Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

BUG in Quest: Save the Son (Stormfall)

Shadowshire
Shadowshire
✭✭✭✭
If memory serves, this quest chain begins with Holgunn after re-capturing Fort Virak. He directs the avatar to contact the chieftain at Kragenmoor, far to to the south. When the chief is contacted, he directs the avatar to meet with his senechal, who proceeds to give various quests to the avatar.

One such quest, Save the Son, is to rescue the chieftain's son, "Sen", from captivity in the nearby mine. So my avatar entered the mine and fought his way through the maze to the location where the son was supposedly being held.

However, the cage of iron bars contained only an empty stool on which the absent prisoner could sit. Also, I did not see any evident door to the cage, whether locked. I don't believe that I ever was apprised of any particular requirement to acquire and use a key or other instrument, only to find the location of the son.

At the same time that my avatar was approaching the cage, another player's avatar ran past mine to the cage. After I arrived and found the cage empty, the other player's avatar jumped from the location to the floor near the entrance below and began fighting the re-spawned mobs that my avatar had previously encountered. Evidently he intended to exit the mine via the same tunnel through which each of us, respectively, had entered it.

So I supposed that the other player's avatar had released Sen from the cage before I arrived. I waited for Sen to re-spawn but nothing happened. So it seemed possible that my avatar was given credit for the release, too, if that had happened.

When I returned to the quest-giver, she only responded as though my avatar had not completed the quest and offered no access to the previous conversation during which it was given. Also, there was nothing in the Journal that would signify that my avatar needed to do anything other than to find "Sen" in the mine.

So my avatar returned to the mine and proceded to fight his way again to the location of Sen. In the large room through which he moves to the last tunnel leading to Sen's location, there is a door on the north wall that was previously inactive. The avatar of the other player suddenly arrived on the scene again and used that door to exit. However, my avatar could not follow him. Evidently there is some presumption that an avatar will use that door to exit after releasing Sen instead of returning to the entrance. As to when the player might be instructed to do that, I don't know.

After the other avatar's exit, my avatar continued to fight his way to Sen's location again. However, the cage remained empty. I logged-out to the character selection screen and took a break. When I resumed, nothing had changed, the cage was still empty. So I returned to the quest-giver, but that was no good, nor was running the dungeon again for the third time any different as to outcome.

Reluctantly, I decided to abandon the quest and pick it up again. I've never done that before in TESO but it is easy to do in WoW. However, after I abandoned it, the quest-giver for "Save the Son" had vanished and I could not find her anywhere on the map. The chieftain still thought I was looking for his son. None of the NPCs which my avatar had to locate and talk with (in order to meet the chieftain after leaving Holugunn at Fort Virak) were still present. When my avatar returned to Holgunn today, the coversation was simply a repeat of the remarks that Holgunn had made after my avatar had accepted the quest to go to Kragenmoor to seek the aid of the chieftain.

This is very, very demoralizing. Unfortunately, I not only have a lot of time and effort invested in the quest, but also in the story-line. As things stand, I cannot complete the uber-quest to re-imprison the second Brother in his tower (- ? -). If this sort of disaster is a common occurrence, then please let me know so that I won't waste any more time and effort playing TESO.

Please advise.
--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you are certain as to where you are looking, the quest giver for "Saving the Son" is Denu Faren, located inside the Grandmaster's Palace in Kragenmoor on the right-hand side. I assume that you have successfully completed "Aggressive Negotiations", which is the first quest in Kragenmoor where you have to search the barracks for info.

You should also log off for fifteen minutes before trying to accept the quest again to ensure that the area has properly reset. Do you have any other active quests in your Journal?

If this doesn't help, there is server maintenance this week which usually fixes missing NPCs. If there's still a problem after that, submit a ticket to Support and provide a reference to this thread.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Just so you are certain as to where you are looking, the quest giver for "Saving the Son" is Denu Faren, located inside the Grandmaster's Palace in Kragenmoor on the right-hand side. I assume that you have successfully completed "Aggressive Negotiations", which is the first quest in Kragenmoor where you have to search the barracks for info.

You should also log off for fifteen minutes before trying to accept the quest again to ensure that the area has properly reset. Do you have any other active quests in your Journal?

If this doesn't help, there is server maintenance this week which usually fixes missing NPCs. If there's still a problem after that, submit a ticket to Support and provide a reference to this thread.

If memory serves, Denu Faren is the "seneschal" to whom the chieftain referred me, as I described. Initially she is in the location you describe. But she is outside the grandmaster's palace when the avatar returns from completing "Save the Son", near the SE corner.

As I recall, I did complete "Aggressive Negotiations" successfully before acquiring the next quest. I have a lot of questing experience, so I am very careful about completing one before I undertake another.

After abandoning "Save the Son", I did not find the quest-giver or other NPCs, as I described. So I logged-out to the character selection screen and took a break, but I don't know how long it was. There were a few other quests in the Journal at the time, which I had not finished. However, the point of progress at which I always halt is when another sub-quest, such as finding an NPC, has been offered, but I have not accepted it yet.

When I log-out during the middle of a quest in progress, I always finish it before beginning any other quest.

Thank-you for your advice.

Edited by Shadowshire on September 14, 2015 7:09PM

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Several hours after the server patch maintenance on Monday morning (Sept. 13, 2015) for the North American megaserver, I logged-in to play the avatar which encountered the problem with the quest "Saving The Son". See: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Saving_the_Son

The quest-giver, Denu Faren, was where I previously found her, outside the Kragenmoor manor near the southeast corner. She gave the quest to my avatar, who proceeded to the House Dres Crypts via the tunnel which is entered at the bottom of the cliff face to the west of the manor.

Of course, after fighting my way almost to the end, some other player's avatar wearing plate armor and armed with a 2-handed sword intervened in the next-to-last fight. Then he raced to engage the next two NPCs that were near the cage in which Sen Dres was reportedly being held. So he got to the cage before I did and proceeded to jump-off the cliff on the west side of the cave to return to the entrance hall of the crypts. I never saw that character again.

And the cage was empty when I arrived. So, what to do? I decided to log-out for at least 15 minutes, and when I logged-in again I discovered that, of course, my avatar was at the start of the tunnel leading into the interior area where the entry to the crypts is located. All of the NPCs have been re-spawned. Great, I get to do the effin' quest yet again! Then I was killed once and resumed the quest at the "wayshrine" which was, actually, the start of the crypt entrance. However, most of the mobs had not re-spawned yet. So I mostly had to fight just the NPCs that I had not fought during the ongoing attempt.

Be that as it was, when I eventually won the last fight and proceeded to the cage, it was empty.

So I decided to hang around until the NPCs were re-spawned, hoping that Sen Dres would be re-spawned also -- i.e., in the cage. Of course I had to kill one NPC in the room before and the last two NPCs near the cage in order to reach it.

Now, I don't know whether any other player's avatar has found and released Sen, and went on to complete the quest.

All I know is that I have yet to see Sen Dres inside that cage instead of an empty chair.

I haven't abandoned the quest and Denu Faren speaks to my avatar as though it has not been finished.

Edited by Shadowshire on September 16, 2015 3:32PM