Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Confused about the harvest nodes in orsinium

Oolou
Oolou
✭✭✭
According to the announcement about Orsinium, there are:

•Special harvest nodes that scale to the most advanced material type your character can use for crafting

So, I received a crafting writ that wanted a mixture of shadowspun and ancestor silk items. My crafting toon is VR7. I took her to orsinium and carefully snuck around looking for a silk node (very carefully as she's not geared or specc'd for combat).

However all I found was void bloom. My character is able to craft using silk ... so why can I not find any harvest nodes which give silk?

This is going to be a problem as my highest character is only lvl 14 and so doesn't receive drops which would give silk on deconstruction.

Am I going to have to stop doing clothier writs until I have a lvl 15 character who'll get the higher lvl drops?
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ancestor silk nodes exist but they aren't as common as void bloom and they're also hard to see, kind of looking like dark red spider silk. The best way to find it is to invest more cp into the keen eye passive.

Edit: I meant skill points not cp sorry.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on November 9, 2015 1:31AM
    PC | EU
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    As the post above me said. The nodes are rare. From my experience ancestors silk nodes was the ones I encountered the least out of the other v16 nodes.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've found it's about 1 in 3 nodes give the VR15/16 materials.

Though as always with RNG you need a big sample before you see that trend.

As you have access to Wrothgar, and that's battle-levelled, you shouldn't have any problems just running around harvesting as you go.
  • Leovolao
    Leovolao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of about 10 hours of grinding, I've found around 4000 void gloom and 1600 silk. That sample is decent in size to conclude that you have between a 30% and 25% chance to get a silk from a node. That number might be higher tho, because people have the bad habit of picking only the silk.
    tea pot

"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?"
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to rejig my crafting toon's skills so that she is a little more prepared for trouble when running around harvesting.

So annoying that the character that I actively play to quest cannot harvest high level stuff in orsinium. I suppose I'll get her started on some crafting skills too then. *rolls eyes*

Why did they decide to have the harvest nodes level to someone's crafting capability rather than their actual level? It's inconsistent with the rest of the game. I don't want to waste my game time specfically harvesting with my crafting toon. I'd rather play my active toon and harvest as I go along questing ...
    Edited by Oolou on November 10, 2015 12:00AM
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur the silk drop spawn rate is about 30% . But people pick only silk and leave void blooms to ground. Then only 30% of nodes respawn, and only 10% is silk. In the end whole area turns to void bloom field. You should only farm a smaller area and pick all nodes to keep spawns healthy.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone