Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question on nord religion....

HaldaAinur
HaldaAinur
✭✭✭
Okay, so I see that a couple of daedric princes, namely Herma Mora & Malacoth are included in the majority of the wikis regarding the Nordic Pantheon. From what I've see of skyrim and ESOs lore, the nords do not seem to worship these two in particular, or do they? Going off of an interesting article I found and general mentions of the Nordic Pantheon in game, I am lead to believe it is the former.

(article: http://tamrielvault.com/group/lore/forum/topics/the-ancient-nordic-pantheon)

As someone who frequently plays as a nord, I am just curious, and I apologise if I put this in the wrong forum. o:)
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    HaldaAinur wrote: »
    Okay, so I see that a couple of daedric princes, namely Herma Mora & Malacoth are included in the majority of the wikis regarding the Nordic Pantheon. From what I've see of skyrim and ESOs lore, the nords do not seem to worship these two in particular, or do they? Going off of an interesting article I found and general mentions of the Nordic Pantheon in game, I am lead to believe it is the former.

(article: http://tamrielvault.com/group/lore/forum/topics/the-ancient-nordic-pantheon)

As someone who frequently plays as a nord, I am just curious, and I apologise if I put this in the wrong forum. o:)

Speaking more of Malacath because I know a bit more about that. They don't worship him (except for a few loonies possibly) but he is part of the pantheon as Mauloch or Orkey/Old Knocker, an enemy god.

Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    They don't worship Hermaeus Mora or Malak, no, but they do recognise them as dangerous dieties like us Dunmer.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nords worship Mead
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an enemy god.

exactly!
    less that they worship them as good gods, and more that they are trying to appease the bad gods
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭
    soooo....I mostly got; enemy gods. Cool. By 'appeasing' have they ever sacrificed and such, or just fought them?
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    an enemy god.

exactly!
    less that they worship them as good gods, and more that they are trying to appease the bad gods

Sorry to ask again, but appease...?
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Give offerings in order to ensure their ill will isn't directed at you.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've gathered, they try to avoid them altogether, not even naming them except when cursing or when afraid or when relating stories.
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »

Got any examples? Just curious. :)
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭
    Lynnessa wrote: »
    From what I've gathered, they try to avoid them altogether, not even naming them except when cursing or when afraid or when relating stories.

Haha, that does sound like them :D
  • Yggdrasil_Gof
    Yggdrasil_Gof
    ✭✭✭
    In Skyrim I thought the worshiped the 9 divines. This was partly why the civil war took place, apart from Ulfric wanting to end imperial rule over Skyrim, plus being a racist *** against anyone not a Nord. The high elves had a agreement with the empire banning the worship of Talos, their living god. They claimed Talos born as a living being had no right being a divine, thus ending generations of worship of their god king. I believe the 8, and all other gods in the world are Daedra, or Aedra apart from Talos. Some are just more benevolent than others.
    Also many of the gods have more than one name, as in Kyne and Kynarith are the same god. On top of that, (just like real religion), their are, contradictions, different interpretations, and versions of some of the stories and facts pertaining to individual gods. many have a good and a bad side, so for some they are gods, and to others the same god is a demon. Maybe finding out about the 9 divines, Aedra and Daedra, particularly Talos might be a good start. I've got an app on my phone, Collectors Logbook: Skyrim. Apart from listing weapons, plants etc. allowing you to log what you have found, if you are connected to the net you can read all the books too, which is a massive source of Tamriel lore. It's a free unofficial app, and you might have to tag a book to say you found it to read it, (can't remember, sorry). If you're prepared to sort through the books you'll probably find a lot of info there, plus a lot of other interesting lore.

Hope this helps, and anyone is free to correct me, I'm sure my info isn't totally correct.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually @Yggdrasil_Gof Talos doesn't exist yet. ESO is set during the Interregnum, the time period between true Emperors when the Empire fragmented. The man who would later become Talos is the man who put an end to the Interregnum and united Tamriel into the Empire again.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nirnrot
    Nirnrot
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Actually @Yggdrasil_Gof Talos doesn't exist yet. ESO is set during the Interregnum, the time period between true Emperors when the Empire fragmented. The man who would later become Talos is the man who put an end to the Interregnum and united Tamriel into the Empire again.

How awesome would it be to help Talos become emperor in a far off DLC?! That's how they choose to conclude the game or something. Highly unlikely since the alliance war is basically what makes ESO work at its core.
  • Yggdrasil_Gof
    Yggdrasil_Gof
    ✭✭✭
    @UrQuan

Thanks for clearing that up, I guessed that might be the case. I thought it might have still been a good place to start and then work backwards from. As I said I know some lore, but I'm far from a 100%. That's a nice little bit of info to put things into context. Hope I got most of the rest of it correct.

@Nirnrot

It would make a good DLC, but What would be just as good would be a whole separate offline game where you help Talos reunite the empire. The problem with having it a an ESO DLC would mean PvP would be meaningless as the war you are fighting would technically be over on completing the DLC. Plus as UrQuan said It's sometime in the future from when this game is set. By keeping it separate one story wouldn't have to damage the other. If you had it as a DLC it would be like playing a WWII game with a DLC were you kill Hit'ler and the war is over, it wouldn't quite feel right going back and fighting WWII in PvP knowing you had killed Hit'ler, and ended the war.
    (I know Hit'ler isn't spelled that way, but they blanked it).
    It's only my opinion of course, but by having as an offline game, you can have a proper conclusion and end to battle like the Skyrim civil war side story. Either way a Talos based storyline would be good.
    Edited by Yggdrasil_Gof on October 31, 2015 11:21PM
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, and can't imagine, any Tamrielic examples.

In Grecko/Roman pantheon, seafarers would make offerings to Poseidon/Neptune before an ocean voyage in the hopes of warding off storms.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, and can't imagine, any Tamrielic examples.

In Grecko/Roman pantheon, seafarers would make offerings to Poseidon/Neptune before an ocean voyage in the hopes of warding off storms.

Thats alright, I was only wondering bc I couldn't remember any examples myself. Thanks!
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

the nords don't even revere alduin as a god to worship either its like malacath and mora are technically enemy of the nords and all races.

I might be butchering this up but imma try it, I think it was ysgramor? who was hunting and was having a hard time tracking his prey I think he said to himself he wished he could hear his prey easier, a rabbit came along this was hermaus mora was watching his every step and he started to grow ears like an elf (change) shortly after this started a fox came along and killed the rabbit this fox was lorkhan or lorkhans will. I might have that story messed up or a name not in the right spot but nords only acknowledge a few daedric princes and consider others not their enemies although dagon and molag bal are enemies of all mortals and nords know this, I seen in skyrim a lore book taking this into account.
    the nords worship and favor kyne their true one god over the other divines.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE