Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need some advice or thoughts or experience that can be given

MattyMatty
MattyMatty
✭✭
So yeah quite new to this game (Not ES in general) and I am going down the path so far as I am a Lvl7, of being a Dunmer DK thinking of focusing largely on Magicka with lesser so on Stamina and even less on Health - and for my melee Dual Wield

Is this is any good a base to use??
"Look I got cleAN SOCKS"
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything depends on how you play.

Meaning...what's good is based on your choices and how you approach the game.
    There is nothing wrong with your approach as long as

1. You like how you play and feel you're not frustrated when in battle whether its PvP or PvE.
    2. solo vs. group (some things work great alone but not so well when grouping with others where you all depend on one another)
    3. I'd suggest to play until level 20 as long as you're enjoying yourself and then stop, make another character and play it differently and see which you like most (Or just re-spec and keep playing another 10 - 15 levels)
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • icontested
    icontested
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything depends on how you play.

Meaning...what's good is based on your choices and how you approach the game.
    There is nothing wrong with your approach as long as

1. You like how you play and feel you're not frustrated when in battle whether its PvP or PvE.
    2. solo vs. group (some things work great alone but not so well when grouping with others where you all depend on one another)
    3. I'd suggest to play until level 20 as long as you're enjoying yourself and then stop, make another character and play it differently and see which you like most (Or just re-spec and keep playing another 10 - 15 levels)

That was a fast and precise response.. I'm impressed
    Voted and Current reigning champion of most handsome ESO player of 2013-2016
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    MattyMatty wrote: »
    So yeah quite new to this game (Not ES in general) and I am going down the path so far as I am a Lvl7, of being a Dunmer DK thinking of focusing largely on Magicka with lesser so on Stamina and even less on Health - and for my melee Dual Wield

Is this is any good a base to use??

As long as this approach works for you, it will be fine for leveling/solo content and would probably be acceptable for group content while leveling, as well.

However, it is not going to be considered the ideal approach for endgame content (either PvE or PvP). Because of the way stats in this game currently work it is better (from a dps or healer perspective) to focus almost entirely on magicka or stamina (but not both) with a lesser focus on health (basically, you need just enough health to stay alive lol). Healers should always focus on magicka first...DPS can choose to focus primarily on magicka or stamina. If you plan to play a tank you would want more of a focus on health than either of the other two roles.

With that said, if you don't care about being the best of the best at endgame content, you can pretty much get away with any build you find fun, and the early game is the best time to experiment and discover what type of character you want to play. So try a little of everything!
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    If you plan to play a tank you would want more of a focus on health than either of the other two roles.
    Not that much either. if you have 40k+ HP, but can't block or can't use your abilities because you are struggling with your ressources, it's not really efficient.
    Tanks should have a bit more health than the others sure, but they do need to choose a ressource to focus on too.

But otherwise, just what @Allyhoo811 said : depends where you want to play, but honestly at this point of the game, just have fun and go with whatever you want to play/test. This way you'll have an idea of what you like and what you don't when you hit the veteran content.
    Edited by Usara on October 20, 2015 11:02AM
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • MattyMatty
    MattyMatty
    ✭✭
    Just like to say thanks to you all for your advice all of it was of help and the conclusion I have drawn is I am only very early on in the game and this is my first character so I am going to just keep playing for the time being and see\learn
    "Look I got cleAN SOCKS"
  • terrordactyl1971
    terrordactyl1971
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just experiment and do what's fun, it's cheap enough to respec later in the game if you do something you don't like later + there are plenty of skill points in the game that a few points spent awry won't matter in the long run
  • MattyMatty
    MattyMatty
    ✭✭
    So I can respec all my skill points - does that also include respec Health Magicka and Stamina??

If so then my experience levels on all the different trees (Heavy Armour, Ardent Flame, Dual Wielding etc etc) stay the same though as does obviously my race and class?

Dunmer DK - hope that this was a good choice lol!!
    "Look I got cleAN SOCKS"
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. you can repec your attribute points too :)

The experience you've gained on a skill always stays after a respec. If you pick a different morph you do have to level it, but the experience earned on the original morph would always stay in case you wanted to go back to it at some point.
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on October 21, 2015 5:12PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling a character does not mean getting to VR Ranks, it means getting to VR Ranks with a character that is versatile and has some or all the levels in each weapon/armor skill you could use. Then all you have to do to change a build is respec, no grinding.

So, while leveling, make sure you have one of each type of armor on so all 3 armor skills level, you can focus your armor later. Try out each weapon type until you get them leveled up to 40 or so, or at least get the morphs unlocked. Sure your probably not going to use every weapon in the game, but pick the ones you think might use and level those.

Level up crafting by deconning most everything you get. You don't need to spend any skills early on. Except maybe Extraction or Research Passives. And, research traits, start that now and get at least 2 or 3 traits on everything, then start on the 4th trait. Of course you can skip some things you may never wear or use at first.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MattyMatty
    MattyMatty
    ✭✭
    @Allyhoo811 & @Nestor - thanks for your very helpful comments

I have a mix of all 3 types of armour on and I am levelling them up fairly equally, but so far with weapons I have only used dual wield and that is because I am a Dunmer which have a bonus for that type of melee.

Should I also level up say 2 handed for alternative style close combat and bow for distance option too???

Not bothered about using a shield so that one is dead in water for me
    "Look I got cleAN SOCKS"
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    MattyMatty wrote: »
    I have a mix of all 3 types of armour on and I am levelling them up fairly equally, but so far with weapons I have only used dual wield and that is because I am a Dunmer which have a bonus for that type of melee.
    e

Actually your bonus in only for training. Meaning as a Dunmer you level that skilline a bit quicker than other races, but that's all. You don't deal more damage with Dual Wield as a Dunmer.
    If you plan on playing a stamina based character, yes, do level up 2H and Bow.

Actually my advice would be to level up everything, and all the skills. You never know what you might need later (yes even sword and shield.... leveling a skillline does not mean using it)

When I level an alt, I use the alt bar only for skillines I want to level but do not use (I have a skill from each weapon skill line for exemple) and switch to this bar everytime I return a quest : most of my alts have all weapon lines to 50 even though they never used said weapon :)
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)