Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Any point in pursuing crafting on a 2nd character?

Reivax
Reivax
✭✭✭✭
I have a V4 with 50's in all crafts except enchanting. That character researched nearly every trait there is, excluding nirnhoned.

I'm starting a totally new character to focus on dungeons, and I don't see much point in worrying about crafting as I can switch over to the V4 and make the item for her.

Forgetting achievements, and the fun of crafting, is there any benefit to doing it on this new character?
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends.

Keen eye is nice for grabbing mats close to you. Extra stuff from hirelings is nice. Node scaling in new areas means you only gather stuff based on your passives. If you are still gathering glass motifs, the extra set of writs helps nicely.

I would definitely go for alchemy and provisioning for the Buff to food and potions.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »

Forgetting achievements, and the fun of crafting, is there any benefit to doing it on this new character?

Alchemy and Provisioning have passives that increase the time for potions and food/drinks you consume. They are also easy to level.

Then, with zones like Wrothgar (and maybe Cyrodiil?) with nodes that level to Crafting Material Level, your farming may not get you the mats you want unless you have Equipment crafting maxed on them so you can unlock the highest material levels.

Edited by Nestor on November 18, 2015 6:13PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want to craft in mercenary style you need your dungeon runner to know at least some chapters of the style to collect laurels. You need to have points in crafting to learn the style. (Until they put it in the crown store anyway.)

And yes for collecting mats in scaled areas you will also need to level crafting on characters you play there, if they continue to make new zones like Wrothgar.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.