Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Free Play Weekend"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO Free Play Weekend. We're excited to welcome your friends to Tamriel this weekend!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you download, you'll need a Free Play Weekend code which you can find across various websites, or even from a friend that's currently playing ESO!

How does a current player find a code to give to a friend? Is there a limit (I assume so)?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Before you download, you'll need a Free Play Weekend code which you can find across various websites, or even from a friend that's currently playing ESO!

How does a current player find a code to give to a friend? Is there a limit (I assume so)?

If you subscribe to receive mail from ESO, we will be sending the codes tomorrow. Otherwise, please direct your friends to the sites listed in this article (if they aren't live yet, they will be soon!).
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important question here... When can I ride my mount with a torch out?

Sent this to some friends who have been on the fence about the game, hopefully they'll give it a go.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not clear whether the "free week end" players will have an "eso+ status" (which means, access to IC and Orsinium) or not.... ?
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    So
    Monday, December 14th

or
    Monday, December 13th

?
    Monday is December 14th, but did you actually mean Monday or December 13th?
    Edited by Thavie on December 7, 2015 6:25PM
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thavie wrote: »
    So
    Monday, December 14th

or
    Monday, December 13th

?
    Monday is December 14th, but did you actually mean Monday or December 13th?
    Sorry! We meant Monday, December 14th at 3am EST (and it should be fixed in the article now).

It's not clear whether the "free week end" players will have an "eso+ status" (which means, access to IC and Orsinium) or not.... ?
    They will only have access to the base game patch. However, they will be able to purchase crowns to get access to those areas if desired.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If possible, I would make the free trial codes include all DLC to maximize sales for people who end up buying.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So someone who never played the game, never paid for the game will have the same chance to get the 1mio $?
    nice....not
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Member
    Noractis
  • LostRedden
    LostRedden
    ✭✭✭
    Since XB1 and PC are getting the Crown Discount back for the free play weekend, can we get the crown discount on PS4 as well, even if Sony doesn't get to participate in the Free Play Weekend?
    Vet 16 Magicka Sorc DPS, V16 Stam Sorc DPS, V16 Stamina Templar DPS, V16 Dragonknight Tank/DPS, V1 Stamina NB DPS
    |PS4 NA AD| [Guild Leader of IMaG]

Vet 1 Magicka Sorc b]PS4 NA DC[/b

Vet 3 Stam Sorc DPS [PC AD]
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Saint wrote: »
    So someone who never played the game, never paid for the game will have the same chance to get the 1mio $?
    nice....not

LOL ! Stop being so envious. A lottery is RNG, that's the nature of things, there's no justice in it, just dream and hope knowing that your chance is really, really small (but real) and it's the same for everyone who participates.

It's a marketing thing, not a loyalty programme.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will only have access to the base game patch. However, they will be able to purchase crowns to get access to those areas if desired.

Thanks for the clarification Gina.
    While I think it's a well-thought decision from ZOS... I don't think it's the best one.
    Let me explain...

Let's assume have a friend who never played ESO, I'd like her to join. This free week-end is the perfect opportunity. Of course she'll want to play "with me" (it's an MMO after all). So she joins the free week end, groups up with me and... what do we do ? I want to show her my favourite places in the game... oh wait, she's lvl 3-10, we're restricted to DC zones. We wanna "play" together ? Oh wait, I one shoot all the mobs with my VR16 sorc. She has not idea of the fun/difficulty just because I'm with her...

Then... let's level her up to 10 and let's go Cyro ? well, PvP is not her thing.

Let's go Orsinium ? The most beautiful, engaging content so far, and the closest to "Skyrim II" or "Skyrim online" ? Oh wait, she can't...

IMHO, let them go to Orsinium. That's what will make them play with us during the week-end, then possibly buy and sub.

Just my 2 cents. @ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_RichLambert ...

• CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    nice....not

@The_Saint It seems you misread the article....

If you decide to purchase ESO before the Free Play Weekend concludes on December 14th at 3am EST, not only will you save 60% on the game but all your progress from the weekend will carry over! In addition, you'll be entered to win $1 million (USD)
    Edited by CJohnson81 on December 7, 2015 7:55PM
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the clarification Gina.
    While I think it's a well-thought decision from ZOS... I don't think it's the best one.
    Let me explain...

Let's assume have a friend who never played ESO, I'd like her to join. This free week-end is the perfect opportunity. Of course she'll want to play "with me" (it's an MMO after all). So she joins the free week end, groups up with me and... what do we do ? I want to show her my favourite places in the game... oh wait, she's lvl 3-10, we're restricted to DC zones. We wanna "play" together ? Oh wait, I one shoot all the mobs with my VR16 sorc. She has not idea of the fun/difficulty just because I'm with her...

Then... let's level her up to 10 and let's go Cyro ? well, PvP is not her thing.

Let's go Orsinium ? The most beautiful, engaging content so far, and the closest to "Skyrim II" or "Skyrim online" ? Oh wait, she can't...

IMHO, let them go to Orsinium. That's what will make them play with us during the week-end, then possibly buy and sub.

Just my 2 cents. @ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_RichLambert ...

I plan on playing with my brother. I'm going to start a new alt just so we can level up together.
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CJohnson81 wrote: »
    nice....not

If you decide to purchase ESO before the Free Play Weekend concludes on December 14th at 3am EST, not only will you save 60% on the game but all your progress from the weekend will carry over! In addition, you'll be entered to win $1 million (USD)

when you read the pc/mac its sounds different...
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Member
    Noractis
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice....not

when you read the pc/mac its sounds different...

Yeah, I was a bit confused on that too.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It definitely looks like anyone can just log into the game once on PC, never pay a single cent for it, and potentially win a million dollars.

If that it the case I suggest you all stock up on LOLs for the winter.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Anyone who plays ESO during the contest period and meets all the eligibility requirements can register to win - it's not restricted if you own the game or not. In the case of the Free Play Weekend, anyone who participates will be able to enter.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it's literally just like Publisher's Clearing Hourse (i.e. no purchase necessary)

Which ZOS employee is coming to my house with a giant novelty check? :trollface:
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's confusing! @The_Saint, @MissBizz

It makes sense that it wouldn't be a required purchase because sweepstakes can't be pay to play. Like the McDonald's Monopoly game - you can just write a letter asking for game pieces if you don't feel like being tempted to eat two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun, with a side of delicious golden french fries while quenching your thirst with an ice cold, refreshing Coca-Cola brand soft drink.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's confusing! The_Saint, MissBizz

It makes sense that it wouldn't be a required purchase because sweepstakes can't be pay to play. Like the McDonald's Monopoly game - you can just write a letter asking for game pieces if you don't feel like being tempted to eat two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun, with a side of delicious golden french fries while quenching your thirst with an ice cold, refreshing Coca-Cola brand soft drink.

Now I'm mad at you. McDonald's doesn't deliver.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep help but to wonder about something:

Is ZOS hurting for new players? (the 1 Mill Dollars contest, now the free to play weekend) or is ZOS just being very aggressive trying to get new players? I wonder if I should be worry about the status of the game or not...
    Edited by k9mouse on December 7, 2015 9:07PM
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's confusing! The_Saint, MissBizz

Now I'm mad at you. McDonald's doesn't deliver.

Yeah, I'm kinda mad at myself too now.
  • Arkady
    Arkady
    ✭✭
    nice....not

You don't have to own the game now to enter and win. You can submit a mail in entry. That is the way many contest rules work. If they didn't offer a no purchase option the contest would be severely restricted (even more so than it is now) and would have different laws/rules and taxes that apply.
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    I understand not allowing access to DLC content. Maybe if it was for a day or something shorter, then you could get someone hooked. When you are talking about multiple days, someone could possibly plow through it and decide that they've already seen most of the DLC at that point and decide to not purchase it perhaps. Orsinium is one zone. I feel like people can get a good feel for the game by playing the base game. It would also probably be a more difficult technical feat to give free access to the DLC too. Keep it simple and do the base game. Also, don't look a gift horse in the mouth as the saying goes. They offer people something for free, I don't see the need to ask for even more.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who plays ESO during the contest period and meets all the eligibility requirements can register to win - it's not restricted if you own the game or not. In the case of the Free Play Weekend, anyone who participates will be able to enter.

Nice. I have subbed since day one, but since I live in Florida I'm not eligible. However, people with no sub that jump on for a free weekend will be eligible.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I have subbed since day one, but since I live in Florida I'm not eligible. However, people with no sub that jump on for a free weekend will be eligible.

So what ?

At the same time there are several dozen similar sweepstakes that you cannot take part in because they are organized abroad and half a dozen similar sweepstakes in which you can participate but I can't because they are in your country.

So what ?

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well... last time i downloaded ESO it took me more 10 days on a 20Mbps line fully working with no limitations at my end or my ISP. so... i'll not invite my friends to start downloading on thursday to play on the weekend, it's useless :') ...unless you are favoring free player over paying players as you did with the contest that i can't join.
    Edited by NeKryXe on December 8, 2015 3:51AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »

If possible, I would make the free trial codes include all DLC to maximize sales for people who end up buying.

Give them access to areas that some active players don't even have access to? I don't agree with that approach.

There is more than enough content in the game already for new players without the DLC.
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the whole setup of the contest.
    And Even more that it's something somebody might get just cause, not even a real link to the game.

I realy realy hope they will also do things for us as a community, as we support the game and now and then I'd love to see that back. Yes I get crowns for the sub fee, but come on. Let's do something everybody can participate in, I don't want money prices do cool stuff in game, special mount or a crown pack or something we all can use and have fun with.
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »

You have access to PTS I think, were you can do all the DLC content.
    I prefer to have a spot in game were I can escape the lagfest, being the DLC"s.

Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com