The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Surge, Shields and the disturbing "features" of ESO

Ahzek
Ahzek
✭✭✭✭✭
Surge (All Ranks & Morphs): This ability can now trigger off of doing damage to player characters that are using damage mitigation shields.

The above patchnote was part of all the changes that intended to make shileds behave more like actual player HP and not like something completely negating damage in an effort to make effects relying on damaging a target more reliable in actual PvP combat. However, unlike most of the other changes of that sort it does not work correctly.

Instead of actually basing the heal on damage dealt to the shield, it is simply a flat value and a mockingly small value at that.

When I crit charged my test subject (a light armor sorcerer) and dealt ~2.5-3k damage to his shield, instead of healing for the ~2k crit surge would give me, I got restored 182 HP.
Uppercut on a shiled yielded the same results, and instead of giving me the usual 5k heal (from 7k damage) it also only healed me for 182 HP.

Additionally, when a critical strike breached a shield with some overflow damage only the overflow damage would actually give me any healing from surge and the tiny 182 would not even be applied at all. While this is hardly relevant now, it will be quite important should the first issue be get fixed.

So here comes my plea:
Please fix Surge healin off shields. The way it is right now it is more an insult than any help and makes the use you get out of surge against magicka sorcs and any other shieldspammers (hello healing ward NBs and 420 Blazing temps) pretty much equal to that of blood altar.

Thus I @spam thee:
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_JesusV (SAVE US!) @ZOS_JasonLeavey
Edited by Ahzek on September 30, 2015 3:46PM
Jo'Khaljor
  • LegendaryChef
    LegendaryChef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree!
    Zzoro/Elliot Brown/Baldy ~Kitesquad/Noricum~
    PC EU.
    Spider mount was the only good part about morrowind release.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just here to confirm the pitifully small heal that you get off of shields with Crit Surge. I rely on Surge heals and basically have to ignore all Sorc since I can not heal from them. My Surge heal against a shielded target was right around 150 every time.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge has been a wreck since they put in the cooldown.

Because unpredictable heals both in frequency and quality that required you to hit the player were so op.

Remove the global cooldown.
    Remove the dot restriction.
    Unchain the melee sorcs.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    surge need to work again with velicious curse and magicka det. and daedric mines and their morphs . These shouldnt be DOTs.
    Second if what OP said and its not working properly against shielded players, well it need to be fixed also
    Edited by quickblade418 on October 1, 2015 3:29AM
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will but thee to try and raise some awareness =/
    Jo'Khaljor
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons damage shields are so strong. They are not just extra HP, they are anti-crit, anti-cc and such as this case even anti mechanic.

I have not really tested on my Templar but I can guess Puncturing Sweep delivers no heal on a shielded target. Apparently it doesn't get the 140% damage bonus either on shielded targets.

• DEATHquidox
    DEATHquidox
    ✭✭✭
    So i recently rolled a stam sorc and im fiding it impossible to stay alive even with rally and vigor due to this its hard not having a dedicated heal when im going up against someone that my skill is sapose to work on this NEEDS to be fixed because i like playing my stam sorc its alot more fun now other than magicka im loving it i just want to be able to stay alive
  • Masuimi
    Masuimi
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons damage shields are so strong. They are not just extra HP, they are anti-crit, anti-cc and such as this case even anti mechanic.

I have not really tested on my Templar but I can guess Puncturing Sweep delivers no heal on a shielded target. Apparently it doesn't get the 140% damage bonus either on shielded targets.

How exactly are shields anti CC? or do you just like making stuff up?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masuimi wrote: »
    danno8 wrote: »

How exactly are shields anti CC? or do you just like making stuff up?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/152276/bug-damage-shields-preventing-some-cc-from-working

Not all cc but some CC's. It's a nice little benefit though.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please remove the cooldown and make DoTs work. Or at least rework daedric curse and daedric mines, so they can finally trigger surge.

Keep the cooldown on AoE abilities and make it only possible for 1 target per AoE cast to trigger surge. Then everything is fine and balanced.
    Sorcerer is the only class being forced to use healing staff. Now even more, thanks to shieldbreaker.
    Sorcerer needs more healing utility in order to allow more build diversity and to use other things instead of healing staff.

Edited by Dracane on October 13, 2015 1:41PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • tennotsukai87
    tennotsukai87
    ✭✭
    deadric mines is considered a dot?
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadric mines is considered a dot?

Well it lasts 30sec, so I guess it does^^
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a thread regarding current sorcerer issues -
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/222557/current-sorcerer-issues#latest

I have added the concerns/suggestions from this thread

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcs have been saying surge has been broke for quite some time, idk if its true or not though, as I have not played a sorc for a long extent
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS shot themselves in the foot (and shot Sorcerers in the head) when they gave Surge a cooldown.

Before the cooldown, NOBODY was complaining about "shield stacking Sorcs". After the cooldown, Conjured Ward was all we had left, so of course Sorcs built a meta around maximizing our damage shields.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS shot themselves in the foot (and shot Sorcerers in the head) when they gave Surge a cooldown.

Before the cooldown, NOBODY was complaining about "shield stacking Sorcs". After the cooldown, Conjured Ward was all we had left, so of course Sorcs built a meta around maximizing our damage shields.

Exactly. Shields were no essential part of Sorcerer builds back then. They used them, but only to negate some damage, not as as a health bar basically.

Surge needs to get buffed. it is no reliable self heal, it does not need all those penalties and cooldowns.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    60% healing from all AE crits would would be insanely OP. 40k AE DPS (ie, tornado spam with some AE DoTs)would turn into 15k HPS. It would trivialize all trash content for sorcs.

The current implementation is actually very fair, they just need to modify select attacks that are considered DoTs (rapid strikes especially) to work with surge
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    60% healing from all AE crits would would be insanely OP. 40k AE DPS (ie, tornado spam with some AE DoTs)would turn into 15k HPS. It would trivialize all trash content for sorcs.

The current implementation is actually very fair, they just need to modify select attacks that are considered DoTs (rapid strikes especially) to work with surge

That's why Surge still needs a cooldown on AoE abilities. But not on everything else.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • posthumecaver
    posthumecaver
    ✭✭

Funnily Crit Surge procs from Steel Tornado :) so people is already getting insane heals but not from Heavy Attack from Energy Overload..... :)

Go figure....