The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Question about Nirnhoned researching.

Beruge
Beruge
✭✭✭
Hello,

I would like to know what the critera is for learning the Nirnhoned trait.

When i have checked the guild stores some Nirnhoned items just show the stats, while others write something like: You can learn Nirnhoned trait from this item.

So i was wondering if the item has to be a special quality or something to be researched basically.

Would be good to know so i dont throw my gold out the window.

Thanks in advance
My youtube channel: Beruge Casualgaming
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can research Nirnhoned just like any other trait. You can only "find" one and its the reward for the last quest in upper craglorn. All others must be bought or traded for.

Currently Nirnhoned is really only good for getting the 9th trait or on weapons. It works on armor, but most people don't use it anymore since the giant nerf.

Hope this helps
  • 85flyingbrick_ESO
    85flyingbrick_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Any armor, weapon, or shield with the nirn trait can be researched. Not sure what's up with the text discrepancy you described but itemp can be researched like any other.
    PC/NA

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can research Nirnhoned just like any other trait. You can only "find" one and its the reward for the last quest in upper craglorn. All others must be bought or traded for.

Currently Nirnhoned is really only good for getting the 9th trait or on weapons. It works on armor, but most people don't use it anymore since the giant nerf.

Hope this helps

Let's be clear....it was never supposed to give giant amounts of resistance. That was a bug. So it wasn't a nerf when it was finally made to work as it had been originally intended.. Other than that, the post is accurate. :)
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

Hope this helps

Let's be clear....it was never supposed to give giant amounts of resistance. That was a bug. So it wasn't a nerf when it was finally made to work as it had been originally intended.. Other than that, the post is accurate. :)

Maybe, but it was in place and widely known for what? A year or so? After being in place for that long and changing it's effectiveness I'll call it a nerf.

To be fair it was OP, intended or not.
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    The one that says it's for research is the quest reward piece. The other, normal ones, are crafted.
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • Beruge
    Beruge
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks everyone. This answered all of my questions.
    My youtube channel: Beruge Casualgaming
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I doubt that the old benefits of Nirnhoned gear were unintentional. It was an incentive to go through the quest line and get nirnhoned gear out there. A reward for early adopters, giving it some value. Now that it's ubiquitous, that incentive is no longer warranted.
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The one that says it's for research is the quest reward piece. The other, normal ones, are crafted.
    Can you learn traits from gear that other people crafted?
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Yes, as with all traits. Nirn works just like them, just limited availability.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Yes, as with all traits. Nirn works just like them, just limited availability.
    That's good though that crafters who already have the trait can help make it more available.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hope this helps

Like, i've seen that said before.

But why make a trait which is actually not as good as reinforced, be such a rarity? One item at end of craglorn questline, crux hard to get.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Unless it's just making a 9th trait hard to get.
  • TiberX
    TiberX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nirn on armor has a single purpose now: research
    The weapon nirn trait is still powerful, best IMO.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh, I still put it in destro staffs and 1h swords for magica builds.

Sharpened for everything else except resto, which I go precise.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Hope this helps

Like, i've seen that said before.

But why make a trait which is actually not as good as reinforced, be such a rarity? One item at end of craglorn questline, crux hard to get.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Unless it's just making a 9th trait hard to get.

We didn't know it, but that was the first clue that crafting would become the grind it is becoming. Nirn was rare, Dwemer introduced motif chapters, IC introduced double-RNG on motif chapters and rare mats along with high mat requirements. Orsinium will continue the motif RNG, and add RNG to mat farming. Nirn was the handwriting on the wall.
    PC/NA/DC
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ugh.. the Nirn trait is the last trait i have to learn for blacksmithing/clothing/wood. I am soo broke. Today alone I sent my crafter mats to craft me 5 items. My cost was around 73,000g

Edited by vamp_emily on October 29, 2015 6:28PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    ugh.. the Nirn trait is the last trait i have to learn for blacksmithing/clothing/wood. I am soo broke. Today alone I sent my crafter mats to craft me 5 items. My cost was round 73,000g

That's me :p . I'll send your last two items out later this morning. I spent around 300k to learn the traits. Looks like that will be cheap compared to learning the new motifs :'( .
    PC/NA/DC
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ugh.. the Nirn trait is the last trait i have to learn for blacksmithing/clothing/wood. I am soo broke. Today alone I sent my crafter mats to craft me 5 items. My cost was round 73,000g

That's me :p . I'll send your last two items out later this morning. I spent around 300k to learn the traits. Looks like that will be cheap compared to learning the new motifs :'( .

[ smiles ]

I really appreciate your help.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh.. the Nirn trait is the last trait i have to learn for blacksmithing/clothing/wood. I am soo broke. Today alone I sent my crafter mats to craft me 5 items. My cost was around 73,000g

I had the same problem, but I work as a crafter for a guild. I have a policy where I do not charge guild members for creating their gear-- with the only requirement being they provide everything needed to forge their wears. When I ask, I can get the research I need because I do not charge them fees. You should try this approach then pulling the coin from your wallet.

Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on October 30, 2015 3:22PM