Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting levels lost?

winterbornb14_ESO
winterbornb14_ESO
✭✭✭
Hello has this happened to anyone else.

My Wife's crafter has lost 2 levels in Blacksmithing twice so far in the last month!
We got her alt to Vr1 and ground out the last few levels of blacksmithing to lvl 50, and after 2 days she logged in to find it at lvl 48? So she ground it back to lvl 50 again figuring that a rollback must have happened only to find out that she is now back at lvl 48 as of yesterday?

WTF?

Yes bug reports are in but has this happened to anyone else and why is it only blacksmithing that gets lost. She ground up Woodworking at the same time and it stuck at lvl 50.

This time we are taking screenshots of everything just in case it happens a third time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure, your not logging into the PTS Server are you? They just did some character copies and weird things like this show up due to the lag between when they take a snapshot of the Live Characters and do the copy
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• winterbornb14_ESO
    winterbornb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No we have never logged into the test server but thanks for the advice.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer, hoping that was it. I have heard of this on the boards happening a few times, but not consistently. Who knows why it happens. Its not like you can grind from 48 to 50 in between times the game takes a snapshot of your save file and sends it up to the server.

One thing that might be insurance for this is if the game is telling that it will quit in 10 seconds or you can force quit now, wait the 10 seconds. This is for sure a time that the game is copying your character file. Note, if you save in a city you don't see this.

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had skill rollbacks like this before, not with crafting however. Mine were usually when maxing out a weapon or class skill. I'd be running around a vet zone and get 5-10 "Such-and-such skill went up to 50" messages in an hour as the skill hit 50 and then dropped back to 49.9ish.

I've heard this can happen if the client's skill counter desyncs from the one on the server, but it seems weird that is would happen to you two days later.
    Nestor wrote: »

Bummer, hoping that was it. I have heard of this on the boards happening a few times, but not consistently. Who knows why it happens. Its not like you can grind from 48 to 50 in between times the game takes a snapshot of your save file and sends it up to the server.

One thing that might be insurance for this is if the game is telling that it will quit in 10 seconds or you can force quit now, wait the 10 seconds. This is for sure a time that the game is copying your character file. Note, if you save in a city you don't see this.

It's almost certain that character state is completely server-side, I can't imagine the hacks you could do if things like xp were stored on the client side and periodically uploaded to the server.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

It's almost certain that character state is completely server-side, I can't imagine the hacks you could do if things like xp were stored on the client side and periodically uploaded to the server.

More than likely character stats are kept server side, as you say, too easy to hack otherwise. But it has to be kept somewhere until the server sync. But I doubt two levels worth would be.

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    wayfarerx wrote: »

More than likely character stats are kept server side, as you say, too easy to hack otherwise. But it has to be kept somewhere until the server sync. But I doubt two levels worth would be.

My impression is that the "server sync" happens as the actions take place in real-time. I've been at the crafting table when my connection is lagging and it will cause crafting actions to individually lag as well. This makes it seem like the workflow is: client tells server "hey I crafted a steel sword", server checks it out and says back "okay, you have the mats, here's your sword and some IP." If I was writing the code I'd see no reason to resync the server's data with what the client had, maybe just send the baseline back to the client every so often.

(Disclaimer: I write client/server software for a living, but not games).
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion