The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tempering Alloy

McSwaggins
McSwaggins
✭✭✭
Anyway to efficiently farm these? The prices have doubled since IC update came out
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do crafting writs or refine raw ore, that's the only way. And probably the reason why prices have doubled is that many of us had to craft new gear after the nerfs :)
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    McSwaggins wrote: »
    Anyway to efficiently farm these? The prices have doubled since IC update came out

Supply and Demand.

They have always been the most expensive because 70% of weapons use Tempering Alloy as well as all the Heavy Armor.

Rosin is the least used gold upgrade because it is used to upgrade only staves, bows and shields yet is acquired in equal abundance to other upgrade mats.

Dreugh Wax is also very abundant because most grinds give you shadowhide etc to deconstruct and refinement of both leather and cloth raw material gives you dreugh wax, plus it isn't used on any weapons.

That said, Voidstone is far more abundant I feel than Nightwood and Void Bloom when farming as on a good farming session of doing my stored up surveys in Craglorn I'll come back with 400 voidstone and only 300 voidbloom and 200 nightwood.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do agree, farm voidstone ore and refine it, combined with as many high level blacksmithing writs as possible. Make sure you do the refining with a character that has 3/3 "metal extraction" and do the upgrading of items with a char that has 3/3 "temper expertise".

As long as you don't need nirncrux, do the voidstone farming in lower craglorn, since it has a high node density overall, good respawn rates and - contrary to upper craglorn - little competition.
    Edited by Leandor on September 24, 2015 2:30PM
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you're lucky you can also obtain 1 from a hireling. That was how I got mine at first before I had a shot at scoring them from refinement.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • CaliberSH
    CaliberSH
    Leandor wrote: »
    I do agree, farm voidstone ore and refine it, combined with as many high level blacksmithing writs as possible. Make sure you do the refining with a character that has 3/3 "metal extraction" and do the upgrading of items with a char that has 3/3 "temper expertise".

As long as you don't need nirncrux, do the voidstone farming in lower craglorn, since it has a high node density overall, good respawn rates and - contrary to upper craglorn - little competition.

I believe that all ores have an equal chance of temper drops once you have the skill point for it, IE it would be easier to just go get a bunch of iron ore (or whatever ore you wish) and refine it if tempers are your endgame for that.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is the theory. But if you go farm voidstones, you can stock up on writ materials at the same time.