Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Blacksmith faster leveling??

mcilroy
mcilroy
anyone know any tricks on how to get my blacklist up faster?? currently level 15 but its not going up fast enough

thanks
gamertag - MartyBoiiiii

PSN - Sickbhoy1888

xbox one EU server / PS4 EU server

MADE IN SCOTLAND
  • psychojudge
    psychojudge
    ✭✭✭
    Find a crafting buddy and decon his crafted stuff and vice versa.
    Deconstruct green and above, sell the white with value.
  • mcilroy
    mcilroy
    cheers mate this is a great idea
    gamertag - MartyBoiiiii

PSN - Sickbhoy1888

MADE IN SCOTLAND
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Ask some of your guildies to mail you stuff as opposed to destroying it, this should increase the volume of stuff you get to deconstruct and cost them next to nothing.

You could even agree to cover their mail cost by having them add a C.O.D. to the mails.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • mcilroy
    mcilroy
    Drax76 wrote: »
    Ask some of your guildies to mail you stuff as opposed to destroying it, this should increase the volume of stuff you get to deconstruct and cost them next to nothing.

You could even agree to cover their mail cost by having them add a C.O.D. to the mails.

this sounds class thanks see if someone sent me 50 steel daggers does than give me the same XP thta 50 different weapons would give myself??
    gamertag - MartyBoiiiii

PSN - Sickbhoy1888

MADE IN SCOTLAND
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the same as if you had looted those items yourself, and depend solely on the item's value/price.

So, if your guildie picks up a mess of free to take 0 value items from Cold Harbour, Eyevae, or Cyrodiil the inspiration gain for you will be lessened. However if your guildie sends you some items from their adventures which they'd usually destroy in order not have to return to the city so soon the inspiration gain will be greater.
    Edited by Drax76 on October 19, 2015 4:01PM
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    The higher the gear the more xp you will get, so of course the goal is to get lots of high level things to deconstruct. My own craft leveling tactics have been:

1) Of course all your characters should always be sending their loot to your crafter to deconstruct, and if anyone is willing to send you their loot to deconstruct as well then that's great, but don't bother with the 0 worth stuff. You won't make as much money obviously if you're not selling anything, but the more you deconstruct the faster the craft will level, so even deconstructing white items may be worth while to you, depending on your priorities. The crafting writs are one way to help make a little money despite not selling loot, and they also give you xp.

2) chest runs - Khenarthi's Roost and Bleakrock have a lot of easily accessible chests for example, and I find I can make a run of the island and get plenty of green or blue items with less time/hassle than grinding in some dungeon or wherever and getting potions, white items, or nothing for my trouble half the time. If you can, go chest hunting with your highest character in the highest zone they can handle - I borrow my husband's veteran character and have him send me all his loot, the progress bar moves significantly with those veteran 1 and above items.

3) as mentioned trading with a crafting buddy, but if it's too much of a hassle to find someone and coordinate with them, you can always create your own crafting buddy by leveling the same craft on an alt of your own. You'll only have the mats you've gathered to work with, but you still get good xp from deconstructing items made by another of your own characters. Have your alt invest in extraction points of course, and keep the tier of materials they can work with the same as your main crafter, but you won't need to spend too many points there since all they need to do is create and deconstruct. Be sure to upgrade your passives to the next tier of materials whenever you can, but remember you'll have to have some character that's capable of gathering from the corresponding zone - whether they're good at sneaking or properly leveled - investing points that you won't be able to get materials for will just prevent you from doing writs.

3b) If you're going to be crafting things to deconstruct or doing crafting writs, you're going to need a lot of materials which means farming and refining. Style materials are what I run out of most often these days (since I'm not into stealing them and thus am not stocking up every time I go into a building anymore). Before a craft-deconstruct session, I scout out the guild stores for large stacks of style materials at 5gold per piece or less if possible, and then just use up whatever style I'm able to stock up on at the time.

4) If you have lots of gold on hand you can also buy high level stuff to deconstruct, but that's probably not going to be worth it.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    The higher the gear the more xp you will get, so of course the goal is to get lots of high level things to deconstruct. My own craft leveling tactics have been:

1) Of course all your characters should always be sending their loot to your crafter to deconstruct, and if anyone is willing to send you their loot to deconstruct as well then that's great, but don't bother with the 0 worth stuff. You won't make as much money obviously if you're not selling anything, but the more you deconstruct the faster the craft will level, so even deconstructing white items may be worth while to you, depending on your priorities. The crafting writs are one way to help make a little money despite not selling loot, and they also give you xp.

2) chest runs - Khenarthi's Roost and Bleakrock have a lot of easily accessible chests for example, and I find I can make a run of the island and get plenty of green or blue items with less time/hassle than grinding in some dungeon or wherever and getting potions, white items, or nothing for my trouble half the time. If you can, go chest hunting with your highest character in the highest zone they can handle - I borrow my husband's veteran character and have him send me all his loot, the progress bar moves significantly with those veteran 1 and above items.

3) as mentioned trading with a crafting buddy, but if it's too much of a hassle to find someone and coordinate with them, you can always create your own crafting buddy by leveling the same craft on an alt of your own. You'll only have the mats you've gathered to work with, but you still get good xp from deconstructing items made by another of your own characters. Have your alt invest in extraction points of course, and keep the tier of materials they can work with the same as your main crafter, but you won't need to spend too many points there since all they need to do is create and deconstruct. Be sure to upgrade your passives to the next tier of materials whenever you can, but remember you'll have to have some character that's capable of gathering from the corresponding zone - whether they're good at sneaking or properly leveled - investing points that you won't be able to get materials for will just prevent you from doing writs.

3b) If you're going to be crafting things to deconstruct or doing crafting writs, you're going to need a lot of materials which means farming and refining. Style materials are what I run out of most often these days (since I'm not into stealing them and thus am not stocking up every time I go into a building anymore). Before a craft-deconstruct session, I scout out the guild stores for large stacks of style materials at 5gold per piece or less if possible, and then just use up whatever style I'm able to stock up on at the time.

4) If you have lots of gold on hand you can also buy high level stuff to deconstruct, but that's probably not going to be worth it.
    OP, this is a great post with spot on information. I just want to expand a little on the chest runs from item 2 above. Chests are a great way to get higher quality gear to decon, but also net you a little gold, XP, soul gems, glyphs, treasure maps, and now malachite shards. Since enchanting is by far the hardest skill to level, it's very worthwhile to use the chest glyphs to continually push that skill little by little. I opened chests for several days when I hit my Silver zone starter island to get the 1000 chest achievement. Not only did I get the achievement, I also maxed all equipment skills, collected tons of soul gems, and made a big dent in enchanting (and this was before the Inspiration was reduced). I make chests part of my routine farming runs, and use the proceeds to level alts since my main has long since maxed everything.
    Edited by Ourorboros on October 19, 2015 12:45AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • mcilroy
    mcilroy
    Aelthwyn wrote: »

great information
    gamertag - MartyBoiiiii

PSN - Sickbhoy1888

MADE IN SCOTLAND
  • bodunk2k
    bodunk2k
    Soul Shriven
    IMHO this is a bug you shouldn't have to craft 500 daggers to get to the next crafting level. I hope they fix it soon. I notice that you don't get experience for refining material and that often doing improvements or deconstruction will not either. Game has issues. My character is close to 20 but I am slugging through 7-12 areas just to get materials to craft - it's ridiculous.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never got much from making things, and considering the resource grind, this is a good thing. Also, 0 Value and Stolen items do not give any Inspiration on Decon. The 0 value items never did, and the stolen stuff they just recently nerfed.

Mob Loot is the best stuff to decon for crafting Inspiration. If you decon your mob loot after selling what you need to cover repairs, your crafting skills will go just fine as your character levels.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mgharris
    mgharris
    Buy "intricate" items from the guild traders and deconstruct them. This is much faster than any other method and you can be lvl 50 in literally as long as it takes to get mail. If you buy the top end voidsteel you will get about 1/8 to 1/4 of a crafting level per deconstruct. I find these items in the guild store for between 300 and 700 gold. I honestly think it is more cost effective than buying stacks of materials and making daggers and takes much less time.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steal items and deconstruct them
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    Steal items and deconstruct them

They recently nerfed the Inspiration and to some extent the Mats you get from deconning stolen items. Its better to Fence those and then buy Intricates from the Guild Stores

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently decided I didn't have anything else I was saving up for so I went ahead and bought stuff to deconstruct, so I thought I'd share my info.

I started out with clothing, woodworking, and blacksmithing at around level 30-35 and decided to try to get them all to 40. I searched mainly for intricate veteran rank 5 and above items for less than 300 a piece. It took some searching (took about a full day), but I did find things. It cost approximately 3,000 to gain 2 levels.
  • Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭