Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confused about mount training

NewbieKenobi
NewbieKenobi
✭✭
So I read some guides on the internet, but didn't get much wiser. Thought I'd run straight to the source of the truth and ask here :)

I was under the impression you could train a mount to lvl 60 in carrying capacity, stamina or speed. Also that you could only train one riding skill at a time, no matter how many mounts you have.

So I have a mount, a pre order something from the crown store. I'm training it in carrying capacity atm. But I'm pretty high now and though I'd get som better speed. I get a new 10k mount from the stables and activate it. I want to train it in speed but I see my carry capacity is there as well. Also my old mount had sadle bags. My new mount does as well... I'm confused.

So... Does it matter what riding skill I train on what mount? Do I even need to get a second mount to train riding skills beyond 60? Is two mounts getting me to mount lvl "120"? (60x2)

Or can I train a single mount to lvl 60 in carrying, stamina and speed?

Or do I need three mounts to train all three skills to 60, but it does not matter which mount I train in what skills?

I'm really at a loss here. Could some one be friendly enough to sort this out for me? I'd really like to train my final mount in stamina to get the mount armor on it but still benefit from the speed and carrying from my two other mounts. Or will my final mount have both sadle bags AND armor?

Help med Obe-Wan, you're my only hope... ;)
Xbox One | EU | SWE

"- People say you are what you eat, but I don't remember eating a f*****g legend."

Join our all swedish cross alliance guild Det Svenska Lejonet, we are always looking for more active swedish players! Join us for Pledges, Dungeons, Trials and more!

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most online guides are outdated. Each horse used to be trained separately, some had bonuses to certain skills - not anymore. Now your character's riding skill applies to every mount you use and you can max out every stat (60-60-60). It's better this way, tbh. It makes crown store mounts instantly usable and ensures they aren't pay to win. All mounts are only cosmetic now - and account-wide, so you only really need one (the riding skill isn't account-wide, though, so you still need to train new chars).

If you want to make your horses visually different, you can turn off each upgrade visual in the setting. I keep only straps (speed) on my horses or even nothing at all.
    Edited by Rosveen on October 4, 2015 7:57AM
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    You have most of the parts correct, just a smidgen out of order.

The Riding skill isn't specific to individual Mounts, it is specific to individual Riders/Characters.

All mounts used by a single character will have the same point expenditure; which maxes out at 60 for each of the 3 categories (carrying, stamina and speed). Only 1 Category can be trained per 20 hour window at a time, regardless of how many mounts the player owns.

Any alternate Characters will need to train their own Riding Skill. Training paid for by another character or bought via the Crown Store WILL NOT carry over to any alternate characters even if you Trained using the same mount on another character.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • NewbieKenobi
    NewbieKenobi
    ✭✭
    Great answer guys, thanx a million!!! Finally a straight answer :smile::smiley:

That was PRECISELY what I wanted to know! :smiley:

And "thank you outdated internet guide" who was surprisingly updated like 5 days ago, you just cost me 10k... Booooo... :expressionless:
    Xbox One | EU | SWE

"- People say you are what you eat, but I don't remember eating a f*****g legend."

Join our all swedish cross alliance guild Det Svenska Lejonet, we are always looking for more active swedish players! Join us for Pledges, Dungeons, Trials and more!

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was PRECISELY what I wanted to know! :smiley:
    One more thing to point out, because the game wasn't updated: the mounts sold at stables do not have those bonuses anymore. If you read the description, you'll see they're specific for carry, stamina, or speed. In short: they're all the same, meaning there's no reason to pay 42k gold for them unless you want a different color from the base 10k horse.