Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anybody ever got to VR2+ without completing the main quest?

Kammakazi
Kammakazi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Currently at VR 1.5 on my alt and only completed 4 main quests. Need 7 more LOL.

Wonder if anybody has gotten VR 14 w/o completing the main story before IC dropped..
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest I've finished it is the beginning of VR3.
    You can defer it as long as you want via PVP. But for PVE you'll pretty much have to grind the top of Coldharbour until you're strong enough to work through Craglorn. The reward for doing so... just isn't there.
    signing off
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a vet 14 DK who hasn't even been to the harborige once. He's was lvl ed back when craglorn was useful.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    VR12 currently, was VR 10 when IC dropped. Got to VR1 minutes after arriving in Coldharbour, went straight to Craglorn from there. That and a combination of Cyrodiil is how I've leveled. I intend to finish the main quest eventually, although in 6 Elder Scroll games it would be the first time I've finished a main quest story line.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Hyssia
    Hyssia
    ✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    Currently at VR 1.5 on my alt and only completed 4 main quests. Need 7 more LOL.

Wonder if anybody has gotten VR 14 w/o completing the main story before IC dropped..

Hit vr12 on my chars without even talking to The Prophet yet. Later chars hit VR14 (and then VR16) without talking to The Prophet.

In case you're interested, the highest level your mainquest reward for killing Molag Bal, is Veteran Rank 12. If you're VR14 or VR16 when you kill Molag Bal, you'll recieve a VR12 quest reward.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread to me because I just went into Cold Harbour.

So, I have some questions, some maybe noob questions but I have no idea where to go.

I'm playing an Imperial Templar, level 45. My gear is quests rewards/drops/etc. Nothing really great (I only have two pieces of a set), but I have magicka added to all pieces, 5 light, 1 each medium/heavy. I am a caster, healer alternate - although I haven't healed anything except dolmen. I use a destro staff 751 damage with 190+ cold and/or fire damage (depends on the staff I use, I have about 4 different staffs I carry with me, and use depending on who I'm fighting), and a healing staff if I change to healing.

I'm afraid I'm underpowered, and I say that because most semi-boss/boss fights turn into kite-fests. (and I don't understand why named NPCs are so much more powerful. An NPC 5 levels lower than me shouldn't be able to kick out a shade that can 2-3 hit me, but that's another story).

So, I don't know how I compare to the average player down here. I've only seen one other player at regular level (46); all the other players down here are vet rank.

Question, should I go PvP, level up and get better gear/staffs? Keeping in mind I'm not the greatest at PvP'ing. Grind somewhere to vet level? If so, where do you recommend?
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Latest I've finished it is the beginning of VR3.
    You can defer it as long as you want via PVP. But for PVE you'll pretty much have to grind the top of Coldharbour until you're strong enough to work through Craglorn. The reward for doing so... just isn't there.

What do you mean by grinding on top of Cold Harbor? Does this mean back to the main world? Should I go to Craglorn? No idea what/where that is. I think I've completed the normal playing area because I quested from one area into the next, and have not gotten any more quests for the next area (I was in Riften - finished that - then got the quests to lead the guilds to Cold Harbour). I've finished the mages guild quest. Should I finish the fighter guild quest next?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Hyssia wrote: »

Hit vr12 on my chars without even talking to The Prophet yet. Later chars hit VR14 (and then VR16) without talking to The Prophet.

In case you're interested, the highest level your mainquest reward for killing Molag Bal, is Veteran Rank 12. If you're VR14 or VR16 when you kill Molag Bal, you'll recieve a VR12 quest reward.

Oh good. If I can't get through Coldharbour because the main quest line is broken at least I can level so I can be (eventually) useful in PvP.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am at VR1 and the main quest is still almost untouched :), the same with coldharbour, dungeons and trials
    Edited by altemriel on October 21, 2015 12:45PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread to me because I just went into Cold Harbour.

So, I have some questions, some maybe noob questions but I have no idea where to go.

I'm playing an Imperial Templar, level 45. My gear is quests rewards/drops/etc. Nothing really great (I only have two pieces of a set), but I have magicka added to all pieces, 5 light, 1 each medium/heavy. I am a caster, healer alternate - although I haven't healed anything except dolmen. I use a destro staff 751 damage with 190+ cold and/or fire damage (depends on the staff I use, I have about 4 different staffs I carry with me, and use depending on who I'm fighting), and a healing staff if I change to healing.

I'm afraid I'm underpowered, and I say that because most semi-boss/boss fights turn into kite-fests. (and I don't understand why named NPCs are so much more powerful. An NPC 5 levels lower than me shouldn't be able to kick out a shade that can 2-3 hit me, but that's another story).

So, I don't know how I compare to the average player down here. I've only seen one other player at regular level (46); all the other players down here are vet rank.

Question, should I go PvP, level up and get better gear/staffs? Keeping in mind I'm not the greatest at PvP'ing. Grind somewhere to vet level? If so, where do you recommend?

If i can kill Molag Bal, then I think anyone can do it. I didn't have any special gear. I just used gear that was at my level and I made sure it was repaired before any big fight, and take food and potions with you.

I actually got lucky on one of the bosses. I think it was Molag Bals sister. She kept on killing me and I kind of gave up, but as I was laying there someone showed up and killed her; lucky me got the achievement for the kill.

If you are having a hard time. you might want to find a place in Cold Harbour to grind and level up a little more. PvP will level you up too, but a little slower process.

Edited by vamp_emily on October 23, 2015 2:36PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Anasatsudo
    Anasatsudo
    ✭✭
    I grinded in CH to VR2 or VR3, something like that, on my NB. I plan on doing the same with my templar now that I finally got in there.

My VR11 NB hasn't completed the Gold quest yet, but basically, I'm going from grinding spot to grinding spot. If I need to get into the silver/gold areas, then I'll do the main quest line to that point.

Of course, I could always go into Cryodiil and grind dungeons, but eh. I've also been grinding IC on my templar, that's pretty fun, and I suppose you could grind to V16 in there.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    level 24 to VR4 through PvP
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I am VR1 and I only killed Manimarco recently