Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Should I upgrade my writs for the DLC? Console user standing by.

johu31
johu31
✭✭✭✭
Hoping to get some insight from you PC users that have the new content.

Is it worth it to upgrade my writs? Are the new max writ rewards worth it? Are the materials easy to get and cheap to buy?
Currently I can farm and buy the nightwoods and voids easily.
Thanks
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As things stand right now (And using mat prices from the PC / EU server as a baseline) the wood/cloth / metal writs are a total waste of time at max level. Not even close to being worthwhile.... at best you just about break even, but most of the time you're better off selling the V15/16 mats. It will take quite a big price drop in the mats for this to change.

Keep them at tier 9.... the 'Void' mats are still cheap and easy to get, and you have the same chance to get yellow tempers & glass fragments.

Provisioning is slightly bugged in that it only allows you to use the new V15 recipe's from Orsinium anyway....

But Prov/Alchemy / Enchant seem to still be worth it. The mats Vs rewards have been coming out at a profit for the past week (Albeit slightly smaller than before in the enchant writs due to the more expensive V15 potency runes required).
    Edited by Flaminir on November 8, 2015 2:30AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've done the Equipment writs everyday this week. Each writ requires only one item be made with v15 mats. At most most this takes 15 of the new mats. This equals about 6-10k worth of mats. But I have gotten at least one survey every day And the surveys have been very rewards, with around 40-50 of the new mats. In addition, I'm getting the same results I was previously with Craglorn writs, i.e. some gold tempers, one glass fragment, and the usual crap. If I continue getting surveys with this frequency, the rewards offset the cost. But if RNG turns on me (don't worry honey, I'm only speaking metaphorically. I would never say anything to hurt your RNG feelings o:)<3 ), then the writs are only worth it if I can easily replace the v15 mats without spending all day farming.

Provisioning is easy enough. It does require new recipes. Those recipes are currently selling in the 1-3k range, but I don't know why. They are as common as provisioning ingredients....more common even. They are EVERYWHERE. I've found so many copies, I can't sell them all. I'm already giving them away and training my alts.

Enchanting.....too early to tell for me. I only did this twice. I did get a survey, with mediocre results. I got Kura and Jehade potency runes. The sticking point is the writs require Jehade to make a glyph, and unless surveys always give Jehade back, I won't do these, even though I did get a Kuta from one of the writs. The reward glyphs are superb quality, so there is a chance to decon these for more Jehade, but I seem to get more Ta than anything else from rune extraction.

Bottom-line is how hard are the new mats to obtain? I find they are certainly nowhere near as common as void mats, but not as rare as I feared they would be. After six days of only farming mats I found while questing, I'm about halfway to what I need for crafting a set of v16 armor. I'll probably have the mats sooner than the new motifs I want to craft them in.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • johu31
    johu31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks you both for the replies. Certainly helps!