Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Benefits of Enchanting Crafting?

bhagwad
bhagwad
✭✭✭✭
New player here, and skill points are in short supply and I need Clothier, Woodworking and Blacksmithing for armor and weapons. I need them because I can't purchase equipment with specific traits from vendors.

When it comes to enchanting however, the vendor simply sells you every single glyph you need. Is there any benefit to leveling up this crafting profession?

Also, how many crafts can a single character realistically learn within the skill point limit? I already want the above three...do I have enough skill points to level up four crafts?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes and yes.

There's enough skill points in the game to level 4 crafts on one toon but it won't be until after you beat the main story at level 50 and you move into the VR ranks before you'll really start to rake in extra skill points.

Enchanting is by far the slowest craft to level (unless you have a grinding partner) so you should start early by deconstructing all and any glyphs you find.
    Making your own glyphs is desired since you can make more powerful ones than what drops from mobs or is available from vendors.

If you don't mind leveling more than one character, you can split the crafting lines between them to ease the use of skill points per character and to have extra inventory slots for storage of mats.

I have 4 main toons and 4 storage mules ...
    :smile:
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Yes, yes and yes.

There's enough skill points in the game to level 4 crafts on one toon but it won't be until after you beat the main story at level 50 and you move into the VR ranks before you'll really start to rake in extra skill points.

Enchanting is by far the slowest craft to level (unless you have a grinding partner) so you should start early by deconstructing all and any glyphs you find.
    Making your own glyphs is desired since you can make more powerful ones than what drops from mobs or is available from vendors.

If you don't mind leveling more than one character, you can split the crafting lines between them to ease the use of skill points per character and to have extra inventory slots for storage of mats.

I have 4 main toons and 4 storage mules ...
    :smile:

Thanks for that! But if you don't mind me asking, what's the primary benefit of levelling enchanting since you can already purchase glyphs from the vendor? Is it to make green/blue/purple runes?
  • Zouni
    Zouni
    ✭✭✭
    The benefits I found was that I can make the purple/gold glyphs for myself and make some good extra gold selling them as well.
    Nyxtes - NB
    Nyxta - Sorc
    Mastrofonoss - DK
    Gr Blue - Temp
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bhagwad wrote: »
    But if you don't mind me asking, what's the primary benefit of levelling enchanting since you can already purchase glyphs from the vendor? Is it to make green/blue/purple runes?
    Yes, you'll be able to make better quality glyphs for your level and you don't have to spend any gold on them as the rune stones are free (if collected in the wild) ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on October 13, 2015 6:33PM
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Thanks for that! But if you don't mind me asking, what's the primary benefit of levelling enchanting since you can already purchase glyphs from the vendor? Is it to make green/blue/purple runes?[/quote]

You also have the ability to craft glyphs that do not drop in normal gameplay. For example, a weapon glyph that procs a weapon damage boost, or a jewelry glyph that provides flame resistance if you are a vampire. You can also make these glyphs stronger in blue, purple, and gold.

My 1st toon is my crafter. I have all crafting skills maxed to lvl50, and can craft the highest level in all areas. I still have enough skill points to max two, probably 3 weapon skill lines. This is with having collected every skyshard in the game (minus probably 10 from craglorn) I also am vet 14 so still have two skill points coming from leveling to v16, and many from ranking up in pvp. I did skimp allocating skill points in some areas of crafting. I did not put many points into Keen Eye (only one in each), skipped snakeblood(alchemy) since its worthless, and skipped hireling for the most part.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy gave you good advice. Decon every glyph you get. It's the best way to level enchanting and you can do it without using any skill points until you have the points to spare. It's definitely worth it to level enchanting to the point of being able to craft with Kutas, around level 42-43 (don't remember exactly). This will serve you well once you reach higher levels, as you will be able to make your own enchantments. Selling glyphs can also be profitable.

FYI, there are enough skill points to level all crafts on one character and have skill points left over. There were advantages to splitting crafts over several characters, but with the recent change to how motifs are being handled, it makes sense to have all equipment crafts on one so you don't have to find multiple copies of new, hard to find, motifs.

In the early levels, Cyrodiil is a good source of skill points from skyshards, though you'll likely need to group to collect them. Once you complete the main quest and start Cadwell quests, you can triple your skill points. There are also skyshards in Craglorn, IC and Orsinium.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the consensus is that there will be enough skill points to level 4 crafting professions...!
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the consensus is that there will be enough skill points to level 4 crafting professions...!

Or break the crafting up between a couple of characters or more, frees up skill points.

I use 2 main crafters, maxed out on all professions between the two of them, and fully maxed out on skill points for chosen professions for them both also, freeing up skill points.

And glyph enchanting is so handy and a good money maker, all my Vr16 enchants for my main stamblade is legendary and self crafted, defo beats spending tons of gold on getting someone to craft them for you or out of guild stores.

Up to yourself however, do what is best for you and have fun:}
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, the benefits to enchanting are huge

You can craft glyphs which are way better than any you can buy or find in the wild
    N64 NA EP
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, my main was fully spec'd into clothing, woodworking, blacksmithing, enchanting and alchemy. Recently outsourced alchemy to an alt though to free up some skill points. Still fully spec'd into 4 lines though and have around 15 skill points spare. I'm only spec'd into 2 weapon lines and 2 armour lines though.
    PC | EU
  • Count_Dracula
    Count_Dracula
    ✭✭✭