Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do I become a "Skilled" Player.

Gamerscape2007
Gamerscape2007
✭✭✭✭
I'm asking this because I feel like I'm taking advantage of stats to overall make my Character have an extremely survivabilty. I've tested this build (Nightblade Magicka sap tank.) On pts, and while I don't really have the desired set, I was still tanky enough and still had at least around 2300 damage unbuffed and 30k magicka. The whole purpose of the build is to max out my healing received to benefit the most out of my hot, and having an extremely high damage mitigation.

While I like this build, I can't help but have the false feeling of "I'm a better player." Maybe the whole Min max thing is just getting to me, but can you guys give me clarification what a skilled player do or not? This is the build I plan on using.

Armor:
5P Heavy Twilight embrace/Writestrake's
2p Heavy Molag Kena/ 2p Julianos
*Note I'm using the reinforce trait on all of them.*
3p willpower jewelry with spell damage enchants.

Weapon:
Main: Maelstrom sword (Dual wield.)/Julianos shield.
Back: Maelstorm res staff.
*Note: I'm using the defending trait on all of them.*

Skills
Main: Swallow Soul, Crippling Grasp, Sap Essence, Proxy det, Inner Light, Soul Tether.
Back: Dark Cloak, Rapid Regen, Siphoning attack, Blessing of combat/Quick Siphoning, Inner Light, Clouding Swarm.

Passive: (Just assume I put all my points into my respective skills I'm using.)

501 Champion points: http://deltiasgaming.com/champion/?b=641e12000000000000000011005200005300000000000000002328000000000000005c00

If my hp is around 20k with buff, I put the rest of my points into magicka.

My charecter is an Argonian vampire Magicka nightblade.

Edited by Gamerscape2007 on November 30, 2015 1:26AM
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't resist joke...to become a "skilled" player you must never ever do anything for fun. also you must be bitter to anyone who wants to have fun and do anything you can to ruin it for them. If someone wants to have fun they have no place in gaming! that is how you become a skilled player B) !

about the question you may get better results in the combat and character mechanics forum, perhaps you can tag a moderator to get them to move this there (if you make a new thread they may just close it).
    Edited by RAGUNAnoOne on November 28, 2015 11:32PM
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had to admit, I loved the Joke. XD

Anyway, if you think that will give me some answers, I'll give it a shot.

Hey @ZOS_GinaBruno Mind moving this thread to the combat and character mechanics forum? Many thanks.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably better to tag someone like @ZOS_Brett he is the one I would ask for things like this, Gina doesn't do forum moderations.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, @ZOS_Brett would you please?
  • ZOS_Brett
    ZOS_Brett
    ✭✭✭
    Thread moved as requested.

--ZOS_Brett
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to attest to the skill of a player in an MMO when improper gearing is so damning to character development.

The best barometer of skill out there is how much you need to be babysat. Does the tank need to constantly pull stuff off you? If so, bad player. Is the healer needing to spam BOL to keep you alive? If so, bad player. Are your teammates getting killed

A good player will take accountability for their actions. Bad player won't, and will just assume that it's everyone else's fault.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wear a meta build and duel to boost your 1v1 ego. Then cry about Zerg's in a large scale pvp intended game. B)
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on November 29, 2015 6:55AM
    PS4 NA DC
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minmaxing is part of the equation. You cannot live to your full potential with subpar gear. Flavor of the month builds usually work, but there may be other builds which also work very well, or even better.

What is it to be a skilled player though? Group PvE, veteran Maelstrom Arena, and different types of PvP have something in common, but also require different kinds of things to be good at them. Some components: animation canceling, theorycrafting your build (minmaxing), using the skills effectively, reading the situation, understanding the roles of your groupmates, knowing all the skills available to you, knowing the skills available to other classes (for synergies in group play, and for being able to read your opponents in PvP and anticipate what they are going to do so you are prepared to counter them)...

And working well with others when playing in groups - being social.
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, you gave me a lot to think about.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sap tanking in PvP is just about a thing of the past OP due to the lack of stam regen while blocking.

Maybe if you can keep heals running. Not just by blocking anymore though.
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    A skilled player to me it's one that knows the mechanics of the game, because they're not written anywhere. For example nobody tells you that blocking stops your stamina regeneration and i personally know it only because I read the patch notes. Same goes for things like; in PvE mobs won't critically hit you, so you don't need critical resistance. Things like those. There's plenty and you need to know them all in order to have a proper build.
    What's better, 123 spell power or 900 magicka? How many health do I need not to get one shooted? What do I need? Probably a build that is nice in solo PvE is not efficient enough in group PvE, or in PvP. In PvP things are completely different than in PvE. This game is so *** complicated. I've been playing since BETA and played many other games and I've got to say that i'm staying here only because it's confusing. Building up a character is hard and there's plenty of options. The only reason I know how to play is because I've been playing long enough and reading every single patch note and because i discuss the patch notes with my guildmates. This lets me successfully build up my character, obviously changing every single patch.

Then there's the skilled player in playing; Being able to see and react on the skills the enemies are using on you. On PvP can you tell wich skill is worth rolldodging? Can you manage your resources? On PvE can you bash the enemies before they fear you? Can you maximize your DPS? Remember that if you don't follow up the mechanics correctly you're loosing DPS because you might be mooving around, a lot of fights are not static. A good player looses less DPS because he know where the boss is going to teleport or a healer will position himself well and start stacking heals at the right moment. Because you know the fight and can react fast enough.

I could be saying much more but you get the idea I guess :p for me a skilled player is someone that knows how the mechanics of the game work and that has fast fingers and fast reaction time. About your build, I can't understand exactly what's for, PvE group/solo? Or PvP? I might be able to suggest then and help you. Even thou there's much more skilled players than me I surely know how the game works too :)
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    A skilled player to me it's one that knows the mechanics of the game, because they're not written anywhere. For example nobody tells you that blocking stops your stamina regeneration and i personally know it only because I read the patch notes. Same goes for things like; in PvE mobs won't critically hit you, so you don't need critical resistance. Things like those. There's plenty and you need to know them all in order to have a proper build.
    What's better, 123 spell power or 900 magicka? How many health do I need not to get one shooted? What do I need? Probably a build that is nice in solo PvE is not efficient enough in group PvE, or in PvP. In PvP things are completely different than in PvE. This game is so *** complicated. I've been playing since BETA and played many other games and I've got to say that i'm staying here only because it's confusing. Building up a character is hard and there's plenty of options. The only reason I know how to play is because I've been playing long enough and reading every single patch note and because i discuss the patch notes with my guildmates. This lets me successfully build up my character, obviously changing every single patch.

Then there's the skilled player in playing; Being able to see and react on the skills the enemies are using on you. On PvP can you tell wich skill is worth rolldodging? Can you manage your resources? On PvE can you bash the enemies before they fear you? Can you maximize your DPS? Remember that if you don't follow up the mechanics correctly you're loosing DPS because you might be mooving around, a lot of fights are not static. A good player looses less DPS because he know where the boss is going to teleport or a healer will position himself well and start stacking heals at the right moment. Because you know the fight and can react fast enough.

I could be saying much more but you get the idea I guess :p for me a skilled player is someone that knows how the mechanics of the game work and that has fast fingers and fast reaction time. About your build, I can't understand exactly what's for, PvE group/solo? Or PvP? I might be able to suggest then and help you. Even thou there's much more skilled players than me I surely know how the game works too :)

Well it's mostly a pvx build of sort. My goal was to max my damage mitigation cap, max my healing, as well as keeping a decent amount of spell damage. I admit, my resource management isn't the best in the world. Which is why I rely heavily on Siphoning attack to help counter this. And when my hp do get low, My whitestrake can will help me recover quickly due to my high sustain healing.

I do know my limits. Anyone with shield can really mess up my healing from swallow souls due to the fact that shield don't really count as actual damage. So my healing gets nerf real hard depending how much shield damage he got. Sorcs can be your worse enemy in that case. Like I said, Siphoning attack is your main way of getting resource back. Without it, you won't survive for too long. though using a magicka pot can help too.

That's all the weakness I can think about atm.
  • TheLaw
    TheLaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go back in time and play ESO around 1.5. The skill cap is so low now, skill doesn't matter.
    -= Shahrzad the Great |Sorc| =-
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PvP you could try using a 5/1/1 setup, swapping 2 small armor pieces for a light and medium one, and put the Impenetrable trait on it (or Divines if you need regen, you didn't state your mundus though).
    For this kind of tanky build I'd also use Refreshing Path and Mass Hysteria over Inner Light - there's a lot mroe useful skills, Inner Light really sounds like something you'd take because you didn't try them all out yet. Also try using Healing Ward instead of Blessing of Restoration.
    I'd put Swallow Soul on the resto bar so you can weave that and heal+deal damage+restore resources better together with Siphoning Attacks, but if you don't do that anyway, it helps your Healing with Sap Essence as it is now.

Note this is to support the tank play style... I don't see you dealing good single target damage without Assassin's Will.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    For PvP you could try using a 5/1/1 setup, swapping 2 small armor pieces for a light and medium one, and put the Impenetrable trait on it (or Divines if you need regen, you didn't state your mundus though).
    For this kind of tanky build I'd also use Refreshing Path and Mass Hysteria over Inner Light - there's a lot mroe useful skills, Inner Light really sounds like something you'd take because you didn't try them all out yet. Also try using Healing Ward instead of Blessing of Restoration.
    I'd put Swallow Soul on the resto bar so you can weave that and heal+deal damage+restore resources better together with Siphoning Attacks, but if you don't do that anyway, it helps your Healing with Sap Essence as it is now.

Note this is to support the tank play style... I don't see you dealing good single target damage without Assassin's Will.

Thanks for the feedback @ToRelax , I'm willing to change some things around for the sake of my build. (My mundus stone is ritual.) If I have the time, I'll go and make a video showcasing my pts build. Granted it isn't my ideal build, but your options are kinda limited when Zos don't give you every possible set to try out.
  • rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    A general observation for skilled players, applied for any good competition games:

1. know the mechanism thoroughly
    A lot of players do this part well

2. Situation aware
    Quite a few players can do it well, and most others who do not are free kills for players who do.

3. Mind game
    It's rare to reach this level. Sypher maybe is one of this level. That's is said, I have to complain about the constant lag of the server! With my ping 300 and fps drop to 20 even 10+ something, there is noway to play mind game, your input and your animation are desycned so bad.
    EP nb: ooxx your sis, Orc 2H/Bow, what you look at, never saw an Orc nb?