The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PS4 - NA - Quick question about Weapon/Spell Criticals

Pyro117
Pyro117
✭✭
This would normally be easy for me to tell - if I could see the damage numbers. Since I am on a PS4, I can't.

So.... The Weapon Critical % is the change you will get a critical strike for the following type of attacks:
1. Light Attacks (with daggers, swords, axes, bows, etc... does not include staves)
2. Heavy Attacks
3. Any skill that is stamina based? This is the one I really am not sure about.

The Spell Critical % is the chance you will get a critical hit for the following type of attacks:
1. Light attacks with Staves
2. Heavy attacks with Staves
3. Any skill that is an attack and is magika based.

The only exceptions I can think of are skills like Hardened Armor, Mark Target -> non damage skills.

Does this over simplify it? Am I totally off base?
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think of it this way, for better or worse:

Spell Crit:
    Gives your Magicka-based abilities and weapons a chance to do Critical Damage

Weapon Crit:
    Gives your Physical Attacks a chance to do Critical Damage

+ + +

So what is a Magicka based attack vs. a Physical based attack is the next logical question?

It gets a bit mudier here...

Staves have their "damage" based on weapon damage, but their CRITICAL based on Spell critical... (bizarre, right?)

If it looks like a physical attack (staff bash) that's a weapon attack... if it looks magical... (staff ability) - then that's a SPELL CRIT attack!

You cannot go by whether it drains your resources (magicka / stamina) to power the ability... example, lava whip drains magicka, but it uses WEAPON CRIT... Also, you have other class skills like class skills such as Searing Strikes, Biting Jabs, Veriled Strikes which are skill based spells that create weapon strikes and use WEAPON CRIT. These are mitigated by ARMOR. Puncturing Strikes on the other hand seems to be mitigated by Spell Resistance and does not crit... LOL confused yet?

You may want to watch this vid, it works to try and explain things - at least, as when the vid was made... ZoS is dynamic and ever changing... UNFORTUNATELY, we don't see damage numbers on PS4, so, its all a bit of a mystery on those specific consoles and builds, so we can only rely on the latest PC info, and hope there are similarities...

Wish there was a better answer, but vids like this, are what we have:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOwZHb4sXY

Happy hunting
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. This would be so easy if we could just have damage numbers on the PS4. I could then know the answer easily.

I watch the video but I have no idea if that is true any longer. That video was created in March 2014 - over a year old. I am sure ZoS has changed quite a few things since then.

Edited by Pyro117 on September 24, 2015 9:20PM
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    I have been thinking and reading about all this and I have come to the conclusion that Damage and Critical (wether spell or weapon) are not tied together. This would explain the confusion that I have with all this.

So maybe this is a good way to think about it:

What uses Weapon Damage (not worrying about weapon critical):

1. All light/heavy attacks use weapon damage (doesn't matter the weapon type)
    2. All skills/abilities that burn Stamina will be based on Weapon Damage

What uses Spell Damage (not worrying about spell critical):
    1. All skills/abilities that burn Magika will be based on Spell Damage

Now how do you determine what uses what critical chance?

Best guess:
    * 1-handed, 2-handed, bows, shields - are all definetly a physical attack - weapon critical
    * Staves are doing a magic attack (i.e. fireball, iceball, lightning) - spell critical
    * Lava Whip skill -> I can see this as being a physical whip with a fire attribute - weapon critical
    * Piercing strikes -> This is seen as a physical spear -> weapon critical
    * Ambush -> I would think would be based on weapon critical because they are blades striking the enemy

In summary, if it can be seen as a physical attack (even though it uses Magika, then it will use weapon critical). If it is a "magic attack" (Storm Calling, Dawn' wrath abilities) then it should use Spell critical.

The issue here is understanding what abilities is "seen" as a physical attack versus magic attack by ZoS.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I could be way off base here (I'm not a huge min/maxer, so I don't worry with number crunching etc.), but I feel like a lot of the muddiness you all are speaking of was simplified in one of the patches late last year or early this year. Again, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that now if it use stamina it is a physical attack and scales off weapon damage and if it uses magicka it is a magic attack and scales off spell damage.

Maybe one of the data crunchers that play on PC could shed some more light on this, but I feel like I remember reading that things had changed from the crazy randomness of launch.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    I could be way off base here (I'm not a huge min/maxer, so I don't worry with number crunching etc.), but I feel like a lot of the muddiness you all are speaking of was simplified in one of the patches late last year or early this year. Again, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that now if it use stamina it is a physical attack and scales off weapon damage and if it uses magicka it is a magic attack and scales off spell damage.

Maybe one of the data crunchers that play on PC could shed some more light on this, but I feel like I remember reading that things had changed from the crazy randomness of launch.

I think you missed part of the objective to my post. I believe if it is a skill and uses magika then the damage is based on spell damage. However, what critical chance % does it use to determine if that attack was a crit?

I don't think it is as simple as you have suggested - but that is what I hope to find out.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Pyro117 wrote: »
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

I think you missed part of the objective to my post. I believe if it is a skill and uses magika then the damage is based on spell damage. However, what critical chance % does it use to determine if that attack was a crit?

I don't think it is as simple as you have suggested - but that is what I hope to find out.

According to the thread linked below, it was Patch 1.6 that overhauled the system the way I was remembering and got rid of a lot of the old confusion...It's now appears to be pretty cut and dry:
    Now, after patch 1.6, all abilities that use stamina scale off of weapon power, max stamina, and weapon crit. All abilities that use magicka scale off of spell power, max magicka, and spell crit.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/169529/spell-critical-vs-weapon-critical

• Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Yup in the PC patch 1.6.5 is the following;

Other Major Gameplay Changes

Synergy abilities now scale off your highest stats that are either stamina or magicka based.
    Ultimates and Synergy abilities now always scale of your highest Critical Strike stat instead of just your Spell Critical Strike.
    Abilities that cost magicka will now always scale off your magicka, spell damage, and spell critical strike stats.
    Abilities that cost stamina will now always scale off your stamina, weapon damage, and weapon critical strike stats.

via: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/154426/patch-notes-v1-6-5#latest

This was patched into ESO Before the game was released on PS4/Xbox One. It should be safe to assume that PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game also use this same method.

Thanks for finding the thread Allyhoo811
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    So...... Heavy and Light Attacks from Destro/Restro staves scale off of Weapon damage or Spell Damage?
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    So...... Heavy and Light Attacks from Destro/Restro staves scale off of Weapon damage or Spell Damage?

They scale off Spell Damage, as staves are magicka based weapons.

The only "staff attacks" I can see scaling off weapon damage would be if you bash with the staff, because bash costs stamina (Note: I have not tested this part, but it would make sense, since all stamina based "abilities" scale off weapon damage).

Edited by Allyhoo811 on September 25, 2015 11:02PM