Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Not getting ingots from deconstruction

ForlornBeliever
I have all 3 skill points in my Metal Extraction skill yet I'm not getting the ingots from my deconstructions on my current blacksmith level(Calcinium). However, my friend who hasn't put a single point into it is getting anywhere between 3-5 ingots per item. WTF?
Edited by ForlornBeliever on October 17, 2015 6:46AM
Leader of the Bloodborne Rogues. Werewolf looking for a pack or want to be a werewolf? Or just looking for teammates to take on Tamriel's baddies? Feel free to message me if you have questions or are interested in joining. Xbox One/NA Server
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are deconstructing things that you crafted or that have no value? You have a much lower chance to reclaim materials if that's the case.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your character level is significantly below the level of the item, then you usually don't' get any materials, just style or perhaps traits or tempers. I don't know if the material level you have set allows for overleveled material recovery, I have been deconning over leveled items on unskilled crafters for so long I forget.

Also, the 0 cost white item you find in containers give no mats and the weapons and armor you steal you get little in the way of mats back. Neither give enough inspiration to make it worth carrying them to the bench.

Mob loot is what you decon.
    Edited by Nestor on October 20, 2015 8:23PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• xxdabqueenxx
    xxdabqueenxx
    Soul Shriven
    Hey sorry to post here but I didnt know how to start a separate topic.
    I wanted to know if researching traits with low level items is good or should I
    Just wait for high level items? Also after I have researched a trait would I be able to research that trait again
    With a higher level item? If not is there anyway to do so ?

I am only lvl 28 dragonknight

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks.
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey sorry to post here but I didnt know how to start a separate topic.
    Just wait for high level items? Also after I have researched a trait would I be able to research that trait again

I am only lvl 28 dragonknight

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks.

Researching low-level items is desirable and there is no benefit to higher-level item research beyond what is provided by a lower level item. Once you know Infused for swords, for example, it just works, no matter what level the item level you learned it from is. You can craft a V16 set using traits learned from any level gear. In fact, using lower level items is preferable since the materials gained from deconstructing higher-level items are more valuable and so you want to use fewer of those for researching purposes. Of course, given the long times for research and the rarity of some traits, it's nigh-unavoidable that you will have to use some high level items for research.

Edit: start researching asap! Once you get to 5+ traits for an item, it can take days to research a trait. The sooner you start, the better. Hang on to items for which you can research a trait even if you are currently researching the max amount you can. It's crazy how rare mundane traits can seem when you need a specific one.
    Edited by Speely on October 17, 2015 10:02PM
  • xxdabqueenxx
    xxdabqueenxx
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its the Trait that is important, not the level of the item. In fact, most of the Researchable items that you find in the Guild Stores are L1 Iron or Jute or Rawhide items with a trait on them.

To add to what was said above, get two traits on each item you want to make first, then get the third, then the fourth. Once you have the traits you want or need on the items you use, then fill in the other traits on the items you don't use or have not found a use for yet.

• mgharris
    mgharris
    Stolen or zero value items dont produce materials when deconstructed.
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Stolen items do return materials dependent upon level & SP expenditure, 0 value (free to take) items don't.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »
    Stolen items do return materials dependent upon level & SP expenditure, 0 value (free to take) items don't.

Stolen items return very little in materials, they are better to Fence than to Decon now.