Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions from a newb

Brometheus89
Brometheus89
Soul Shriven
Im currently level 9 on first char and have some.
1. Should I work on multiple crafting professions or focus on iust 1
2. Im having trouble knowing whether I should sell items to vendors, break them down for crafting, or sell on AH. I want to level crafting but feel I should be selling my items for gold so I can get a mount instead of deconstructing. What is best to do?
3. How do I unlock styles and what is most efficient way to level blacksmithing / clothing
4. Should I pick everything? Im finding my bag is always full, should I pick up things I wont use such as cooking materials and such so I can sell it?

Thats it for now sorry if bad formatting on this post I did it on my phone.
Thanks for your help

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2. Im having trouble knowing whether I should sell items to vendors, break them down for crafting, or sell on AH. I want to level crafting but feel I should be selling my items for gold so I can get a mount instead of deconstructing. What is best to do?
    3. How do I unlock styles and what is most efficient way to level blacksmithing / clothing
    4. Should I pick everything? Im finding my bag is always full, should I pick up things I wont use such as cooking materials and such so I can sell it?

Thanks for your help

1 . depends on what you want to use first, or if you want to wait and level equally all of them. I have used provisioning and alchemy from the beginning, now I am quite high on them, now I am leveling blacksmithing and leatherworking to be also able to craft my armor and weapons.

2. this is hard to tell, you have to decide, if you want to level, or sell it for money. I did it like half of it deconstructed, half sold. For deconstrucion of higher level gear you will get more experience then when deconstructing lower level gear.

3. for styles you need to find "motif books". there are to be found on various places in Tamriel. Or you can buy motif books on guild stores too. the best way to level it is to deconstruct anything that you can and to gather resources and then craft - for every crafted item/deconstructed item, you get experience and level that skill

4. when you check your inventory, there is always price written next to an item, if you hover the cursor over it. you can sell some things, but some are not for gold. if you do not want to use a skill (cooking), then you do not need to collect it all. choose.
    you can put the crafting materials to bank, then you will not have full inventory and the advantage of bank is that everytime you craft, you get acces to all the materials inside your inventory and ALSO stored in your bank.

You can also increase the size of your inventory, for gold on certain places. Also, when you buy a mount, then every day you can for 250 gold level the mount (speed, stamina, carrying capacity). If you level the carrying capacity of your mount, it increases you inventory size.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Alchemy & Enchanting demand a lot of inventory space, if you want to try both on the same character you'll need to think about that... & otherwise I usually make what I use. & Yes! you can get the skill points to master all the crafting professions.

2. White Quality items with no traits is junk, you can just sell to the game vendors... & loot "Sets" can be worth selling thru a Guild Trader, could be worth the research to find out.

3. Styles are learned from books, found mostly in furniture & at the Guild Traders, do shop around for the best prices... & about leveling tailor, research the traits you like in the items you use! also generally speaking, you get a little more gold for crafting items to sell to game vendors than for the stacks of materials, its a nice boost to crafting level.

4. No. Inventory management is a real struggle if you let it get out of hand, pick up only what you really need or know you can sell at a Guild Trader.

Have Fun & Good Luck!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Wolfy2512
    Wolfy2512

Thanks for your help

As others have said inventory space is your main problem. My main crafter does Blacksmith/Woodworking/Tailor and he needs to go deconstruct a lot, you'll find yourself getting bogged down with items. Go to a bag vendor in town (usually close to the banks) as early as you can for the first 2 upgrades, these will cost 400 and 2000 gold and will take you to 80 inventory space.

My advice at an early level would be to collect and deconstruct everything, even white items. some items will have a 'sells to vendors for 280% more' so sell these. The blue motif books can be found in furniture, check every house in towns and villages whenever you're on a quest (I recently did a quest in Shattered Grove in Auridon and found 2 blue motifs in drawers in the houses in 1 go)

Also don't worry about crafting yourself any armour at an early level, just use what you pick up as you go along.

One last thing, get some lockpicks and check the coastal areas, most locked chests seem to be around there.