Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Myth? Green & Blue Recipes give the same XP?

Kammakazi
Kammakazi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
True?

Falseurudesuoni-chan?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    False.

XP given by recipes / cooking depend on the color of the recipe but it's not the only factor. Overall level plays a role too, and at equal level/color, some recipes give more xp than others, based (presumably) on the rarity of the recipe or of the ingredients.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just loaded up the game and did some testing on my mule who is still leveling Provisioning. Bottom line, other than the first time you ever make a Blue recipe, the Inspiration is exactly the same between Blue and Green recipes. The only thing that increases your Inspiration is the recipe level. For example, making a Green/Blue L40 gives me 15,600 points, making an L45 Green/Blue gives me 17,550 points. Same with Drinks too. Note I have ESO Plus and the Inspiration Boost from the Champ System if your trying to match the numbers on your character.

Ingredients have no bearing or impact on this. Quality of Recipe has no impact on this, other than the first time you make something at that quality level. Only recipe level determines the amount of Inspiration you get.

So, you want to level Provisioning by making the least amount of foods and using up the least ingredients, then make the highest Green recipe you can.
    Edited by Nestor on September 13, 2015 2:51PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ingredients have no bearing or impact on this. Quality of Recipe has no impact on this, other than the first time you make something at that quality level. Only recipe level determines the amount of Inspiration you get.

Wrong. Sorry, just wrong. Maybe you did not have enough recipes or no rare recipes learned when you tried. Some recipes give more XP (well, inspiration, as it is called) than others at the same level of recipe, at at the same quality.

It is true however that the level in general matters greatly.

• ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong. Sorry, just wrong. Maybe you did not have enough recipes or no rare recipes learned when you tried. Some recipes give more XP (well, inspiration, as it is called) than others at the same level of recipe, at at the same quality.

Nope Nestor is right. If you make it for the first time yes (as Nestor said). You get the same inspiration regardless from there on out except for by level. It's not even worth the boost to make 1 of each color before you make tons of the green as Provisioning can be leveled fast enough as it is.

We are talking greens vs blues. Purple shouldn't even be a consideration, as those purple mats are worth much more.

BTW I have every single recipe in the game learned on my main and have 5 max provisioners. The other 3 I purposely keep certain levels to get certain recipes to sell.
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on September 13, 2015 9:49PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still disagree : at the same level and the same color, some recipes provide more XP than others, whether you cook them for the first time or not.
    But... the readers of this thread are free to make up their own mind and test it by themselves, it's not crucial so let's just agree to disagree ;-)
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 14, 2015 1:00AM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've posted this before, but I'll post it again for those folks who are looking to level Provisioning with the least amount of ingredient possible.

Stockpile the following ingredients:
    • Fish
    • Flour - Pan-Fried Trout - Level 15
    • Cheese - Whiterun Cheese-Baked Trout - Level 20
    • Seasoning - Salted Cod - Level 25
    • Saltrice - Senchal Curry Fish and Rice - Level 30
    If you are fishing for the achievements, then you'll have plenty of fish laying around. If not, you can buy a metric boatload of fish in any guild store for relatively cheap. If you don't have the recipes, these too can be bought in the guild store. Then as you play through, loot these four ingredients and have at it. I've been cooking only Whiterun Cheese-Baked Trout and it's taken me to level 41, without grinding. If I recall correctly, I cooked 15 Whiterun Cheese-Baked Trout to reach level 41.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    I still disagree : at the same level and the same color, some recipes provide more XP than others, whether you cook them for the first time or not.
    But... the readers of this thread are free to make up their own mind and test it by themselves, it's not crucial so let's just agree to disagree ;-)

Can you give an example of a blue recipe that gives more XP than a green recipe of the same level?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tessie wrote: »

Can you give an example of a blue recipe that gives more XP than a green recipe of the same level?

No because my two chars are maxed out in provisioning so they don't register XP anymore, I cannot test, but I remember clearly that some recipes gave more XP than others at the same level while leveling them.

By the way I'm not talking blue vs. green. I'm referring to two green recipes of the same level giving different XP. Or two blue recipes of the same level giving different XP.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I made every L45 Recipe there is last night and every single one of them gave me exactly 17,550 Inspiration Points. I made another round of Blues where I have the same levels of Greens and the same thing. There is no difference between recipes with regards to Inspiration given.

I can do this because I have been feeding this provisioner recipes for more than a year now, but never leveled provisioning on this mule until recently.

Edited by Nestor on September 14, 2015 12:28PM

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I made every L45 Recipe there is last night and every single one of them gave me exactly 17,550 Inspiration Points. I made another round of Blues where I have the same levels of Greens and the same thing. There is no difference between recipes with regards to Inspiration given.

I can do this because I have been feeding this provisioner recipes for more than a year now, but never leveled provisioning on this mule until recently.

I still remember what I remember... but I also believe you and thank you for testing. Maybe things have changed or it's just a few recipes that give different XP, and maybe it's a bug and not an intended behaviour. Don't know.

• twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope Nestor is right. If you make it for the first time yes (as Nestor said). You get the same inspiration regardless from there on out except for by level. It's not even worth the boost to make 1 of each color before you make tons of the green as Provisioning can be leveled fast enough as it is.

We are talking greens vs blues. Purple shouldn't even be a consideration, as those purple mats are worth much more.

BTW I have every single recipe in the game learned on my main and have 5 max provisioners. The other 3 I purposely keep certain levels to get certain recipes to sell.

Out of curiosity:
    Is there really any reason other than being a completionist to have every recipe?
    I'm finding myself in that same race with 5 'toons right now, and I'm wondering whether I'm hosing resources over the side of the boat for the sake of just having all the boxes checked.

Thanks for any reply.
    Edited by twev on September 14, 2015 1:35PM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    Out of curiosity:
    Is there really any reason other than being a completionist to have every recipe?

Not that I know of. There's an achievement for learning 100 recipes (I think) but the game has 531 recipes or so at the moment so that's by far no reason to have them all).
    Having many recipes provide more flexibility to craft what you need with the ingredients you have, but that's negligible since you usually keep and stack only those you need... and apart from the specific case of Psijic Ambrosia, there are always multiple recipes for the same buff/level.

So aside from pure completionism, and the fun of reading all the crazy recipes they've created (I'd have loved to be in those brainstorming creative sessions :D ) there's no particular reason to collect them all.

• Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭

I still remember what I remember... but I also believe you and thank you for testing. Maybe things have changed or it's just a few recipes that give different XP, and maybe it's a bug and not an intended behaviour. Don't know.

Been Playing since beta 2014 and since I started provisioning before the big Provisioning Change 1.5/1.6 (when there could be 3 levels of a given recipe -green-blue-purple). After this all recipes were unique and ALL IP was based ONLY on the Recipe Level.
    Edited by Tallowby on September 14, 2015 2:05PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    Out of curiosity:
    I'm finding myself in that same race with 5 'toons right now, and I'm wondering whether I'm hosing resources over the side of the boat for the sake of just having all the boxes checked.

Thanks for any reply.

Not really. It's nice to have a green Health, Stamina and Magic Recipe for most levels, and to have a Blue one that supports your build for most levels. Also the Purples are useful to know, but you only need to know one really for each level you need one at. For that most part that is VR for Purples.

However, I do have one provisioner that I would like to get all the recipes on, just so I can check all those boxes. Quite frankly, you really only need one provisioner for all your alts anyway, but it is convenient if your alts can make the foods and drinks they need.

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have two recipes at same improvement level, but they make food to different character levels. Then they give different XP. As an example, one green recipe makes for character level 10 and another green to level 15. They both belong to recipe improvement level 1, but the latter gives more xp.
    Edited by helediron on September 14, 2015 11:45PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    You can have two recipes at same improvement level, but they make food to different character levels. Then they give different XP. As an example, one green recipe makes for character level 10 and another green to level 15. They both belong to recipe improvement level 1, but the latter gives more xp.

I think this is throwing gas on a fire and adding to confusion. Leave improvement level out of the equation. It should go without saying that Inspiration will increase with improvement level.

Recipes are distinctly labeled 5, 10, 15, up to 45 and beyond. Aside from initial usage, recipes of the same level regardless of quality yield the same ISP. It makes sense to level only using green recipes, since blues use more ingredients to no added benefit, including what you can sell them for to a vendor. (They may be worth more in guild store, but hard to say since the market is fickle for a number of reasons.)

In the forum, anecdotes, however true, carry less weight than testing with post results.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

anitajoneb17_ESO

Nestor

I thank you both for that input.

Ya'll are going to save me a lot of gold, now.

Respects.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.