tempers (altho many will say GL on getting the tempers cause they are more rare than a mouse in a mouse-trap factory).

Lastly the best way to level quickly is to get a buddy and have them craft stuff (level appropriate) which you then deconstruct. For whatever reason the dev's made it so it counts for more exp. I guess as a way to foster "community".

Do writs...the turn in inspiration is pretty decent. Another thing I found to do that can help is to not read books you come across in bookshelves till your skills are like 40+. Some (random) bookshelves grant +1 to whatever skill (destroy staves, Sword and shield, Blacksmithing, etc) Its nice at level 1 to get a quick bump, but its more cost effective to do it later in levels when it takes much longer to skill-up.
    Edited by Morozov on December 2, 2015 8:34PM
    AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
  • i3ig_Gun
    i3ig_Gun
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of reading those other complicated responses

Level your toon

Deconstructing will level your crafting (minus alchemy)

Worry about your research until you can "set it and forget it"

most importantly Level your toon.

XBOX ONE - NA
    GT: i3ig Gun
    Legion of Many - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy, Provisioning you can level in a few hours to max,

Enchanting is the most difficult to level..

What i did with my main, a sorc was the following,
    I levelled clothing and woodworking ONLY,

Studied traits on all the others as i got them,

When i reached vet i had more skill points to allocate and then went into crafting more seriously
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    max ALL crafting
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craft as you go, the problem with waiting until later is that your skill is so low you can't spend points to use the mats in your current area, so you might find yourself having to go back to earlier areas to gather wood, ore or whatever of the tyupes you can use in order to get your skill up. Unless you join a nice guild who will give you the stuff you need or you can buy from the vendors of course. Once you have a supply of mats its surprisingly quick to level the skills to 50, for example I never bothered with Provisioning and have just gone from zero to 50 in few days, but that was only possible by raiding our guild bank where people had stashed lots of ingreds.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For crafting, Decon as you go. It's the cheapest way to go about it. Make sure you're not deconstructing ornate items.

For researching traits: Try and keep your research balanced, so instead of having 5 traits unlocked on chests, you have one each on chest, hands, feet, waist and legs. This is for two reasons. 1. As you research more traits per item, the time to research increases significantly. 2. In the world there are crafting stations that will allow you to create set pieces of armor. To do so, you need a certain number of traits unlocked. Lyser made a really good guide on them.

Make sure you get your hirelings maxed - they'll send you love tokens that sell amazingly(and you might want to stockpile some of them for later). If you want to focus on one or two, Enchanting and BS are the ones that sell the best.

Also, make sure you do your crafting writs! Your writs are based on what materials you can use - for example, if the highest level cloth you can use is flax, that's what you'll be making. Writs give you a goody bag, a bit of XP, inspiration and some gold. The bag can contain gold tempers, trait gems, ornate/inspiration pieces and surveys that lead to a zoned area full of matts only you can gather. These surveys are unique, but you can keep them in the bags .
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    For researching traits: Try and keep your research balanced, so instead of having 5 traits unlocked on chests, you have one each on chest, hands, feet, waist and legs. This is for two reasons. 1. As you research more traits per item, the time to research increases significantly. 2. In the world there are crafting stations that will allow you to create set pieces of armor. To do so, you need a certain number of traits unlocked.

Third reason: you get to 8 or 9 traits and can't use all your research slots because you only have traits on two items left.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    For researching traits: Try and keep your research balanced, so instead of having 5 traits unlocked on chests, you have one each on chest, hands, feet, waist and legs. This is for two reasons. 1. As you research more traits per item, the time to research increases significantly. 2. In the world there are crafting stations that will allow you to create set pieces of armor. To do so, you need a certain number of traits unlocked.

Third reason: you get to 8 or 9 traits and can't use all your research slots because you only have traits on two items left.

Hadn't thought of that, but yes!
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I split it up, I have 2 chars, now at vr16, but by the time they were 50 they had plenty of points to each do some crafting.

1. Does all smithing, woodworking, and clothing so only one char has to learn the motifs.
    2. Does Enchanting, provisioning and alchemy. This one is my main and thus reaps the benefits of the alch/prov passives.

edit: my keyboard is weird

further edit:

Oh, and your question: I would level them up while levelling the character, but only put points in them when you have spare or absolutely need to (like if you want to craft level 30 gear, but can't yet because of passive).
    Edited by Jitterbug on December 7, 2015 5:24PM
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft what I use & I use what I craft!
    :smile:

& Yes, you can absolutely keep your crafting relevant to You as you level.

also generally speaking if you want to craft Alchemy, Provisioning, & Enchanter on the SAME character, you will need to make some serious upgrades to your storage capacity.

Have fun!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }