Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

HOW TO SOLVE THE ZERG PROBLEM - MY IDEA FOR ZOS

altemriel
altemriel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
As far as I understand this issue, there are two problems with encountering a Zerg (a huge group of enemy players in PVP):

- no way to escape
- AOE

- MY PROPOSED SOLUTION: I am thinking how to solve that....maybe there can be a buff for the player, when running away in the direction of a zerg, there can be a movement speed increase, that would increase the escape possibility. Something like "panic movement speed increase". It can be even 50 % speed increase, an adrenaline rush, for a short period of time, just to enable the player to escape. I think that could solve the first problem.
Of course it has to include that, that it could not be misused (for attack and run away, attack and run away multiple times) - this could be done by implementing a rule into the "panic movement speed increase", that the increase rate would rapidly decrease with every next use on the same group within a certain time frame.

- And the AOE cap, or some possility for one player to kill the whole zerg swarm, I totally dont like that idea. if nothing than even from a logical reason, that would not be good, it is just not possible for one person to kill such a large group.
And implementing some penalties for large groups agains one player depending on the size of the group (as some people proposed here), that would also not be ok in my opinion. The advantage of a bigger group should stay as it is.

When two opponent groups meet, the only deciding factor for who wins the fight should be their skills and co-ordination. There should be no other factor to decide.
Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 9:00AM
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How should that solve the problem? The only thing you would get from it is being able to run away from a zerg. Nothing else.
    And no, removal of aoe caps will not make it possible for a single player to kill a zerg. It will just take away one incencitive to turtle up on the crown. Aoe caps and the mitigation big groups gain from it are completely stupid and there is not a single legit reason for having this perk.
    And yes, punishment for grouping up would be as stupid as aoe caps are.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    How should that solve the problem? The only thing you would get from it is being able to run away from a zerg. Nothing else.
    And no, removal of aoe caps will not make it possible for a single player to kill a zerg. It will just take away one incencitive to turtle up on the crown. Aoe caps and the mitigation big groups gain from it are completely stupid and there is not a single legit reason for having this perk.

well the "panic movement speed increase" would solve the problem of not being able to escape. That is it.
    What else do you want to solve/change? It is a large scale conflict, so there should be no other possility to kill a zerg, than bringing together a larger and/or more skilled / more co-ordinated group that would be able to kill the zerg.

It is a huge civil war going on, so there are huge groups fighting each other, that should stay as it is in my opinion.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

well the "panic movement speed increase" would solve the problem of not being able to escape. That is it.
    What else do you want to solve/change? It is a large scale conflict, so there should be no other possility to kill a zerg, than bringing together a larger and/or more skilled / more co-ordinated group that would be able to kill the zerg.

It is a huge civil war going on, so there are huge groups fighting each other, that should stay as it is in my opinion.

Large scale would be fine if it wasn't for the stacking up like crazy because of the aoe caps. Can you explain to me why it is reasonable to have aoe caps with huge mitigationvalues in place?
    And the problem we have with large scale is that the servers can't handle it. That's all. This game was advertised as large scale but can not handle it. So let's not promote the ridiculous +48 man raids even more. Plainly stupid.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • prootch
    prootch
    ✭✭✭
    You want to depack multi warband stacks ?
    Just make packing mechanically less interesting:

- decrease aoe damage compared to mono target

- suppress aoe exec (steel tornadoe) and reduce it's radius down to the pulsar radius (6m):
    -all huge groups are now stacking stell tornadoes and lagging as hell.

- increase zone cc efficiency so that packing will be very dangerous for very huge groups (multi warbands): progressive zone negates according to numbers, large zone mezz/snare, large zone immobilize, ect... anything that enables you to cut into multi warbands chunck by chunck while the other bunch is slowed down. By the way, some of these do exists and are used efficiently against large groups (see banana squad vids).

Lag is a pb, large groups are not.
    One of the major lag factors being aoe spam stacking atm.
    The priority should be to decrease aoe spam stacking therefore to limit lag stacking... not to limit ava population in fights.
    This is a mass battle game.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Large scale would be fine if it wasn't for the stacking up like crazy because of the aoe caps. Can you explain to me why it is reasonable to have aoe caps with huge mitigationvalues in place?
    And the problem we have with large scale is that the servers can't handle it. That's all. This game was advertised as large scale but can not handle it. So let's not promote the ridiculous +48 man raids even more. Plainly stupid.

you probably did not get what I said, or maybe I did not express me clearly enough, or maybe I misunderstood what is meant with "AoE cap".

So first do I understand it right, that with "AoE cap" you mean "implementation of limitation of a skill (a spell for example) - for example how high can be the damage it does?"

If I am correct with the meaning, then:

I do NOT agree, that AoE should be limited. Not at all.I would be even for that, that for a group, the AoEs of each player could be even combined to create new effects.

Well, if there is a server problem, we should address that and not address the zerging as itself as a problem.
    Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 9:31AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    prootch wrote: »
    You want to depack multi warband stacks ?
    Just make packing mechanically less interesting:

- decrease aoe damage compared to mono target

- suppress aoe exec (steel tornadoe) and reduce it's radius down to the pulsar radius (6m):
    -all huge groups are now stacking stell tornadoes and lagging as hell.

- increase zone cc efficiency so that packing will be very dangerous for very huge groups (multi warbands): progressive zone negates according to numbers, large zone mezz/snare, large zone immobilize, ect... anything that enables you to cut into multi warbands chunck by chunck while the other bunch is slowed down. By the way, some of these do exists and are used efficiently against large groups (see banana squad vids).

Lag is a pb, large groups are not.
    One of the major lag factors being aoe spam stacking atm.
    The priority should be to decrease aoe spam stacking therefore to limit lag stacking... not to limit ava population in fights.
    This is a mass battle game.

I see it so, that the only problem is the server lagging. All other stuff can stay as it is. So we should address that an not its results.

any changes to fight mechanics between large groups vs smaller groups would be illogical (implementing advantages for smaller group vs larger groups)

• Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

you probably did not get what I said, or maybe I did not express me clearly enough, or maybe I misunderstood what is meant with "AoE cap".

So first do I understand it right, that with "AoE cap" you mean "implementation of limitation of a skill (a spell for example) - for example how high can be the damage it does?"

I do not agree, that AoE should be limited. Not at all.I would be even for that, that for a group, the AoEs of each player could be even combined to create new effects.

Well, if there is a server problem, we should address that and not address the zerging as itself as a problem.

Aoe cap means that an aoe skill is going to hit the nearest 6 targets for it's full power and then the damage of the skill for the next x targets will be decreased by x %. There is no reason for this mitigation (which is btw huge). A stupid idea which has been damned by the majority of the players but ZoS does not care.

Here is the thing. Aoe caps are causing huge calculations for the servers, which then causes lag. If you have 40 players sitting on each other spamming aoe abilities, the servers have to calculate all the positions of enemies etc. And at some point, the server can not handle it anymore. That's why the zergs are a big part of the problem.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I do not agree, that AoE should be limited. Not at all.I would be even for that, that for a group, the AoEs of each player could be even combined to create new effects.

Aoe cap means that an aoe skill is going to hit the nearest 6 targets for it's full power and then the damage of the skill for the next x targets will be decreased by x %. There is no reason for this mitigation (which is btw huge). A stupid idea which has been damned by the majority of the players but ZoS does not care.

Here is the thing. Aoe caps are causing huge calculations for the servers, which then causes lag. If you have 40 players sitting on each other spamming aoe abilities, the servers have to calculate all the positions of enemies etc. And at some point, the server can not handle it anymore. That's why the zergs are a big part of the problem.

aha, ok, I understand now fully what is meant by that, thanks for the explanation.

well, yes, I agree with you that it is non-sense (for the fight system in itself and from the logical point of view too) . And for the server load too.

What was the reason why ZOS implemented the AoE cap? I can not see any point in that.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

aha, ok, I understand now fully what is meant by that, thanks for the explanation.

well, yes, I agree with you that it is non-sense (for the fight system in itself and from the logical point of view too) . And for the server load too.

What was the reason why ZOS implemented the AoE cap? I can not see any point in that.

No idea why they did it. I stopped playing before they implemented it and started playing again when it was already in place. So I kinda missed the discussions about it back then. And ye, no one can really see a point except of promoting stacking up as tight as possible.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • prootch
    prootch
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you probably forgot that aoe cap has been implemented - after - release, at a time when full warbands (and sometimes multiple warbands from some well known guilds) where stacking 12m radius non damage caped pulsars and zone heal + non damage caped batswarm within 10 sq meters stack, lagging as hell all the way.

aoe decap would be an incentive to pack more... that means more warbands stacking at the same place to outdamage ennemy warbands... which means more lag.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    prootch wrote: »
    Some of you probably forgot that aoe cap has been implemented - after - release, at a time when full warbands (and sometimes multiple warbands from some well known guilds) where stacking 12m radius non damage caped pulsars and zone heal + non damage caped batswarm within 10 sq meters stack, lagging as hell all the way.

aoe decap would be an incentive to pack more... that means more warbands stacking at the same place to outdamage ennemy warbands... which means more lag.

Well I am not sure, I am not very good at math, but I guess that the server load done by calculating the AoE caps is much higher than the load that would be caused by multiple groups fighting. Or maybe the same. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    That seems to me like ZOS has implemented a "solution" for the lag problem, which causes only the same lag rate, or even more :). Like seriously WTH :smiley: ?

When the server load, lagging is the problem, why not increase the servers?? Is there a financial problem for ZOS to increase the server capacity? I doubt that, because of the number of copies of the game sold.
    So what is the reason then?
    Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 10:01AM
  • prootch
    prootch
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about server calculation details, and people here are mostly just guessing about it also since they don't have access to server data. When you decap damage, you also have a lot more targets hits, so a lot more damage calculation ongoing for a while. Following the same logic, limiting the number of actual hits means less damage calculation ongoing. Anyway, this is a speculation on which we have no statistical data, so we better concentrate on which skill organization could reduce aoe spam stacking.

Experience of this game since release shows a few facts:

- aoe lag was huge at the time aoe damage was actually not caped and some guilds where stacking sometimes several full aoe warbands to outdamage any other group coming by. In other words, this music has already been played even if some forgot it (or play as if...) and did nothing to decrease lag. I guess we still can easily find some vids of these situations.

- The fantasm of some that the lag would instantly disappear once the pugs stacks "instant die" is delusional : zos does not want instant "headshot" death style. So they are not likely to want instant multi warband death... it's simple to get: it's fun for no one to get instant aoe killed (even if it's almost already the case with ultimates, but you don't really lag spam ultimates). So I doubt they would go back this way, while damage and shield reduction in cyrodiil has been implemented just to avoid that (considering actual attributes decap).

- Organized aoe warbands can stay in ball for a while and sustend heavy aoe damage through mass aoe healing and... are causing major lag atm. And each time two of these balls colide, the lag explodes for anyone around. Including people a keep away on the map. The pb seems to be mainly there, not with the pugs groups spreading everywhere on the battlefield.

- The highest lag situation take place on non contested keeps fights, when players still can respawn/rez almost immediatly. Some factions stack dozens of players at the same place (last emperor keep for example). It's logic for the 3 factions to come after this keep. And In the end, sadly, the fight atm is won only by the biggest aoe spammers in a limited fighting space.

- Around oct-dec 2014 we had huge warbands fights and low lag. Higher population and enormous keep fights lasting for hours... 1.6 changed that for worse, by the way introducing steel tornadoe aoe execute that most aoe warband began to stack and spam. Due to 12m aoe radius and systematic spam, this appears to be a major lag cause.

In the end aoe damage decap is an incentive to pack more and spam aoe, which we see now causes major lag : you can fight 50 unpacked people without lag, but only one steel tornadoe + aoe spam group and the lag roars immediatly.
  • Dakrana_Thrazvoth
    Dakrana_Thrazvoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing will stop peoples to zerg. This is a natural behaviour of humans to join others and stay in large groups in majority. And modify game mechanics as you say wont change something, and sounds like an punishment for solo players and small groups.
    In first a lot of peoples should try something else than runing in very big random groups and always fight in the same place in cyrodiil. (chalman gate, and between alessia and faregyl for example)
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I understand this issue, there are two problems with encountering a Zerg (a huge group of enemy players in PVP):

- no way to escape
    - AOE

- MY PROPOSED SOLUTION: I am thinking how to solve that....maybe there can be a buff for the player, when running away in the direction of a zerg, there can be a movement speed increase, that would increase the escape possibility. Something like "panic movement speed increase". It can be even 50 % speed increase, an adrenaline rush, for a short period of time, just to enable the player to escape. I think that could solve the first problem.
    Of course it has to include that, that it could not be misused (for attack and run away, attack and run away multiple times) - this could be done by implementing a rule into the "panic movement speed increase", that the increase rate would rapidly decrease with every next use on the same group within a certain time frame.

- And the AOE cap, or some possility for one player to kill the whole zerg swarm, I totally dont like that idea. if nothing than even from a logical reason, that would not be good, it is just not possible for one person to kill such a large group.
    And implementing some penalties for large groups agains one player depending on the size of the group (as some people proposed here), that would also not be ok in my opinion. The advantage of a bigger group should stay as it is.

When two opponent groups meet, the only deciding factor for who wins the fight should be their skills and co-ordination. There should be no other factor to decide.

No.
  • Xelophobe
    Xelophobe
    ✭✭
    What zerg problem? Sounds like a L2P issue.
    AD characters
    Xelophobe the Wise- V16 Sorc
    Xelophobe the Mighty- V5 DK
    Xelophobe the Kitty- V1 NB
    DC character
    Xelophobe the Smurf- V3 Templar
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    what is the meaning of "L2P"? I have no idea what you mean, explain that abbreviation pls
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    is L2P? learn to play?
    however I hate hearing about zerging in ESO and I hate seeing complaints about this computer term zerging, on the forums. do people not realize there is 3 alliances vying for control with massive legions of men/mer trying to capture the ruby throne?
    when I see big groups of players all I think is- this is the way this game is meant to be played.
    when we see big groups we see people partaking in game lore the way it was meant to be played out!
    I want to a lot of players I want to see a lot of siege weapons.

fight big groups with big groups.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    see

NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    is L2P? learn to play?
    however I hate hearing about zerging in ESO and I hate seeing complaints about this computer term zerging, on the forums. do people not realize there is 3 alliances vying for control with massive legions of men/mer trying to capture the ruby throne?
    when I see big groups of players all I think is- this is the way this game is meant to be played.
    when we see big groups we see people partaking in game lore the way it was meant to be played out!
    I want to a lot of players I want to see a lot of siege weapons.

fight big groups with big groups.

yes exactly dude!!

we should remember this video, lets see it as the perfect depiction of what it should look in there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuHWWC9xxmk

I vote for spellcrafting!!! if lagging is the problem because of new features implemented, what would be the right solution???
    Not really restricting the already existing functionalities. Giving them to people and then partially taking them back from them. The real and true solution would be the true reaction to the need of the people, which is the server speed and capacity and code stability. If the servers would be able to take bigger loads, much much bigger loads than now, this game would be game the game of the century! where the most people experience the most exciting adventures in their lives!!
    Spellcrafting could make the AoE explode into all new posibilities of magic. Do not think even about AoE, the battlefields would become the cracking fields of magic and weapons!!! Think about that hot elven girl from that trailer, how she fried the whole battlefield around that keep with her chained lightning!! that should be the true result of spellcrafting. master mages would be unstoppable almost godly beings, just like master fighters!! open the world of ESO, open it more @ZOS

LETS RETURN IC AND CYRODIIL TO ITS FORMER GLORY OF LAG FREE MASS FIGHTS LIKE AT THE BEGINNING!!
    Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 6:55PM
  • AmmonErebos
    AmmonErebos
    ✭✭✭
    Something like "panic movement speed increase". It can be even 50 % speed increase, an adrenaline rush, for a short period of time, just to enable the player to escape. I think that could solve the first problem.

This is called "retreating manoeuvres" a morph of rapid manoeuvres... allows u speed boost running away and reduces snares on you... and doesn't vanish when you are hit (only when you target something and attack them)..

so you are half suggesting content that the game already has?
    Edited by AmmonErebos on October 27, 2015 6:58PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something like "panic movement speed increase". It can be even 50 % speed increase, an adrenaline rush, for a short period of time, just to enable the player to escape. I think that could solve the first problem.

This is called "retreating manoeuvres" a morph of rapid manoeuvres... allows u speed boost running away and reduces snares on you... and doesn't vanish when you are hit (only when you target something and attack them)..

so you are half suggesting content that the game already has?

well yes, actually you are right partially, but how much speed increase does it provide? 40%, and that could not be enough, maybe, this skill should be increased for this possibility!!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    you know what, it is not fair, when not even mean, that I have bought a DLC, that has supposed to open me the access to IC, there was no decided information, if the gates will be open for all or open restricted, just said, they are going to test it out and now it should be restricted? No, I have bought the DLC to have full time access to what I have bought!

I like to do mostly PVE, but sometimes I have lust to go to PVP, but I can not go to IC, because my campaign is not winning there, wth??
    I am just newly first time a member of a guild, I mostly solo, my friends here are just strangers met in the game, which characters I liked, they are not my real friends. I know some people that play the game, but none of them for my faction.
    So now what, do I have to forcefully PVP in Cyrodiil until I finally get to IC, then play few hours there, wanna play more there, but get kicked out of IC, because my faction is loosing the keeps? That is utter non-sense!!

I strongly disagree with the restriction!

Maybe the ZOS could leave it to the players to decide for themselves, just set a button switch in the game setting menu for people to turn the restricted access on or off how they like it!! that would be the most fairest version of this I would say.

@ZOS
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point in giving people new skills and stuff and then realizing that the servers can not hold that load, so the "solution" would be to nerf the skills? they make people like the game more, by giving them more oportunities to play and then they nerf those oportunities, make them upset and leave the game?
    they should increase the servers capacity!!! that would be the proper solution. then they could expand AoE (spellcrafting) infinitelly!!! also fighter skills and other skills!!!
    It is an inevitable step anyway!! so why not to solve the root of the problem now, not later!!!
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    There is a skill that is supposed to counter zergs: Inevitable detonation. Buff this skill until it counters zergs. Done.

It's already pretty easy to avoid tornado blobs. Killing them is difficult, but avoiding is easy. The problem is that you can't win wars by avoiding, so tornado blobs reign supreme currently.