Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Idea for the next hard to get potion recipe and mats

Casdha
Casdha
✭✭✭✭✭
The idea is not what to use but more what it makes. A Polymorph potion (Race Change). Just like Psiijic Ambrosia, it would be hard to get but could also be sold in the crown store if folks didn't want to farm for it or buy it at a guild trader. Maybe Perfect Roe and one or two more ingredients of the same rarity.
To be fair, One mat " Perfect Row" can be found by anyone fishing (Solo). Have the next mat be found by farming mats in Cyrodiil (PvP) kind of like nirn in Craglorn. For the last mat, have it drop from trash mobs in group dungeons. This way each play style will have something to trade or sell to one another.

Just a thought.

p.s. If this were done, for goodness sake make sure it is part of the base game. Also, don't bind the recipe or Mats

Edit: Tweaked idea a bit to be fair
Edited by Casdha on December 1, 2015 6:21AM
Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    The idea is not what to use but more what it makes. A Polymorph potion (Race Change). Just like Psiijic Ambrosia, it would be hard to get but could also be sold in the crown store if folks didn't want to farm for it or buy it at a guild trader. Maybe Perfect Roe and one or two more ingredients of the same rarity.
    To be fair, One mat " Perfect Row" can be found by anyone fishing (Solo). Have the next mat be found by farming mats in Cyrodiil (PvP) kind of like nirn in Craglorn. For the last mat, have it drop from trash mobs in group dungeons. This way each play style will have something to trade or sell to one another.

Just a thought.

p.s. If this were done, for goodness sake make sure it is part of the base game. Also, don't bind the recipe or Mats

Race change and gender change do seem like things a potion could be made for...I don't think it should be a provisioning thing though. Definitely alchemy. The ingredients required could be found on a piece of paper somewhere (which could later be referenced in Eidetic Memory), and they could be the first potion that would require 4 reagents (possibly a second rank to the laboratory perk would be needed to accommodate this), and one of the ingredients could be a new reagent that's super rare (only used in non-standard potions like race/gender changing and stuff).

As for class changes...maybe some kind of ritual? Hey, a class change will need to happen at some point. When you have a VR16 main, one that you've been using for months, and you wish you got a different class, you shouldn't have to reroll and start all over. If class changes will become a thing then yes, a ritual (or repeatable quest in which a ritual is involved).
    Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought.

Race change and gender change do seem like things a potion could be made for...I don't think it should be a provisioning thing though. Definitely alchemy. The ingredients required could be found on a piece of paper somewhere (which could later be referenced in Eidetic Memory), and they could be the first potion that would require 4 reagents (possibly a second rank to the laboratory perk would be needed to accommodate this), and one of the ingredients could be a new reagent that's super rare (only used in non-standard potions like race/gender changing and stuff).

As for class changes...maybe some kind of ritual? Hey, a class change will need to happen at some point. When you have a VR16 main, one that you've been using for months, and you wish you got a different class, you shouldn't have to reroll and start all over. If class changes will become a thing then yes, a ritual (or repeatable quest in which a ritual is involved).

I was thinking Alchemy as well. As far as using Perfect Roe, there are recipes now in Orsinium that use alchemy mats in food. Why not use food mats in alchemy? No harm in in being able to do double duty with rare items, it might put some value back into it.

edit: adding a pic of new food recipe
    sZZ8q6lj.jpg
    Edited by Casdha on December 1, 2015 6:33PM

• Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought.

I was thinking Alchemy as well. As far as using Perfect Roe, there are recipes now in Orsinium that use alchemy mats in food. No harm in in being able to do double duty, might put some value back into it.

Alchemy mats in food? Didn't know about this until you said it, but that sounds cool.

I still think that a potion for sex/race changes should be alchemy territory rather than provisioning. There's no reason a new ingredient couldn't be added to the game. They could have appear as super rare resource nodes on the overworld, have a REALLY small chance to appear anywhere, and could be distinguished by a bright golden glow and also a skyshard-style beam of light.
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is an interesting idea.
    I'm not keen on race or class changes being available, but they're coming whether I like it or not, and I'd rather there was an in-game way of doing it as well as just Crown Store. Alchemy certainly seems fitting for race/sex changes, and there isn't anything "special" to make using alchemy like Psychic Ambrosia for provisioning..
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so to keep the mechanics the same without changing a lot, (combining ideas here). Add another skill point to laboratory and rather than a recipie, Have the tool tip say something like " Allows the use of this, this, this, and this to make (Potion Name) which allows you to change race/sex.

As for Class, I think it should be visiting an NPC to buy training (or a quest) or another Aedric shrine where you pay to allow you to choose a different path in life.

• Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so to keep the mechanics the same without changing a lot, (combining ideas here). Add another skill point to laboratory and rather than a recipie, Have the tool tip say something like " Allows the use of this, this, this, and this to make (Potion Name) which allows you to change race/sex.

As for Class, I think it should be visiting an NPC to buy training (or a quest) or another Aedric shrine where you pay to allow you to choose a different path in life.

An Aedric shrine...maybe Akatosh? It rewinds time and allows you to change your decision. A class change is probably the most major thing in the game though, so I don't think it should be that easy.

Maybe a relatively lengthy quest where the reward is the chance to use the shrine?
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An Aedric shrine...maybe Akatosh? It rewinds time and allows you to change your decision. A class change is probably the most major thing in the game though, so I don't think it should be that easy.

Maybe a relatively lengthy quest where the reward is the chance to use the shrine?

I would expect any change, including class, to start out at zero on skill earned. You may be maxed 50 in your race and class skills but if you change them those start back out at zero and points are earned the same way they were the first time. Kind of like having to level up a new weapon or armor skill line when you try to change what you use after reaching max level. I think that would be plenty of cost myself. I might be willing to forgo leveling the race skill, but not the class. Kind of like how many folks change careers several times throughout life.
    Edited by Casdha on December 2, 2015 6:03AM