The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What Music Inspires Your RP?

TheHumanFloyd
TheHumanFloyd
✭✭✭
Some friends and I have been talking about music and RP a lot lately. We just started a podcast which kind of merges the two arts, so we've been exploring all of the possible connections between them.

I'm curious what insights the RP community has. How does music relate to RP and vice versa for you personally?

What songs inspire you to RP and in what ways?
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many different songs can inspire me. Lately it has been the sound track from the walking dead, which has also been inspiring some of my story lines on the boards with my character Krist.

Example:
    Oats in the Water

Go your way,
    I'll take the long way 'round,
    I'll find my own way down,
    As I should.

And hold your gates
    As croak in the midas touch
    A joke in the way that we rust,
    And breathe again.

And you'll find loss
    And you'll fear what you found
    When weather comes
    Tearing down

I also have a very roguish Night Blade character, Luke Minhere, that Renegade by Styx fits.

The jig is up, the news is out
    They've finally found me
    The renegade, who had it made
    Retrieved for a bounty
    Never more to go astray
    This'll be the end today
    Of the wanted man

However this is only two of many different songs from different genres, from KISS to Enya, classical to rap, just depends on the character I am playing.
    Edited by Krist on October 12, 2015 6:41PM
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mainly what I listen to for any and all writing, mathematics, or anything that involves my computer includes:
    Two Steps from Hell (including solo works by the composers)
    ES Posthumus
    Selected tracks from Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
    Selected tracks from various League of Legends albums

That, however, generally does not dictate the actions of my character. Though the specific writing and word choice probably follows the cadence (not the musical definition in this case) of a piece. The stresses tend to have a rhythm to them.

Nevertheless, what I would do if I was skilled in pitch interval identification (I generally have trouble with identifying anything other than a perfect fourth, octave, or a major second and I will get a tritone and a minor sixth mixed up, thirds are iffy to me), and had a longer memory, would write my own music to accompany my characters. Sadly, due to a severe lack of musical experience in both playing and writing, that is not an option. The creativity is there, however. A day or two ago, I had a great idea for a piece, and it played through my head for probably 10 minutes, then, it was gone. The ordeal has probably happened to me a total of 10 times. Maybe one day though...
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love playing songs in certain situations.

Running down fodder on my Nightblade Werewolf? Gotta be Disturbed - Animal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxUgefMStM

Riding into a battle with a zerg at your back into another zerg? Breaking Benjamin fo' sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHuuBZgif0

Going through IC I sometimes like to listen to RED, in particular Already over and buried beneath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJPCdafnLo

For those moments when trying to court a Breton or Imperial girl (not successful yet) - she should be aware that love is a verb here in my room
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNWfz6_mXU
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I love playing songs in certain situations.

Running down fodder on my Nightblade Werewolf? Gotta be Disturbed - Animal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxUgefMStM

Riding into a battle with a zerg at your back into another zerg? Breaking Benjamin fo' sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHuuBZgif0

Going through IC I sometimes like to listen to RED, in particular Already over and buried beneath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJPCdafnLo

For those moments when trying to court a Breton or Imperial girl (not successful yet) - she should be aware that love is a verb here in my room
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNWfz6_mXU

nice ;>

but krist styx though? even in the 70's they sucked :disappointed:
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Cure - Wish
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Great answers everyone!

For me, the band Elder put out this amazing album Dead Roots Stirring, which was a huge inspiration for my Argonian RP guild, the Banescale Fellowship

Click here for an ear massage

I know there are others too, just can't think of them right now. I'll probably post them up later :)
  • a.skelton92
    a.skelton92
    ✭✭✭
    Go on spotify and play 'trailer music'.. Freaking epic. You feel like you could take on a zerg solo with that stuff on.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two Steps from Hell

Mixhound's channel on youtube is pretty good also.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor Swift!

But honestly, anything XD
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Orchestral, especially those awesome dubstep or epic kinds, along with dubstep in general and also lots of dark, ambient stuff. Also soundtracks from SH lol.

I'll have to post some links when I get home and can actually get on YT.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Truth is I love the in-game soundtrack!
    But how about some heavy metal?!
    Mastodon.
    Their older albums are about harrowing journeys and fighting mythical beasts!
    >:)
    It ain't easy being green.
  • Opeline
    Opeline
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, it depends on the moon my character is in. If say, Sonja was sad like yesterday, I will go and play music such as This Beauty or even This Gem.

On another note, say she was happy? I have been a bit into Glitch Hop recently and smooth solo tracks. They give me her perfect bouncy mood. Glorious, but omit the ending, please. or This Glorious Piece
    Why are you so afraid of what others are going to say about you? ***'em and feed'em fish eggs.

Champion Rank 561

Lillith Sohineh - Imperial Werewolf Healplar
    Sonja Gaercroft - Breton Healplar
    Casnia Nightthorn - Bosmer Werewolf Stamplar
    Elsynia - Bosmer Werewolf Stamknight
    Psythanna - Altmer Magiblade
    Llalayne - Dunmer MagiKnight

Aetherian Archive HM - √, Sanctum Ophidia HM - √, Hel Ra Citadel HM - √, Dragonstar Arena - √
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaah, I forgot about this thread. But now that I'm here again:

Writing Background playlist

Music doesn't just help me RP, it helps my writing in general. I've used background music for years to help crank my creativity up a few notches, thus the name of that playlist lol.

There's also a site called 8tracks that has a LOOOOOOOOT of awesome playlists of all sorts. There are more genres than one would ever need, but also lets you super-fine-tune what you're looking for.

Oh, there's also an AWESOME site called MyNoise that's kind of hard to describe, so I'll quote the site here and tell you it's a "Custom-shaped Online Noise Machines". Basically you can pick any generator and actually customize the sliders to your liking. There's even an option that will calibrate the generators for your "hearing threshold", so you get the most out of the site. It's super great and can help with sleeping, concentration, meditating, or in this case helping those creative juices flow!
    Edited by Arunei on November 9, 2015 4:27PM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Driving while listening to Rush gave me a thought.

I imagined my Dunmer clearing house with "YYZ" playing.

Now if I could just cancel animation like Peart tickles the high-hat...
    Edited by PrinceBoru on November 9, 2015 8:45PM
    It ain't easy being green.