The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to get >3k Spell Damage?

Tryxus
Tryxus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This is what I currently got (at least until research is complete for Kagrenac and I got the Ancestor Silk for V16 gear):

Screenshot_20151031_124920_zpsw2sdfebn.png

I've seen other ppl being able to get over 3k Spell Damage as well as having a higher Magicka Regen than this. How do they do that? Am I missing something?

(I'm a Magicka NB btw)
"The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC

Best Answers

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, there are a few things that someone with 3k+ spell damage could have done different:
    - Use dual wield / 2-handed instead of a staff
    - talk about spell damage with all buffs up
    - play a sorc
    - use something else than Magnus
    - different mundus
    - all legendary gear
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on October 31, 2015 12:35PM
    Answer ✓
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legendary v16 weapons will give you alot of spelldmg, many talk about spelldmg/wepdmg while being stealthed and fully buffed.

Also, ZOS in their infinite wisdom has simply made melee weapons stronger for ranged spells then a staff....go figure.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Answer ✓
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - You have to get necklaces/ rings that roll spell damage as the enchant, it's higher then can be glyphed. Cyrodiils light rings for example.
    - You have to dual wield swords and apply 2 points into the last dual wield passive. Weapon damage increases spell damage in this case....think the ZOS logic on this one was 'battle mages'.
    - You have to piece together sets that receive spell damage bonuses on the minimal amont of pieces. Wear 4 sets at a minimum. Also look at the Undaunted Monster mask sets, still very viable in some min/max setups since they have single piece bonuses.

Get the proper proc on your attack rotation. The max spell or weapon damage is going to hit when you proc on a spell that increases dmg for X seconds or 'on next attack'.
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
    Answer ✓
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield, legendary kagrenacs and major sorcery buff will give you more spell damage. You might then have enough spell damage to turn one or two of your glyphs into regen. Also sorcs can achieve higher spell damage than other classes thanks to a passive, so don't judge your spell damage against a sorcs. You should have major sorcery buff active at all times in battle so aim for 3k buffed. If 2.4k is your base spell damage then you might already be there. 2.5k base is about 3.1k buffed, for me at least.
    PC | EU
    Answer ✓
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to change Kagrenac's Hope for Law of Julianos in Orsinium.

You don't need 1200 Magicka Regeneration on Magicka Nightblade. Your spell are cheap enough not to need it. Also, go 3x Spell Damage enchantment at your jewerly (or 2x Spell Damage and 1x Magicka cost reduction at least).

Your Mundus should be either Mage (if you go for Spell Damage/Max Magicka stacking) or Thief (if you go for Spell Crit build in Orsinium and sit below 50% Spell Crit) or Thief+Shadow (if you go for Spell Crit build in Orsinium and want to use Twice-Born Star set with Nirnhoned Staff).

This is still subject to change as all the 2.1.x min-maxing research is still in development, but those are arguably the best possible combinations now on.
    Answer ✓
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have your restro staff in your main hand as well........
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    This is what I currently got (at least until research is complete for Kagrenac and I got the Ancestor Silk for V16 gear):

I've seen other ppl being able to get over 3k Spell Damage as well as having a higher Magicka Regen than this. How do they do that? Am I missing something?

(I'm a Magicka NB btw)

A lot of people will have all buffs up also when telling you their numbers. The most annoying is mag NB showing stealthed numbers. I think you would get close to 3k on you setup now if you buff up. That said Magnus is a POS set.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty for the answers ppl, rlly appreciate it

I took my 2 V16 Torug's Pact Swords out of the bank and made them legendary, boosting my SD to 2.7k
    And yeah, stealthed I seem to get another 200 or so SD

I'm also using Sap Essence, and sometimes Structured Entropy, for the Major Sorcery buff: 3.3k SD apparently

Kagrenac's Hope is on my To do-list, once my research on 8 traits for the last 3 armor pieces is over. My setup is gonna be: 5 Pcs Kagrenac Light (chest, head, waist, legs, feet), Kena Shoulders Heavy, Torug 2-3 pcs (staff, swords and bracers) and a 3 pcs Willpower (jewelry slots)

Currently, I'm using Atronach (with all 7 pcs Divines) to keep my Magicka Regen up (though it's still only at 1.4k-1.5k) since if prefer to have a bit of balance between them in PvP

So again: thank you all for the suggestions. If you guys have any more tips on boosting Spell Damage or Magicka Regen (or think that I should do smth better) plz let me know. I'd rlly appreciate it
  • rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just off topic, what mod are you using? The char panel is very nice.
    EP nb: ooxx your sis, Orc 2H/Bow, what you look at, never saw an Orc nb?
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This one, it's called My Build
  • rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    rolandlu7prb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭

This one, it's called My Build

All the info needed in one place. Just what I want. Thanks!

EP nb: ooxx your sis, Orc 2H/Bow, what you look at, never saw an Orc nb?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 Martial knowledge / the set which is basically a 16 version of Mk that drop from IC dungeon
    2 adrointness
    2 torug's

If you dual wield, throw Molag Kena shoulder in

Willpower with spell damage enchants

Cansr entropy/power surge.

Apprentice mundus stone.

I have well over 3k then on my sorc in pvp

I use regen mundus stone now though, and swap willpower for the standard ones fro dungeons.
    Edited by Brrrofski on October 31, 2015 6:40PM
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Legendary v16 weapons will give you alot of spelldmg, many talk about spelldmg/wepdmg while being stealthed and fully buffed.

Also, ZOS in their infinite wisdom has simply made melee weapons stronger for ranged spells then a staff....go figure.

Althoigh this is true, by using 2h and dw for ranged attacks, you lose magicka and ultimate generation due to the lack of light and heavy attacks.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    Don't forget to change Kagrenac's Hope for Law of Julianos in Orsinium.

You don't need 1200 Magicka Regeneration on Magicka Nightblade. Your spell are cheap enough not to need it. Also, go 3x Spell Damage enchantment at your jewerly (or 2x Spell Damage and 1x Magicka cost reduction at least).

Your Mundus should be either Mage (if you go for Spell Damage/Max Magicka stacking) or Thief (if you go for Spell Crit build in Orsinium and sit below 50% Spell Crit) or Thief+Shadow (if you go for Spell Crit build in Orsinium and want to use Twice-Born Star set with Nirnhoned Staff).

This is still subject to change as all the 2.1.x min-maxing research is still in development, but those are arguably the best possible combinations now on.

Yeah, I was thinking about that Julianos set when I heard about it

But wouldn't the loss in Magicka Regen be a bit of a downside for a NB and his Cloak. I mean, 1200 Regen seems a bit low to me. I alrdy enchanted the jewelry slots with Spell Damage enchants, switched over to Atronach and am using Vamp Abilities (Devouring Swarm on Resto, Elusive Mist on Dual Wield) for a 1.5k Magicka Regen.

However, the extra Crit and SD makes sense for a NB, who is supposed to take out enemies as fast as possible.

So in that case, I should go 5 Julianos, 1 Kena, 2-3 Torug and 3 Willpower? And boost my Crit % as well with a diff Mundus?
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

buff whats this buff thing?
    im wearing 5 seducer and two torugs pact V14 armor on V16 Templar nord willpower jewelry and shield/sword.
    1350mag regen im pushing 2640 spell damage so far on purple armor saving my mats for V16. is there a possibility for me being a nord Templar to push my damage higher? I use the apprentice stone.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

im wearing 5 seducer and two torugs pact V14 armor on V16 Templar nord willpower jewelry and shield/sword.
    1350mag regen im pushing 2640 spell damage so far on purple armor saving my mats for V16. is there a possibility for me being a nord Templar to push my damage higher? I use the apprentice stone.

Buff means casting an ability, having an ability slotted or using potions which increase something.

Casting entropy or using potions gives major sorcery which increase spell damage by 20% for a certain period of tune.

As a templar, casting a dawn's wrath ability give you minor sorcery which increases it by 5%. If that ability is vampire's bane, it also buffs your spell crit by giving you major sorcery.

You can't stack the same type, but can stack both.

Major won't work with major, minor won't work with minor. But major and minor work together. Check you skills and see what they give. Anything that says nearby allies includes you as well.

So on my temp, I start with entropy, cast vampire's bane then carry on with other spells. Keep using entropy every 14 seconds and a dawn's wrath ability every 5 or so. My spell damage is pretty mich always buffed wby 25%.

You could swap your seducer for martial knowledge (drop set) or magnus (crafted set). But you will lose regen, which seems pretty low as it is on your build. 3 piece willpower will help too.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1x molag kena
    5x julianos
    2x torugs pact
    3x willpowe jewelry with spell dmg enchants

Total: 1335 + 129 + 129 + 299 + 186 + 174x3 = 2.8k spell dmg unbuffed > 3.1k spell dmg buffed
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Buff means casting an ability, having an ability slotted or using potions which increase something.

Casting entropy or using potions gives major sorcery which increase spell damage by 20% for a certain period of tune.

As a templar, casting a dawn's wrath ability give you minor sorcery which increases it by 5%. If that ability is vampire's bane, it also buffs your spell crit by giving you major sorcery.

Major won't work with major, minor won't work with minor. But major and minor work together. Check you skills and see what they give. Anything that says nearby allies includes you as well.

So on my temp, I start with entropy, cast vampire's bane then carry on with other spells. Keep using entropy every 14 seconds and a dawn's wrath ability every 5 or so. My spell damage is pretty mich always buffed wby 25%.

You could swap your seducer for martial knowledge (drop set) or magnus (crafted set). But you will lose regen, which seems pretty low as it is on your build. 3 piece willpower will help too.

im pulling more spell damages with my build than legendary martial knowledge have bought at V14.

i use structured entropy i forgot that was called a buff.

with my nord on V14 armor im not far behind on mag regen than what my friend as a Breton sorc is pulling. my CP is 123.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

im pulling more spell damages with my build than legendary martial knowledge have bought at V14.

with my nord on V14 armor im not far behind on mag regen than what my friend as a Breton sorc is pulling. my CP is 123.

Well I run 4 Martial knowledge VR14, 2 adrointness VR14, two torugs vr16 all legendary.

Willpower jewellery all with spell power legendary enchants.

Atromach mundus stone.

Spell power is 2900ish unbuffed, 3500ish buffed. Regen is at 1200ish, but I run v15 drinks in pvp so that goes up quite a bit.

I swap my willpower for a regen set in dungeons, then use food.

That's on a high elf sorc.
  • Dakrana_Thrazvoth
    Dakrana_Thrazvoth
    ✭✭✭✭

(I'm a Magicka NB btw)

If you some ideas I link my current build : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/805701Screenshot20151012011149.png
  • Taemethius
    Taemethius
    ✭✭✭
    5 kag
    1 molag
    3Tourag
    3Willpower

4k sd buffed 3900 sd on overload bar

Ps4 ad sorc
    Edited by Taemethius on November 2, 2015 5:40PM
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I run 4 Martial knowledge VR14, 2 adrointness VR14, two torugs vr16 all legendary.

Willpower jewellery all with spell power legendary enchants.

Atromach mundus stone.

Spell power is 2900ish unbuffed, 3500ish buffed. Regen is at 1200ish, but I run v15 drinks in pvp so that goes up quite a bit.

I swap my willpower for a regen set in dungeons, then use food.

That's on a high elf sorc.

what does adroitness offer?
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    uberkull wrote: »
    - You have to dual wield swords and apply 2 points into the last dual wield passive. Weapon damage increases spell damage in this case....think the ZOS logic on this one was 'battle mages'.

Does this change with the latest Orsinium patch notes;

Two Handed - Heavy Weapons:
    Updated the tooltip to clarify the conditions of each bonus. For example, having a sword equipped increases damage on all attacks, not just basic attacks or skills from this ability line.

Dual Wield - Twin Blade and Blunt:
    Updated the tooltip to clarify the conditions of each bonus. For example, having a sword equipped increases damage on all attacks, not just basic attacks or skills from this ability line.

The sword bonus no longer grants a percent bonus to Weapon Damage and Spell Damage (a change that was made for the Imperial City update). It once again modifies all damage as a direct bonus.

What is the difference between a "direct bonus" and a "percent bonus to Weapon Damage and Spell Damage"?

• Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting thread but it would be more interesting with some tooltip damage.

Edited by Xeven on November 2, 2015 7:48PM