The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Surge or entropy?

Azalin76
Azalin76
✭✭✭
Which is better for the spell power buff? Also which morph of surge is better?
Edited by Azalin76 on August 31, 2015 5:24PM
  • Xecil
    Xecil
    ✭✭✭
    Might of the Mage's Guild
    Waiting for open beta to be over.
  • Azalin76
    Azalin76
    ✭✭✭
    Is might better than the healing bonus? Mages seem very squishy lol
  • Xecil
    Xecil
    ✭✭✭
    Entropy > Degeneration Morph. Both are RNG heals. Choose your flavor. Entropy will have the added benefit of giving you a crap guaranteed heal, spell power, 20% boosted next attack, and heal for 100% of your weapon damage on chance.
    Waiting for open beta to be over.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. Chain chug Spell Power pots for your buffs.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge seem to work better now in 2.1.x, nevertheless I still kept Structured Entrophy. Bonus HP, bonus Magicka, MoTD passive - you simply can't leave this behind unnoticed.
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends: Spell pots for max DPS, otherwise just use entropy (PvE) or surge for PvP. I like surge more in PvP now because it works on damage shields now and can be cast before you get in a fight. Otherwise Entropy is superior.
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Azalin76
    Azalin76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the tips, is it better to use surge until I get mages guild to level 10? With no power buff it pretty much does the same thing.
    Edited by Azalin76 on September 1, 2015 12:57PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zlater wrote: »
    It really depends: Spell pots for max DPS, otherwise just use entropy (PvE) or surge for PvP. I like surge more in PvP now because it works on damage shields now and can be cast before you get in a fight. Otherwise Entropy is superior.

I use them the other way around, for pvp I use Entropy because I want as much burst as possible and MotG bonus is nice. For pve I dont want to loose time buffing up every 10 sec so I use Surge. The heal from surge is unreliable in pvp because you cannot crit on shields and block.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    May want to add power surge is the only morph that provides spell power as a buff, leaving that as the only morph. Pre morph it gives no spell power buff.
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the Empower buff (Might of the Guild) doesn't actually increase the damage of the next attack by 20%, only your weapon/spell damage. The actual damage increase is around 6%.

Imo Surge is by far the better option.. lasts much longer and gives a strong heal.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge by far.
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surge by far.

Darn, I really like getting health back from entropy.
    Surge huh?

• s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge by far.

Surge huh?

Surge will give you so much more health back than entropy.
  • WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭
    Surge by far.

Surge huh?

Surge will give you so much more health back than entropy.

Only Critical Surge heals you and it does not provide the extra spell damage.

Power Surge gives spell damage, but no heals.

Entropy is superior because of its synergy with passives. Increased max magicka, increased magicka regen, a HoT, some damage, increased max health if you use it on your main bar (if not, then use Degeneration for the chance on heal), a 20% increase in damage on your next attack, and finally, a spell damage boost (the same one that Power Surge gives).
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spam degeneration on everyone and let the destruction heavy attacks fly. This is just the way I play, no idea what is better. I use degeneration over entropy because to make the most of the hp buff from entropy you really need it on both bars. I switch bars too often to make use of it on one bar. I choose degeneration over surge for the Might of the Guild passive. This is for pvp. For trials/dungeons I still crit surge and then fire ring everything.
    PC | EU
  • WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭
    Spam degeneration on everyone and let the destruction heavy attacks fly. This is just the way I play, no idea what is better. I use degeneration over entropy because to make the most of the hp buff from entropy you really need it on both bars. I switch bars too often to make use of it on one bar. I choose degeneration over surge for the Might of the Guild passive. This is for pvp. For trials/dungeons I still crit surge and then fire ring everything.

I agree on the Degeneration over Structured unless you keep Structured on the main bar and don't swap bars too often.

And you bring up a good point that Critical Surge is good for dealing with large groups of mobs.
  • Azalin76
    Azalin76
    ✭✭✭
    Both critical surge and power surge have a heal, critical surge may heal for less but the extra spell power means higher heals when you do crit.
  • WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭
    Azalin76 wrote: »
    Both critical surge and power surge have a heal, critical surge may heal for less but the extra spell power means higher heals when you do crit.

I was looking at an outdated skills list, so that is my mistake. Even with the heals, I don't see it being better than all the things that Entropy has to offer.
    Edited by WyldfireWyrm on September 2, 2015 1:52AM
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Zlater wrote: »

I use them the other way around, for pvp I use Entropy because I want as much burst as possible and MotG bonus is nice. For pve I dont want to loose time buffing up every 10 sec so I use Surge. The heal from surge is unreliable in pvp because you cannot crit on shields and block.

Haha I really thought this was working in PvP now, oops I guess I read it wrong, maybe its cause people weren't using shields as much in the PTS xD Anyway thanks :D
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • TheFamousMockingbird
    In terms applying the entropy effect, can it be active on multiple opponents?
    I always thought it was like other spells where you can only have one active.
  • WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭
    In terms applying the entropy effect, can it be active on multiple opponents?
    I always thought it was like other spells where you can only have one active.

You can have the spell active on multiple opponents, but the only effect that will be additive is the HoT. All the other effects will remain the same.
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    Sup guys and gals, been gone for a while from eso and this forum due to the arrival of a new baby. Now that my IRL has settle down I can get some gaming time. Back to the subject at hand. Imo, if your running a dot build use entropy, if not use surge. On my non dot build sorcerer I use surge, but as @thelon says, for max dps use spell power pots cause they last longer. I only use surge before fight starts and when pot runs out and is still on cool down than I use surge again. Less you pop surge the more time on target you can be. Most of times I only need to use surge twice since boss would be dead by than. Also, don't forget the 2% spell power increase for any sorcerer ability. My execute is on my back bar (mages wrath) and so is surge. So it's nice to have that extra spell damage. Btw, my perspective/view of this topic might change because I have yet to play with the changes of Imperial city since it came out 2 days ago from me writing this post. It really comes down testing it yourself and seeing what works for you. Since idk what gear your running/skills your using and what your rotation of said skills are. Hope my input helps and good luck on making/tweaking your build. Remember max dps isn't everything. As long as you enjoy your build. Run it.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh_Skrivva wrote: »
    Sup guys and gals, been gone for a while from eso and this forum due to the arrival of a new baby. Now that my IRL has settle down I can get some gaming time. Back to the subject at hand. Imo, if your running a dot build use entropy, if not use surge. On my non dot build sorcerer I use surge, but as @thelon says, for max dps use spell power pots cause they last longer. I only use surge before fight starts and when pot runs out and is still on cool down than I use surge again. Less you pop surge the more time on target you can be. Most of times I only need to use surge twice since boss would be dead by than. Also, don't forget the 2% spell power increase for any sorcerer ability. My execute is on my back bar (mages wrath) and so is surge. So it's nice to have that extra spell damage. Btw, my perspective/view of this topic might change because I have yet to play with the changes of Imperial city since it came out 2 days ago from me writing this post. It really comes down testing it yourself and seeing what works for you. Since idk what gear your running/skills your using and what your rotation of said skills are. Hope my input helps and good luck on making/tweaking your build. Remember max dps isn't everything. As long as you enjoy your build. Run it.

Congrats on the new arrival.

From here on out your life is all about the dlc!

Diapers, lotion, cream.

Best of luck.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit surg
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the max health passive stick with you if its slotted on a bar you are currently not using?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do both. Surge on my off-bar (or overload bar if I need more AoE), Structured Entropy on my main bar since my rotation is usually Velocious Curse > Force Pulse/Weave Combo > Entropy on Frags proc > Frags > Entropy > Repeat
    Does the max health passive stick with you if its slotted on a bar you are currently not using?
    It does not.
    Edited by Scyantific on September 8, 2015 10:20PM
  • WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭

No.