Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mages Guild: When do I gain the final quest?

ChibiMechaX78
ChibiMechaX78
✭✭
As the title suggests I am trying to complete the Mages Guild line. I've read that there used to be a bug that would affect whether or not you could continue this Quest line. I've gotten my Mages Guild rank to 5 as I've seen many suggest to have. Do I need a higher rank or is this bug still around? My gut is telling me it is the latter...

This is frustrating because this has happened more than once. Ive created multiple characters, and I've only decided to complete the Fighters Guild Quest line twice on my two main characters because I just hit a roadblock when it comes to the Mages Guild Quests. Both characters being at rank 5.

• Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was the last quest you completed for the Mage's Guild?
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • psychojudge
    psychojudge
    ✭✭✭
    Normally shalidor contacts you when it is time for a quest from the mages guild when you enter a city i think.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Elsir wrote: »
    What was the last quest you completed for the Mage's Guild?

The last quest I did for the Mages Guild was the "Chateau of the Ravenous Rodent".
    The last quest is named "The Mad God's Bargain". Which I have yet to get yet.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Normally shalidor contacts you when it is time for a quest from the mages guild when you enter a city i think.

I have tried getting near, and or inside a mages guild building. Ive tried a handful of different Mages Guild buildings as I was just passing through to clean my inventory. That didn't work.

If Shalidor comes to see me as I enter a city he is probably waiting for me to enter a certain city.
    I've been to cities many; nothing. Of course I've just given up, and continued to quest amongst other things knowing eventually I'll get to complete it. Whether when it's fixed or when the game deems that I am worthy.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming it's still bugged. You could try going directly to Valaste in your fifth zone's main city (Riften, Evermore, or Rawl'kha), but that may not work either. Shalidor should appear when you approach any Mages Guild Hall in any city (except Riften, Evermore, or Rawl'kha) after reaching Mages Guild Rank 5, but there seems to be something stopping him from appearing. I have seen suggestions that getting to Mages Guild Rank 7 may cause the quest to appear, so you could always try that and report back.
    Edited by Enodoc on August 24, 2015 9:13AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's still bugged. You could try going directly to Valaste in your fifth zone's main city (Riften, Evermore, or Rawl'kha), but that may not work either. Shalidor should appear when you approach any Mages Guild Hall in any city (except Riften, Evermore, or Rawl'kha) after reaching Mages Guild Rank 5, but there seems to be something stopping him from appearing. I have seen suggestions that getting to Mages Guild Rank 7 may cause the quest to appear, so you could always try that and report back.

I've actually tried the Mages Guild in the area you suggested. My main is in the dominion, but regardless I've gone to both Riften(on my Pact toon) and Rawl'kha for my other. Didn't work. I also tried different mages guild buildings on top of those. It will take awhile to get the amount of lore books necessary to gain rank 7 :(. Do Lorebooks spawn randomly? Or they have set places they spawn? I mean I've gotten a very good idea in the types of places you can find them, but I imagine you won't find the same Lorebooks in the same spawn.

I say this cuz my friend once saw a lorebook that I couldn't see.
    I've never really asked before now on how due lorebook spawns work. Are they random in predictable spots? Or set locations like sky shards? If it's the latter I could use a map for that to get started.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lorebooks are set. See http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/lorebooks-locations-map/ (there's also an add-on for it if you're on PC)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the last quest after leaving the Daggerfall mages guild at around level 35-38 I think. I'm still only rank 5 in mages guild, so you definitely won't need any higher than that.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the last quest after leaving the Daggerfall mages guild at around level 35-38 I think. I'm still only rank 5 in mages guild, so you definitely won't need any higher than that.
    Thanks for posting that, it shows that it is still working as intended sometimes, which means it may sort itself out. ZOS really need to make sure that it's working consistently for everyone though.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Thanks for posting that, it shows that it is still working as intended sometimes, which means it may sort itself out. ZOS really need to make sure that it's working consistently for everyone though.

It's clearly not consistent as I've still not received the quest. Granted I haven't gotten to 6 in rank yet, but I just haven't been actively going after the Lorebooks. I've just been picking them up as I see them. I am very close to 6 though. Maybe once I reach a new rank something will happen. Though my gut is telling me don't get my hopes so that's why I won't actively go for them, and hope that it's fixed as as being consistent for everyone.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Update: I've been making my way slowly through Rivenspire doing Cadwells Gold. I've been juggling work and College so that's why I am slow. Anyways I've been gaining lorebooks and now 7 in the mages guild rank. I haven't been actively getting lorebooks so I know I've missed quite a few.

Regardless I still come back to Rawl'kha's mages guild to only have Valaste tell me she has translated the final book. This is becoming more frustrating. My completionist in me wants to finish this quest line so I can stop thinking about it, but Shali wont appear :(

I'm on PS4 if I didn't mention that already in this thread. I need a bug fix for this like Sheogorath needs cheese T_T.
    This is breaking heart! *dramtically falls over*

Edited by ChibiMechaX78 on September 2, 2015 7:39PM
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Update:
    So I finally got the last quest for the mages guild. After going all the way to Bangkorai I randomly saw a quest marker. Then saw Valaste's Name upon looking straight at it. I thought to myself "could it be" and sure enough it was. For whatever reason shalidor never appeared but I just so happened to stumble upon the quest near the Evermore Mages Guild.

it was funny being vet 6 killing enemies that were level 43 because I took so long gaining this quest.

Had this quest line progressed normally I would have to do it while still in Reapers March, Rawl'kha, but instead I had to go through all of Cadwells silver(the quest not appearing in Riften mind you) all the way to Bangkorai Evermore in Cadwells gold.

I don't have all the time in the world so I am progressing slowly, but I expected Shalidor to appear to give me the quest so I that may do it in Reapers March or something.

And if you were wondering yes I took the folium.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have all the time in the world so I am progressing slowly, but I expected Shalidor to appear to give me the quest so I that may do it in Reapers March or something.
    That's interesting, because that's what should happen. If you're in one of Cadwell's zones, you're supposed to be sent back to your own alliance zones for the Guild quests. Maybe there's some bug in the quest logic.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    That's interesting, because that's what should happen. If you're in one of Cadwell's zones, you're supposed to be sent back to your own alliance zones for the Guild quests. Maybe there's some bug in the quest logic.

It's what I assumed happened too. I admit, it was kinda awkward going to go do it while people around me were levels 35ish to 46ish then there is vet 6 me.

"This guy took his sweet *** time"

I'm just kinda glad it appeared at all in Evermore.

If my memory serves actually, when I was beginning EP on Cadwells silver, Shali actually came to me to do the quest before the last mages guild quest. The quest had me go to AD territory. So that's where I started assuming that should happen with the last quest too.

• mrdankles
    mrdankles
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get mages guild past rank 3...