Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does Magicka affect spell damage?

Vizjerie
Vizjerie
as the title states, if not then how does one gain spell damage? because as i look through the skill calculators, very rarely do you see increase spell power and when it does, its just 1 or 2%. and so far I havent seen any gear with spell power increase...

on the other hand, every class ability deals magic damage, so... how do i fuel them if i want to let say make a glass cannon?
  • Kratork
    Kratork
    ✭✭
    if the skill need magicka to cast it will increase damage stacking magicka, same for stamina based ability, some skill have base damage based on magicka and crit based on weapon damage and that's weird but it's just how it is.
  • Vizjerie
    Vizjerie
    weird it doesnt say that in the skill description. or anywhere...
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    Max Magica also effects the damage done by summoned pets using magica skills, ie the lightning attack from winged twilight.
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +spell damage enchants on jewelry. BUT outside of that ... I have no idea :(.

It makes me sad thinking that there isn't a good way to 'progress' your spell damage in VR (once your traits are capped) as there is weapon damage, armor, etc.

Can a dev comment on this? How do we up our spellpower in VR (other than jewelry which is a very very modest increase anyway)?
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kratork wrote: »
    if the skill need magicka to cast it will increase damage stacking magicka, same for stamina based ability, some skill have base damage based on magicka and crit based on weapon damage and that's weird but it's just how it is.

Don't think that the max of the stat is affected, only the attribute points spent in it (e.g. stam attribute verly slightly increases weapon dmg, and magika spell dmg). I've seen no difference in numbers using max magika food, for example.
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think that the max of the stat is affected, only the attribute points spent in it (e.g. stam attribute verly slightly increases weapon dmg, and magika spell dmg). I've seen no difference in numbers using max magika food, for example.
    That would suck and somewhat contradict what Devs said on this forum.
    Maybe there are thresholds that determine damage output and you didn´t make it with your food?

“I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Kratork
    Kratork
    ✭✭

Nope sorry,I have just re-tested it to be sure:
    same skill, same mob, removing gear with magicka and going under the softcap my damage goes down, add magicka with buff or enchant on gear and damage goes up.

I'm talking about effective damage dealt on mob, not the number in weapon damage and spell damage in the character page.
    Edited by Kratork on May 2, 2014 12:20AM
  • dirk1897
    dirk1897
    I would usifull to find out how much does magicka affect the damage....

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking about effective damage dealt on mob, not the number in weapon damage and spell damage in the character page.

mobs might have buffs that reduce your damage ?
    I wish the damage calcs were much more opaque rather than hidden and on a need to know basis.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirk1897 wrote: »
    I would usifull to find out how much does magicka affect the damage....

Chew on this thread as I asked this same question.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/121899/

I say chew as my eyes started getting crossed as I went through it....

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dirk1897
    dirk1897
    Whoa!!! O_o
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
  • TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭

same skill, same mob, removing gear with magicka and going under the softcap my damage goes down, add magicka with buff or enchant on gear and damage goes up.

Seems like this would much easier to understand and effectively stat if max magicka effected the spell damage stat and not each individual ability/spell.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »

Seems like this would much easier to understand and effectively stat if max magicka effected the spell damage stat and not each individual ability/spell.

Thread Necro!

I mean, you are correct, but why did you feel the need to revive a nearly 9 month old thread just to say this?
  • Severeds
    Severeds
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »

Thread Necro!

I mean, you are correct, but why did you feel the need to revive a nearly 9 month old thread just to say this?

Right! I mean he should have started a whole new thread for his opinion...

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Severeds wrote: »
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »

Thread Necro!

Right! I mean he should have started a whole new thread for his opinion...

I love it...This thread was necro'd to complain about someone who was complaining that the tread had been necro'd 3 months ago.

Mannimarco's forum necromancy plot just keeps getting stronger :smiley: