Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character names not gamer tags

llcooltom
llcooltom
Soul Shriven
Any idea how to get character names showing instead of game tags. Nothing to take you out of the immersive experience then seeing johnnybigdick94 running past.
  • LilBibbs
    LilBibbs
    Soul Shriven
    With ya on this one

PS4
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't, from what I heard you can blame Microsoft for that, they don't want people playing social games anonymously so they insisted that all names should be your game tags.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »
    You can't, from what I heard you can blame Microsoft for that, they don't want people playing social games anonymously so they insisted that all names should be your game tags.
    This makes no sense. Do you think my name is Violynne B? Even with my XBox Live account, there's no personal information. It was purposely created to be nothing more than a gaming account. If Microsoft wants my real information, they're going to have to extract it from my death certificate.

My belief is the XBox Live system makes it easier to contact other XBox players, hence the gamertags rather than character names.

And OP, this isn't going to change just because it's a gamertag. A few videos will show you PC names aren't any better than "johnnybigdick94".

Give a user the ability to create their own names, and you can bet they'll abuse it.

Oh, and one more thing: imagine how tedious it would be to try and contact people who use the same name! :O

• Ballzy321
    Ballzy321
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad its gamer tags easier to block the idiots blasting music in towns
  • Artemisshrikes
    Artemisshrikes
    ✭✭✭
    its possible but its not on yet like on the game Defiance you can play with play made names instead of gamer tags
    VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)
  • BackFreckle
    BackFreckle
    ✭✭✭
    This used a hot button issue right at console launch and had many threads with many pages but nothing ever happened and all the outcry against psn/gamer tags just stopped and here we are today

As stated many times in multiple threads there are other console mmos that allow you to use you characters name instead of ps4 name and I wish this game followed suit. A lot of people put hard work into their characters names and yet they just go to waste. (Not to mention two people can't have the same name which makes 0 sense)

It's funny, from what I understood, this game was all about immersion when Paul sage was here and they let console launch without this feature pretty much ruining a lot of immersion. I know I didn't like questing alongside xxGiggleFootxx
    Lara Dorren - Breton Templar
    Morzann - High Elf Nightblade
    Orik - Nord Dragonknight
    Oromis - High Elf Sorcerer
    Ellaria Sand - Redguard Sorcerer
    Solara - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    N'guvu Mojeda - Khajiit Sorcerer
    Lady Pakura - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Solembum - Khajiit Drafonknight
    AD//PS4//NA
    PSN - KuruptGamer
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Belidos wrote: »
    This makes no sense. Do you think my name is Violynne B? Even with my XBox Live account, there's no personal information. It was purposely created to be nothing more than a gaming account. If Microsoft wants my real information, they're going to have to extract it from my death certificate.

My belief is the XBox Live system makes it easier to contact other XBox players, hence the gamertags rather than character names.

And OP, this isn't going to change just because it's a gamertag. A few videos will show you PC names aren't any better than "johnnybigdick94".

Give a user the ability to create their own names, and you can bet they'll abuse it.

Oh, and one more thing: imagine how tedious it would be to try and contact people who use the same name! :O

It makes perfect sense, it's not a great idea, but it makes perfect sense. When they talk about avoiding anonymity they don't mean knowing who you are in real life, they mean knowing your gamer tag so you can avoid playing other games with them and so on.

For example:

Scenario 1: RandomNoob88 is spamming racist comments in ESO, you can then decide from now on to avoid playing any games or joining any groups/servers in other games that RandomNoob88 is playing.
    Scenario 2: Bob the Wizard is spamming racist comments in ESO, you want to avoid playing with him in other Xbox games, but oh you don't know his gamer tag so you can't

Microsoft (it may have been Sony but i can't remember, I just remember that one had to have it so they did it in both) enforced the gamer tags in game to avoid scenario 2 above.

Makes perfect sense to me, I don't particularly agree with the way they did it, they cold have linked character names to the consoles ignore function instead, but this was how they did it.
  • subbssb14_ESO
    On PC we have an account name and a character name, I don't see why they cant just change it so that if you ignore the character name, the game adds their account name to your ignore instead, ESO can easily pair character names to account names and it's not like peoples account names are really a secret anyways, most people arn't using their character names to HIDE what their account name is, they use it to make each character separately identifiable and as a form of expression, not to mention role play and immersion.