Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a best class for specific roles?

Bigevilpeter
Bigevilpeter
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I am relatively new to this game and I want to know at high level play are there best classes for each role i.e (healing/tanking damage).

Based on just my logic I would say:

Best AOE DPS: Sorcerer
Best Single target DPS: Nightblade
Best Healer: Templar
Best Tank: Dragon knight

However I want to know if that's true or if lets say a templar and a sorcerer were both built correctly for dps they can do similar damage?

• MerkzM8
    MerkzM8
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every class can do every role, some better than others. But you could have a Nightblade Tank or a DPS Templar, it all depends on play style and what your prefer yourself. Supprisingly Templar is probably the best class for Single Target DPS.
    "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each class can play each role, they just have a slightly different approach.

I know that your logic follows the default each class, which is why it always amuses me when I'm healing a dungeon on my sorc and the rest of the group is made up of Templars. :-P

I have not tried tanking on a sorc or an NB, but I've had both tank in groups I've been in and it works out quite well.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar is not the best single target DD.
    Magicka templars are falling behind compared to the 3 the others magicka DDs. Stamina Templars are awesome for AoE, but not in single target.

And well, at the moment, in PvE, magicka specs are all better DDs than stamina ones (thanks to block modification mostly)

AoE Dunmer DKs are above Altmer Sorcs usually. But vampires NB can beat them all :D

Single target, tough one. I'd say Dunmer DK again, mostly because the Overload of the Sorc tends to get stuck in HA and screws the DpS ^^
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Each class can play each role, they just have a slightly different approach.

I know that your logic follows the default each class, which is why it always amuses me when I'm healing a dungeon on my sorc and the rest of the group is made up of Templars. :-P

I have not tried tanking on a sorc or an NB, but I've had both tank in groups I've been in and it works out quite well.

My main is a Tanking NB with a balance 60% Stamina & 40% Magica.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best tanks used to be the Dragon Knights, because they had all the skills to mitigate, control, the famous chains, and awesome ultimates...

Now the game is more balanced, at least for the tanking ;)

All classes can tank efficiently (but not in the same way, you have to adapt your gameplay as a tank considering your class and your main ressource : magicka or stamina).

My guild and I haven't been in the Sanctum for a while, but our main tanks were a DK stamina and a NB magicka, with another NB magicka and a Templar magicka as backups.
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)