The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

IF SERVER LAGGING IN PVP IS A PROBLEM, WHY WE ARE NOT DIRECTLY ADDRESSING THAT AND INSTEAD OF IT....

altemriel
altemriel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
(no need to reply to this post, I just wanted to highlight it for ZOS more)

IF SERVER LAGGING IN PVP IS A PROBLEM, WHY WE ARE NOT DIRECTLY ADDRESSING THAT AND INSTEAD OF IT WE ARE ADDRESSING ZERGING?

IF SERVER LAGGING IS A PROBLEM, WHY WERE AoE CAPS IMPLEMENTED WHEN IT ONLY MAKES THE SERVERS LAG MORE (BECAUSE OF THE CAPS CALCULATIONS)?

Well I am not sure, I am not very good at math, but I guess that the server load done by calculating the AoE caps is much higher than the load that would be caused by multiple groups fighting. Or maybe the same. I might be wrong of course.
That seems to me like ZOS has implemented a "solution" for the lag problem, which causes only the same lag rate, or even more :). Like seriously WTH :smiley: ?

When the server load, lagging is the problem, why not increase the servers capacity?? Is there a financial problem for ZOS to increase the server capacity? I doubt that, because of the number of copies of the game sold.

It seems to me like a "solution" for a problem, which was totally not solving the problem, but instead making it even a bigger or the same problem - the servers are still lagging and the fight mechanics is if not damaged, then completelly illogical.
Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 10:04AM
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think any player is capable of telling which action adds more load on the servers. We have no clue what their code architecture looks like, and how certain calculations are made.

The only thing we can do as players is identify what situations cause lag in game (ball groups) and how can we change the gameplay to alleviate those situations without having the deal with calculations or whatever.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    I don't think any player is capable of telling which action adds more load on the servers. We have no clue what their code architecture looks like, and how certain calculations are made.

The only thing we can do as players is identify what situations cause lag in game (ball groups) and how can we change the gameplay to alleviate those situations without having the deal with calculations or whatever.

well yes, but ZOS should do the research, because in case that the reason for lagging is the lacking server capacity, they should correct that and not implement some changes into game mechanics etc, that damage the game.

Before implementing the AoE cap - did they state that they did this research and they have made an analysis?
    Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 10:30AM
  • MountainHound
    MountainHound
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard from a source that the lag occurs from AoE as people use to manipulate the code to do more damage than what they should which led to Zos putting in an anti cheat system.

So now imagine, 24 vs 24 in a keep.
    48 ultimates going off with initial damage + dot damage
    48 people healing / damaging at the same time

All of the data above, due to some players hacking the code, now has to go through something that checks the coding is "legit" before the damage takes place.

This is why there is lag. O this also doesn't account for people abusing macros that tries to inflict this damage 10x faster that what they're suppose too.

Zos should, if need be go back to basics and remove all spells/abilities and have us light attack. Then slowly reintroduce more abilities.
    Edited by MountainHound on October 27, 2015 11:45AM
  • eldermpsmithrwb17_ESO
    A while back they made changes to some of the AOE animations to directly treat the cause of the lag, it helped but seems to be a systemic issue.

ESO is a big game both in file size and graphical load, i know living in Australia our internet connection is some of the worst in the world which adds to the issue.

IMO it's a balancing act between wanting a pretty game and smooth gameplay, and when you add internet load it's a hard one to pull off. Just look at the problems that any online PC shooter has.
    Selcouth Nexus V16 Templar Magika Healer/Dps
    Mrs Schadenfreude V16 Magika Sorc Dps/off heals
    Malevolent Lust v16 DK Stam Dps/tank
    Mephala's Rage v16 NB Magika Dps
    Lara Nipplestorm v16 DK Magika DPS
  • prootch
    prootch
    ✭✭✭
    ball aoe spamming causes lag, anyone with minimal warband fight experienced it.
    aod decap has already been implemented, with lag issues all the way, so there is really no proof at all it would solve lag pb, even if it certainly satisfies the ego of some organized aoe spamball roxors who would like to revert to the initial situtation where they could lagkill 100 pugs. But now that most organized groups aoe spam, it justs results in lag fest all the way.

add cc to make depack more profitable than aoe balls and the gameplay will change accordingly... except if you want to turn this game into another gw2 "aoe balls win" clone.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes having a cheap computer will cause your gaming experience to go down hill. I have a not so cheap macbookpro with the video card that came with it and an i7 chip; fairly new and games would lag big time. But put the same game on my gaming computer and no lag 90 percent of the time.

It's not always the server that is having issues.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Beesting
    Beesting
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did notice a lot less people use meteor now (maybe because they figured out it is so easy to reflect or cloak even (lol)

Before IC it used to be normal to arrive to defend a keep and not being able to interact with the postern doors and hearing like 60 meteors going off for minutes inside on the flags

I Also remember not being able to do any damage to Karisha's party as he walked a scroll past 5 of our keeps because it was impossible to use any skills at all...

These days i can still swap my bars and use skills, still do and take damage, so i think the worst lag issues are over

Even ferocious leap works again, before i used to run around with wings for minutes if i tried to use it

Tldr: it is better than 3 months ago
    Beesting, Bosmer Magica DK, AD EU, crafter
    Slager, Dunmer Magica DK, DC EU, pvp
    Farmer, Dunmer Magica DK, AD EU, trials build

Every major patch looks like the end of the world but somehow i just cannot stop playing.
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We may not know the architecture but we know the results. The lighting patch and the AoE cap were the big hits to performance. Come on man you were there too.
    :smiley:
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latency/server lag hasn't been a problem this patch. From what I've seen it's gone. FPS lag has become a problem though.

edit - out here in AS now. I was wrong... Latency and FPS lag...
    Edited by TheBull on October 28, 2015 12:39AM
  • Iyas
    Iyas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    Latency/server lag hasn't been a problem this patch. From what I've seen it's gone. FPS lag has become a problem though.

So i guess youre not playing on azura (eu, pc) ?
    Noricum/ Kitesquad/ PC/EU

Kitesquad Vol. 1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tGxK9KRrEI
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Sometimes having a cheap computer will cause your gaming experience to go down hill. I have a not so cheap macbookpro with the video card that came with it and an i7 chip; fairly new and games would lag big time. But put the same game on my gaming computer and no lag 90 percent of the time.

It's not always the server that is having issues.

Those are fps drops you are experiencing, not lag.
    Darnathian wrote: »

We may not know the architecture but we know the results. The lighting patch and the AoE cap were the big hits to performance. Come on man you were there too.
    :smiley:
    Exactly we know the results, but the lighting patch mostly introduced terrible framerates, lag was present before that (if I remember correctly). After that patch you would sometimes drop to 5 fps andbe forced to relaunch the game, only to drop back down a few minutes later.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iyas wrote: »
    TheBull wrote: »

So i guess youre not playing on azura (eu, pc) ?

Both FPS lag and server lag are both issues....its about par for the course right now..when these ball groups get together they bog the server down and latency goes out the window and FPS issue follow.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    you know what, it is not fair, when not even mean, that I have bought a DLC, that has supposed to open me the access to IC, there was no decided information, if the gates will be open for all or open restricted, just said, they are going to test it out and now it should be restricted? No, I have bought the DLC to have full time access to what I have bought!

I like to do mostly PVE, but sometimes I have lust to go to PVP, but I can not go to IC, because my campaign is not winning there, wth??
    I am just newly first time a member of a guild, I mostly solo, my friends here are just strangers met in the game, which characters I liked, they are not my real friends. I know some people that play the game, but none of them for my faction.
    So now what, do I have to forcefully PVP in Cyrodiil until I finally get to IC, then play few hours there, wanna play more there, but get kicked out of IC, because my faction is loosing the keeps? That is utter non-sense!!

I strongly disagree with the restriction!

Maybe the ZOS could leave it to the players to decide for themselves, just set a button switch in the game setting menu for people to turn the restricted access on or off how they like it!! that would be the most fairest version of this I would say.

@ZOS
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point in giving people new skills and stuff and then realizing that the servers can not hold that load, so the "solution" would be to nerf the skills? they make people like the game more, by giving them more oportunities to play and then they nerf those oportunities, make them upset and leave the game?
    they should increase the servers capacity!!! that would be the proper solution. then they could expand AoE (spellcrafting) infinitelly!!! also fighter skills and other skills!!!
    It is an inevitable step anyway!! so why not to solve the root of the problem now, not later!!!
    Edited by altemriel on October 27, 2015 8:40PM