Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Staff attack damage, magicka or stamina?

KoooZ
KoooZ
✭✭
Not destruction staff skills, but the normal and heavy attacks. Does magicka or stamina increase that damage? I'm going with a fire theme and Ive been told contradicting answers to this.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the light and heavy attacks are stamina based, and increasing stamina will increase the damage they do. Staff skill, of course, are magicka based.

I wouldn't put skill points into stamina just for the light and heavy attacks, though. Stamina goes up a little as you level anyway, and you can always increase it with armor/weapon traits. Magicka will be your bread and butter and I would focus on that until you hit the soft cap.

Edited by TicToc on May 4, 2014 1:21AM
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Same with restoration staff?
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    TicToc wrote: »
    Yes, the light and heavy attacks are stamina based, and increasing stamina will increase the damage they do. Staff skill, of course, are magicka based.
    His question is, are light and heavy attacks from a staff, stamina based or magicka? Your answer was...

yes.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on May 4, 2014 3:54AM
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard for launch they changed it to be all magica, but haven't really looked that deep into it.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    His question is, are light and heavy attacks from a staff, stamina based or magicka? Your answer was...

yes.

LOL Well, I guess while I was responding I had it in my head that he asked if it was stamina based.

I did, however, elaborate beyond the "yes", to confirm they are stamina based. :p

I don't think that the effect that it has on basic attacks is enough to base a build around. Build around your skills. The basic attacks are just filler damage. They will never be massive. Don't waste points hoping they will be. Though you will still need stamina for dodging, blocking, sneaking, and sprinting, so more always helps, but focus on your primary stats first...in this case magicka.
    Shimond wrote: »
    I heard for launch they changed it to be all magica, but haven't really looked that deep into it.

The in depth confirmation testing was done at the end of beta, but I have not seen anything that contradicts that, post launch. And I do remember the devs, in interviews, pointing out that the basic attacks, from ALL weapons, were based off of stamina.

Edited by TicToc on May 4, 2014 7:47AM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weapon Damage is the answer you are lookin for, forget the rest