Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting at item set kiosks

Kensei_ESO
Kensei_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I would like to offer a suggestion regarding crafting at item set kiosks in the world (Night's Silence, etc.).

Please remove the option to craft normal/non-set pieces at these stations. Almost everyone I know, including myself, have wasted materials at these stations because the menu defaulted to the non-set piece. Removing this option would cure some headaches. I don't see any reason why we need to be able to craft non-set gear at these locations.

Thanks!
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hear your thoughts, but is this really necessary?
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Kensei_ESO
    Kensei_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

The potent nirncrux I accidentally wasted at the Torug's Pact station the other day is evidence that yes, this is really necessary. :wink:
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually had good luck breaking down the gear I make and getting back the Nirns.

But I had to learn the hard way myself to look for the set bonuses when at a Special Crafting Station before hitting the Create button.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    CGPsaint wrote: »

The potent nirncrux I accidentally wasted at the Torug's Pact station the other day is evidence that yes, this is really necessary. :wink:

Well then. When you put it that way...
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like being able to craft things that aren't part of the set there because sometimes I want to try on different styles and see what they look like before making the real set, but since they're just test items I'd rather they not become bound by equipping them so that I can later pass them off to a friend to deconstruct which makes them less of a waste.

But it should certainly default to the Set crafting! - which in my experience I thought it did...? I've never personally had a problem with accidentally making non-set items, though I've wasted mats on making the wrong leveled item when switching from chest to hands or the like, so that's not to brush off your experience - it's terrible to loose the hard earned mats like that. Perhaps if there was a dialogue to confirm creating non-set things at those stations or something like that? (hmm... seems like an addon for that at least might be a good idea...) The larger description box is my cue that I'm making the set item rather than the regular item.

And on a completely different note, I really wish there were dye stations at the set crafting stations because it's such a pain to run back to town to dye your new set, only to discover that bit of trim doesn't take dye and you're stuck with white lines on your black robe or something and have to go all the way back to the crafting station to make it in a different style.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on September 17, 2015 5:57AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please do NOT remove the normal items. Sometimes I need to craft a set and a standard weapon. Being able to do all that in one area is pretty convenient. I also double check what I'm crafting so I don't screw it up, so there's that
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a checklist before clicking 'craft' that i always go through:

- is the item the correct level?
    - does the item have the correct trait?
    - is the item of the correct set?

You should get into this habit, otherwise even if you cannot craft a non-set piece there anymore, sooner or later you're gonna waste mats on a vr9 item instead of vr14 one, or make it trait-less by mistake :)
  • BigSwole703
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Please do NOT remove the normal items. Sometimes I need to craft a set and a standard weapon. Being able to do all that in one area is pretty convenient. I also double check what I'm crafting so I don't screw it up, so there's that

I agree, being able to do both is useful. I've made the mistake of crafting regular armor when meaning to craft an armor set as well, but that's on me.
    I follow a checklist like Sharee now.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest mistake I've made was just crafting the wrong the level. Usually happens when I go from crafting an item like a hat, chest, legs to a waist, gloves, shoulders, boots because they require different amounts of mats.
    Wouldn't hurt if there was an option similar to "Buy Back" from merchants where you could deconstruct the things you've just made and receive 100% of the mats involved, but gain no experience from it.
    Edited by Alucardo on September 17, 2015 11:47AM
  • Kensei_ESO
    Kensei_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I personally don't see any reason to craft a standard piece at a set location that you went far out of the way to get to (for the sole purpose of crafting set pieces). Kudos on never screwing it up, because everyone I know has been burned at least once.

As to another poster's point about crafting standard pieces to try out the aesthetics, you can just as easily use the set pieces as they don't cost any more, and handing the discarded pieces to a friend for deconstruction is not really worthwhile given the inspiration gain in my opinion. You might as well just decon yourself and get some of your material back.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always sell me the wrong nirn item at scratch and dent prices ;-)

That does suck though, hate when I make the wrong item. I usually triple check now, got burned a few times when I didnt have enough mats to remake the item.

Not sure I would do away with normal items though. Maybe color code them to make it more obvious, but miatakes will happen of one sort or another regardless.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the poor thieves with high bounties that can't safely make it into town to craft?

Oh right, they're thieves..
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't see any reason to craft a standard piece at a set location that you went far out of the way to get to (for the sole purpose of crafting set pieces).

I told you why. Because sometimes I just need to. As an example, I was grinding a new DK today - he was level 14. Because he's so low, I don't really care what he wears, but I wanted the Ashen Grip set for some extra health and damage. So, I went and crafted 5 pieces of Ashen Grip, then the 2 missing pieces of normal medium armour, a standard shield and a standard sword. Took them back to the bank with only making 1 stop (the ashen grip work station). I didn't have to go back past the forge in town to get those standard pieces because I could do it all from the one place.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have to go back past the forge in town to get those standard pieces because I could do it all from the one place.
    Exactly! I do get tired of spending time running between errand stops, so being able to craft everything at one spot is really nice. And it's nice to still be able to craft the other items you need even if you don't have enough traits researched on all of them yet to make them part of the set. Especially earlier on I appreciated this when I was only able to make a couple of set items at most of the stations but still needed the other armor pieces, just plain.
  • Kensei_ESO
    Kensei_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I told you why. Because sometimes I just need to. As an example, I was grinding a new DK today - he was level 14. Because he's so low, I don't really care what he wears, but I wanted the Ashen Grip set for some extra health and damage. So, I went and crafted 5 pieces of Ashen Grip, then the 2 missing pieces of normal medium armour, a standard shield and a standard sword. Took them back to the bank with only making 1 stop (the ashen grip work station). I didn't have to go back past the forge in town to get those standard pieces because I could do it all from the one place.

But even in this scenario, I think it makes WAY more sense to just craft all 9 pieces in Ashen Grip. That way, you can retain the 5-set bonus well after you start replacing individual pieces with random dropped upgrades. You get a whole lot more mileage out of your effort when doing this for leveling alts.

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the biggest mistake I've made was just crafting the wrong the level. Usually happens when I go from crafting an item like a hat, chest, legs to a waist, gloves, shoulders, boots because they require different amounts of mats.
    Wouldn't hurt if there was an option similar to "Buy Back" from merchants where you could deconstruct the things you've just made and receive 100% of the mats involved, but gain no experience from it.

They should just add a 'Cousin Vinny' option. :p

file.php?2,file=18448,filename=MyCousinVinny3k.jpg
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But even in this scenario, I think it makes WAY more sense to just craft all 9 pieces in Ashen Grip. That way, you can retain the 5-set bonus well after you start replacing individual pieces with random dropped upgrades. You get a whole lot more mileage out of your effort when doing this for leveling alts.

As mentioned previously in this thread, what if you don't know enough traits on some items to craft them in that set?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭

But remember you CAN'T craft set items if you don't have enough traits researched. This means when you're starting out researching if you haven't got the minimum number of traits researched on a particular armor piece you would not be able to craft that item AT ALL at the special station without the current system - so it's possible he could not have just crafted all of them as Ashen Grip in that circumstance. This is why it's important/convenient to have both available. Otherwise you'd have to run back to town to craft any pieces you hadn't researched enough on yet.

oops missed that somoene above just said this same thing.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on September 18, 2015 4:29AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    As mentioned previously in this thread, what if you don't know enough traits on some items to craft them in that set?

Yep, this is exactly why I didn't just craft 7 Ashen Grip items. I think I have about 6 medium armour I can make, but not the complete 7. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to run back to a forge just for one piece.
  • CaliberSH
    CaliberSH

That might not work, as then people would be able to craft something, deconstruct for 100% "on accident", and reconstruct the same thing, then rinse and repeat in order to gain XP for crafting "many items".